The Godzilla Cringe Thread

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
KingKong2005
EDF Instructor

Re: The Godzilla Cringe Thread

Post by KingKong2005 »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:
It took me time to think, but I finally figure out why they weren't executed well.

Because they weren't monsters.

Jackson made them seem like monsters with his cinematography but they never actually did anything inhuman. They didn't have some bizzare inhuman movement or behaviors, they acted like people. Creepy people from a native culture but still people. That's why it doesn't work. Because the film treats them as inhuman monsters, when the only evidence is acting creepy and doing a ritual of their culture.

I probably skreeonked up the explanation but that's how I feel.
They were monsters. They clubbed a man's head in on sight and cheered afterwards, were going to do the same with Carl, taken Ann and were gonna do god knows what with her, speared Mike, and beat both Jack and Bruce as well as the others. The film treats them properly, so sorry bro I don't really see your point?
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:
GojiDude95 wrote:Times were different
It was 13 skreeonking YEARS AGO unless you're talking about the orginal, but I'm pretty sure you weren't. Clarify if I'm wrong
He probably meant the original, but even then in 2005 it was okay since the natives were meant to be as portrayed. There was nothing wrong or racist with it, people are just looking too much into it or are trying to grasp at straws here.
I'm too lazy to quote all your other stuff, but for one thing in this case it is good to embrace stereotypes (which by the way exist for a reason). But really there is no embracing of stereotypes here, just what the story required. You say it's more badass to have an advanced civil people, and guess what!? There were, they have just been wiped out and replaced by these more savage and tragic people. The advanced civilization that existed has gigantic ruins left all over the island, and seeing these as ruins is much more badass in my opinion honestly. You say everyone is entitled to their own opinions, which is completely fine friend, but you and dr professors claims on the natives being portrayed in blackface is wrong just does not make sense. It was a different time for one thing, and there were limitations in finding the right people to fit the role (black people). The 2005 topic was derailed I totally forgot what you were arguing, but yeah there's no racism in those films.
Image Image

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Post by HeiseiGodzilla117 »

The Skull Island natives are a fictional race/culture. They can be portrayed as brutal because, quite frankly, when the world is a harsh place it tends to create harsh people. I don't have even the slightest problem with their portrayal. There may be some iffy stuff in the 33 movie. I haven't watched it in a while. But 2005 did nothing questionable in that regard.
Last edited by HeiseiGodzilla117 on Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

There's a big difference between the internal logic of a narractive and the more abstract (but none the less real) implications of the presentation/representation of race in cultural production.

However, I also don't think that a Godzilla message board is a space in which a sufficiently nuanced conversation about the topic is likely to take place, so even before I hit "submit" party of me is regretting the decision to comment on the issue at all.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

KingKong2005
EDF Instructor

Post by KingKong2005 »

eabaker wrote:There's a big difference between the internal logic of a narractive and the more abstract (but none the less real) implications of the presentation/representation of race in cultural production.

However, I also don't think that a Godzilla message board is a space in which a sufficiently nuanced conversation about the topic is likely to take place, so even before I hit "submit" party of me is regretting the decision to comment on the issue at all.
Not much of an issue. It's like people who were saying Godzilla Fans are racist because they like seeing Japan get destroyed or some shit, just people looking into it too much trying to find an issue with nothing :|
Image Image

Mechagigan
Futurian

Post by Mechagigan »

Probably best we move on from the topic altogether...

Anyway, how 'bout them Kaiju? I cringed when Kamata-Kun dabbed in Shin Godzilla.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

KingKong2005 wrote:
eabaker wrote:There's a big difference between the internal logic of a narractive and the more abstract (but none the less real) implications of the presentation/representation of race in cultural production.

Not much of an issue. It's like people who were saying Godzilla Fans are racist because they like seeing Japan get destroyed or some shit, just people looking into it too much trying to find an issue with nothing :|
I'm gonna go out on a limb and theorize that you have't studied much film theory. Whether viewed through the lenses of cultural discourse, psychoanalysis, or reader-response theory (or, obviously, a variable recipe of all three, which is more or less what I subscribe to), the meaning-making/interpretive process not only makes room for, but often fundamentally depends on considering the multiple implications that can be read into a work based not just on plot, but on imagery, tone, and the context of the production of the work.

That "Godzilla fans are racist" thing was totally inconsistent with the meaning and the context of the works being discussed. In fact, it wasn't even discussing the work; it was simply throwing unfounded accusations at a portion of the audience. Criticisms of King Kong as offering potentially racist readings - based specifically on the visual, tonal and stylistic presentation of characters of color, in a narrative that offers limited alternative depictions, and in the context of a broader culture that has long associated certain racial markers with savagery and violence - are not the same thing at all.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Post by HeiseiGodzilla117 »

Mechagigan wrote:
Anyway, how 'bout them Kaiju? I cringed when Kamata-Kun dabbed in Shin Godzilla.

But that's my favorite part. It's right before he topples that building. I could really feel that family's dread as they watched a gigantic turkey fetus monster dab before he crashed into them.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Andrew the Gojifan
Monsterland Worker

Post by Andrew the Gojifan »

Mechagigan wrote:Probably best we move on from the topic altogether...

Wait what?!
Life is a Pay to Win rage game

KingKong2005
EDF Instructor

Post by KingKong2005 »

^Right?! I don't remember that either
Image Image

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

HeiseiGodzilla117 wrote:
Mechagigan wrote:

But that's my favorite part. It's right before he topples that building. I could really feel that family's dread as they watched a gigantic turkey fetus monster dab before he crashed into them.
The atomic breath scene couldn't even live up to this scene - it was truly a height the franchise will never reach again.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

GojiDude95
Interpol Agent

Post by GojiDude95 »

Added in 2 minutes 36 seconds:
The names that they gave form A and form B. I cringe when they use "kun" it sounds like something from the the depths of anime cancer.

Added in 4 minutes :
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:
It was 13 skreeonking YEARS AGO unless you're talking about the orginal, but I'm pretty sure you weren't. Clarify if I'm wrong
I kinda butchered my own response lol!
Yeah I didn't just mean the original I meant the portrayal of any of the natives but again I messed up cause I was trying to answer ALL of the nitpicks you might've had with how they portray natives.
I also might've taken a bit too many migraine pills :lol:
Last edited by GojiDude95 on Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:41 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

GojiDude95 wrote:Added in 2 minutes 36 seconds:
The names that they gave form A and form B. I cringe when they use "kun" it sounds like something from the the depths of anime cancer.
It's not like that's an actual thing in the Japanese language and are the name Japan has given them :roll: be happy its not used in the film

GojiDude95
Interpol Agent

Post by GojiDude95 »

I am glad that they weren't but the majority of the fans due. I just refer to them as Form A and Form B.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

GojiDude95 wrote:I am glad that they weren't but the majority of the fans due. I just refer to them as Form A and Form B.
that's even cringier since it's what the toys of them are called ;)

GojiDude95
Interpol Agent

Post by GojiDude95 »

Maybe so. It just reminds me back then when we were speculating how his two forms were gonna look. I thought the burnt 4th form was the first look then he genuinely heals throughout the movie and ends up looking like a traditional Godzilla
I guess it's no surprise that I'm not a big anime guy yet I grew up with DBZ, Pokemon, and Yugioh. Ironic I know.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

The names that they gave
I kinda butchered my own response lol!
Yeah I didn't just mean the original I meant the portrayal of any of the natives but again I messed up cause I was trying to answer ALL of the nitpicks you might've had with how they portray natives.
I also might've taken a bit too many migraine pills :lol: [/quote]
It's cool, man. I kinda got a little nuts. I don't care anymore. The natives were less racist, just unappealing to me. Sorry if I was rude.

Though I disagree with you on the kun thing

RIP Evan.

GojiDude95
Interpol Agent

Post by GojiDude95 »

All's good my friend.

KingKong2005
EDF Instructor

Post by KingKong2005 »

Yall know what's cringe to me? The overuse of Rodan, Mothra, and King Ghidorah!
Image Image

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for someone to agree with you, I can tell you, you've found him. Its okay if you dont respond to me but I will look for you, I will find you, and I will high five you.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

KingKong2005 wrote:Yall know what's cringe to me? The overuse of Rodan, Mothra, and King Ghidorah!
Although I wouldn't consider that cringe, I agree with you about Mothra and KG. Rodan....... we haven't seen enough of him.

Honestly I think the word "cringe" has lost its meaning.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos