The Godzilla Cringe Thread

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
UltramanGoji

Re: The Godzilla Cringe Thread

Post by UltramanGoji »

I'm going to school for Film Studies so I genuinely try to apply some of the stuff I've learned to my discussions about films. I'm absolutely nowhere near an expert on film critique but I think it's important to discuss why we like and dislike certain films and the aspects of them that we find appealing or unappealing.

Of course, there's also just some films where I don't apply any of that stuff and just enjoy it at face value. A number of movies I'd put on my "favorites" list are like that, 9, Chappie, etc. are all films that don't hold up when looked at purely through a critical eye. But that's okay. A lot of my favorites I admire purely for creative decisions made by the crew behind them.

It's important to understand that not everyone will want to look at things through the eyes of a Roger Ebert and it's also equally as important to not chastise people who just want to kick back and relax. Film criticism is important but it shouldn't be a necessity when discussing movies.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

UltramanGoji wrote:I'm going to school for Film Studies so I genuinely try to apply some of the stuff I've learned to my discussions about films. I'm absolutely nowhere near an expert on film critique but I think it's important to discuss why we like and dislike certain films and the aspects of them that we find appealing or unappealing.

Of course, there's also just some films where I don't apply any of that stuff and just enjoy it at face value. A number of movies I'd put on my "favorites" list are like that, 9, Chappie, etc. are all films that don't hold up when looked at purely through a critical eye. But that's okay. A lot of my favorites I admire purely for creative decisions made by the crew behind them.

It's important to understand that not everyone will want to look at things through the eyes of a Roger Ebert and it's also equally as important to not chastise people who just want to kick back and relax. Film criticism is important but it shouldn't be a necessity when discussing movies.
I find that Im agreeing with you more often...... :shock: . Scary shiit bro, scary shiit....... :lol:

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

UltramanGoji wrote:I'm going to school for Film Studies so I genuinely try to apply some of the stuff I've learned to my discussions about films. I'm absolutely nowhere near an expert on film critique but I think it's important to discuss why we like and dislike certain films and the aspects of them that we find appealing or unappealing.

There's this assumption a lot of people make that, if you can analyze why a movie does or doesn't work for you, that you must therefore have watched it with an obsessively critical eye and decided consciously whether or not you were going to like it. It's weird.

I an most of my close friends have film educations, or have just spent a ton of time talking about and reading about movies outside of that environment, and we spend a lot of time (and take a lot of pleasure) in dissecting what works for us and what doesn't. But that part comes after the initial, emotional response. We don't decide what to like based on analysis, we analyze to get a sense of why we did or did not respond to a movie. The initial process is no different from anybody else's.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Jeff-Goldblum2
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jeff-Goldblum2 »

I dislike youtube videos with montages of Godzilla clips that set the video to some metal song without context.

The film scores in place always capture more emotion and atmosphere of the scene.
Last edited by Jeff-Goldblum2 on Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Jeff-Goldblum2 wrote:I dislike youtube videos with montages of Godzilla clips that set the video to some metal song without context.

The film scores in place always capture more emotion and atmosphere of the scene.
I'm fine with that. What I never got was putting Godzilla scenes to Bring Me to Life by Evanescence. :?

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Kaiju AMVs have been dope since always.. it's like hype videos, just like anime AMVs. Not everything needs emotional piano themes, save that for the films.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Jeff-Goldblum2 wrote:I dislike youtube videos with montages of Godzilla clips that set the video to some metal song without context.

I concur. Rock songs just don't seem very "Godzilla-like", Godzilla needs that oomph.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Living Corpse wrote:

I'm fine with that. What I never got was putting Godzilla scenes to Bring Me to Life by Evanescence. :?
Can say the same about Crawling and Breaking the Habit

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I did see a video with scenes of G3 that used Bring Me To Life. I feel that song does in a way fit the film.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

Any time someone mentions "omg why doesn't Godzilla move he just stands there" as some sort of criticism is pretty bad, especially when it's paired with other "the human talky scenes ruin Shin/Anime" complaints. Does movement correlate to how good something is? People would LOVE television toku if that was the case.

So dynamic and lifelike.... take notes Anno and Polygon!
Last edited by Mr_Goji_and_Watch on Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:Any time someone mentions "omg why doesn't Godzilla move he just stands there" as some sort of criticism is pretty bad, especially when it's paired with other "the human talky scenes ruin Shin/Anime" complaints. Does movement correlate to how good something is? People would LOVE television toku if that was the case.
I think personally I'd rather have a Godzilla that moves similar to an animal that has been freshly nuked to shiit.

So, animalistic movements, injured, bring back the Keloid scarring, maybe jerky motions due to some spots on him hurting more than others, something similar to spastic ticks, he may seem like he's malevolent, but he's just doing what any injured animal would do, attacking the first thing it sees. I know it kinda takes the God part away which I'm not a fan of, but it could just be a starting point for his character.

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:Any time someone mentions "omg why doesn't Godzilla move he just stands there" as some sort of criticism is pretty bad, especially when it's paired with other "the human talky scenes ruin Shin/Anime" complaints. Does movement correlate to how good something is? People would LOVE television toku if that was the case.

So dynamic and lifelike.... take notes Anno and Polygon!
I think it's valid to say that with the first fully-animated Godzilla film - a medium not held back by the constraints of a live-action production, where you could have the monsters do whatever you want them to do - that the filmmakers chose to make their Godzilla one of the slowest and least mobile yet rather than take full advantage of the medium is definitely disappointing. I get what they were going for - Godzilla as a physical god, a living mountain capable of threatening a space-faring civilizaton - and Godzilla's depiction definitely fits that - but even so I can understand where people are coming from. To say that alone completely ruins the anime trilogy, yeah, that's way too simplistic a criticism.
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

G2000 wrote:To say that alone completely ruins the anime trilogy, yeah, that's way too simplistic a criticism.
That's part and parcel for this fandom, really. I've seen so many people that movies were bad because of the most minor things. Most well known probably being "Mothra vs Godzilla bad because he loses 2 baby worms WTF".
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

_JNavs_ wrote: I think personally I'd rather have a Godzilla that moves similar to an animal that has been freshly nuked to shiit.
That's called a dead animal, dude.
Last edited by Dr. Professor on Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

_JNavs_ wrote: I think personally I'd rather have a Godzilla that moves similar to an animal that has been freshly nuked to shiit.
Wait? Sooooo........ash particles floating in the fallout winds?

Also.......how does a nuked animal move?

KingKong2005
EDF Instructor

Post by KingKong2005 »

_JNavs_ wrote:
I think personally I'd rather have a Godzilla that moves similar to an animal that has been freshly nuked to shiit.

So, animalistic movements, injured, bring back the Keloid scarring, maybe jerky motions due to some spots on him hurting more than others, something similar to spastic ticks, he may seem like he's malevolent, but he's just doing what any injured animal would do, attacking the first thing it sees. I know it kinda takes the God part away which I'm not a fan of, but it could just be a starting point for his character.
Exactly dude! And he heals overtime, that's what I thought Shin was gonna be. Not something that's already an abomination that doesn't progressively heal.
Image Image

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

How Godzilla moves is more a reflection of the film he's in. Gojira had a slow and ponderous kaiju, but the intention for the film was to show a massive and powerful creature. The later Showa films, Godzilla moves quickly and more like a human. This is largely because of the physical combat required in the films.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

KingKong2005
EDF Instructor

Post by KingKong2005 »

edgaguirus wrote:How Godzilla moves is more a reflection of the film he's in. Gojira had a slow and ponderous kaiju, but the intention for the film was to show a massive and powerful creature. The later Showa films, Godzilla moves quickly and more like a human. This is largely because of the physical combat required in the films.
But then it gets to the point where he's just too slow. And too big.
Image Image

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

KingKong2005 wrote:
edgaguirus wrote:How Godzilla moves is more a reflection of the film he's in. Gojira had a slow and ponderous kaiju, but the intention for the film was to show a massive and powerful creature. The later Showa films, Godzilla moves quickly and more like a human. This is largely because of the physical combat required in the films.
But then it gets to the point where he's just too slow. And too big.
I'd like to see him react the way a burned dinosaur would react, horrifying, blood curdling roars almost as if he's screaming in pain, snapping at everything in sight, his skin almost boiling from all the burns on his body as if the radioactivity is still affecting him (remember he was basically ground zero for the bomb), spikes abnormally sticking out of his spine looking like sharp Christmas tree shaped dorsal bones (not fins), when he coughs he accidentally unleashes a blue radioactive flame from his mouth etc

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

It's nigh impossible to go out looking for semi-decent fanart anymore without running into all sorts of anthromorphization, gijinka, "kaiju girls", ponification, and other assorted shit. It's not even buried anymore, you run into it on like the second page nowadays

I miss when the degenerates would stay in their fucking holes
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST