The Godzilla Cringe Thread

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
SoggyNoodles2016

Re: The Godzilla Cringe Thread

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

In a variation from all the internet and fandom cringe,

that one scene in DAM where they yank out Kyoko's earing controllers while everyone is screaming at her and she's sobbing makes me VERY uncomfortable.

RIP Evan.

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:In a variation from all the internet and fandom cringe,

that one scene in DAM where they yank out Kyoko's earing controllers while everyone is screaming at her and she's sobbing makes me VERY uncomfortable.
Same! Add the fact that she's bleeding profusely. The whole scene is just hard to watch.

SoggyNoodles2016

DirektorSplennic wrote:

Same! Add the fact that she's bleeding profusely. The whole scene is just hard to watch.
It's so bizarrely dark.

It feels so out of place. I wonder if it was intentional on Honda's part like the darker stuff in TOMG, partially to make it closer to the original and partially to break the kiddy mold he felt the films were stuck in.

RIP Evan.

AllosaurHell
Monarch Researcher

Post by AllosaurHell »

People who complain about Scylla and insist that Kumonga should have been in KOTM instead, Kumonga is literally just a giant tarantula and nowhere near as interesting as a spider-crab-squid thing that shoots liquid nitrogen, why people hate Scylla and prefer Kumonga is beyond me.
A maker of fun cartoons and puppets for everyone's entertainment on my YouTube channel "Allosaur House"
Your local stan of Lone Wolf Baron Corbin, Shin Godzilla and Dinosaur enthusiast and Mexican young adult that lives in Canada.

You can find me elsewhere here: https://linktr.ee/AllosaurHouse

Orichalcum
Interpol Agent

Post by Orichalcum »

Dude, Scylla couldn’t compare to kumonga even if she rode a Harley and smoked camal crushes
*Formerly known as Stump Feet*

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

AllosaurHell wrote:People who complain about Scylla and insist that Kumonga should have been in KOTM instead, Kumonga is literally just a giant tarantula and nowhere near as interesting as a spider-crab-squid thing that shoots liquid nitrogen, why people hate Scylla and prefer Kumonga is beyond me.
Wait this is a thing?

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

AllosaurHell wrote:People who complain about Scylla and insist that Kumonga should have been in KOTM instead, Kumonga is literally just a giant tarantula and nowhere near as interesting as a spider-crab-squid thing that shoots liquid nitrogen, why people hate Scylla and prefer Kumonga is beyond me.
Kumonga is just a big insect, but it's easily one of the best realized monsters in the series. Every part it plays in SoG is legitimately terrifying, and the puppet is so damn great. The way it stalks the characters, and waits for them, also gives it tons of character. The way it also tries to trick Godzilla into making him think it's dead is also great. And really Scylla isn't that original either, it's just another giant spider-crab monster that has been in many hollywood films.

Orichalcum wrote:Dude, Scylla couldn’t compare to kumonga even if she rode a Harley and smoked camal crushes
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Fish Cakes
G-Force Personnel

Post by Fish Cakes »

Scyllame vs Koolmonga, there really is no competition.
Drink 32oz of water a day, exercise daily for at least 30 minutes, take your meds as prescribed, eat healthy (count calories), reach out to your support network when you need them, practice basic hygiene, learn from your mistakes, forgive yourself for your failures, admit when you're wrong, be humble when you're right, be nice to animals, and try again.
"You were born perfect, keep improving."

SoggyNoodles2016

Orichalcum wrote:
tyrantgoji wrote:
Orichalcum wrote:You’ll never be half the critic Doug Walker is so ha.
Doug sucks now anyway so that's a good thing in my book. :lol:

Doug don’t suck, Doug scrape and lick :roll:

Thanks for the nostalgia trip, Stump lol

RIP Evan.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:
Orichalcum wrote:
tyrantgoji wrote:
Doug sucks now anyway so that's a good thing in my book. :lol:

Doug don’t suck, Doug scrape and lick :roll:

Thanks for the nostalgia trip, Stump lol
"I form my own opinions, so you don't have to!"
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Orichalcum
Interpol Agent

Post by Orichalcum »

No problemo, it's what I'm here for
*Formerly known as Stump Feet*

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Orichalcum wrote:No problemo, it's what I'm here for
Just to be clear, I meant the trend of people making fun of movies in the laziest way possible, has severely impacted the Godzilla franchise negatively.

Added in 2 hours 42 minutes 49 seconds:
Continuing after the end of the events of Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla, Interpol agents, led by Inspector Kusaka, search for the pieces of Mechagodzilla at the bottom of the Okinawan Sea. Using the submarine, Akatsuki, they hope to gather information on the robot's builders, the alien Simeons. The Akatsuki is suddenly attacked by a giant aquatic spinosaur called Titanosaurus and the crew vanishes.
-Wikipedia.

I hate this shit. I get it dinofreaks, you want to insert and label everything to show smart you are and how much you know your dinosaurs. But stop automatically labeling things so or giving labels to fictional creatures.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
Continuing after the end of the events of Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla, Interpol agents, led by Inspector Kusaka, search for the pieces of Mechagodzilla at the bottom of the Okinawan Sea. Using the submarine, Akatsuki, they hope to gather information on the robot's builders, the alien Simeons. The Akatsuki is suddenly attacked by a giant aquatic spinosaur called Titanosaurus and the crew vanishes.
-Wikipedia.

I hate this shit. I get it dinofreaks, you want to insert and label everything to show smart you are and how much you know your dinosaurs. But stop automatically labeling things so or giving labels to fictional creatures.
Yeah, I hate this too. Time to change it.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

Oh yeah, I talked about that before. It's so brutal and out of place. It's one of those moments in the series where something is cringeworthy not because of a bad effect, writing, direction, etc. but it just assaults your empathy with the way someone is being hurt.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
The Akatsuki is suddenly attacked by a giant aquatic spinosaur called Titanosaurus and the crew vanishes.
-Wikipedia.

If I made a Godzilla Fan Bingo Sheet, "I'm going to be a paleontologist when I grow up" would definitely be on there.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Smuggers wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:
The Akatsuki is suddenly attacked by a giant aquatic spinosaur called Titanosaurus and the crew vanishes.
-Wikipedia.

I hate this poop. I get it dinofreaks, you want to insert and label everything to show smart you are and how much you know your dinosaurs. But stop automatically labeling things so or giving labels to fictional creatures.
If I made a Godzilla Fan Bingo Sheet, "I'm going to be a paleontologist when I grow up" would definitely be on there.
You should put it next to,"I'm going to move to Japan and become an English teacher" right next to that space. :lol:

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I'm sure if Scylla had more that cameos in the film, it would get more respect. Kumonga is a great monster, but nostalgia aside, it's nice to get new kaiju now and then.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
Smuggers wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote: -Wikipedia.

I hate this poop. I get it dinofreaks, you want to insert and label everything to show smart you are and how much you know your dinosaurs. But stop automatically labeling things so or giving labels to fictional creatures.
You should put it next to,"I'm going to move to Japan and become an English teacher" right next to that space. :lol:
Hold up, is that what you do there? That's kinda cool.

Fish Cakes
G-Force Personnel

Post by Fish Cakes »

edgaguirus wrote:I'm sure if Scylla had more that cameos in the film, it would get more respect. Kumonga is a great monster, but nostalgia aside, it's nice to get new kaiju now and then.
Wow. Calling Legendary's Scylla a "kaiju" and Toho's Kumonga a "monster"... Is this how far the western fanbase has fallen? For shame. Hope your gods are more merciful than mine.
Drink 32oz of water a day, exercise daily for at least 30 minutes, take your meds as prescribed, eat healthy (count calories), reach out to your support network when you need them, practice basic hygiene, learn from your mistakes, forgive yourself for your failures, admit when you're wrong, be humble when you're right, be nice to animals, and try again.
"You were born perfect, keep improving."

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

edgaguirus wrote:
I'm sure if Scylla had more that cameos in the film, it would get more respect. Kumonga is a great monster, but nostalgia aside, it's nice to get new kaiju now and then.
...it’s a big CGI monster that has less then a minute of screen time, that came out in the latest film, versus a monster that has been around for 50 years, been in multiple movies and things like the comics.