The Godzilla Cringe Thread

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
THECRAZEBLING
G-Force Personnel

Re: The Godzilla Cringe Thread

Post by THECRAZEBLING »

AsylusGoji91 has got to be one of the cringiest kaiju "fans" I ever met. Whenever he's not stealing designs from other fanmade kaiju stuff for his own garbage, he tends to suck up to people more talented than him and yet has also no qualms demanding stuff from other people. Among other weird shit he shamelessly puts on his gallery. How has he not been mass blocked at this point?
My YouTube
Jiragozira14 wrote:Bagan is never. getting. a. toy.
"...that one didn't age quite so well."

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Post by Executive Hamster »

Oh yeah. AsylusGoji91 and Daizua 123, for me at least.

Added in 9 minutes 39 seconds:
Oh, and speaking of cringe, this comment I got on reddit:
He is referring to the Trendmasters Ultimate Godzilla 1998, which ironically is probably the figure I get comments about the most, and deservingly so, cause its awesome. How elitist do you have to be to think that simply the presence of a Godzilla 1998 figure ruins my collection?
Last edited by Executive Hamster on Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kiryu2012
Keizer

Post by Kiryu2012 »

THECRAZEBLING wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:56 pm AsylusGoji91 has got to be one of the cringiest kaiju "fans" I ever met. Whenever he's not stealing designs from other fanmade kaiju stuff for his own garbage, he tends to suck up to people more talented than him and yet has also no qualms demanding stuff from other people. Among other weird shit he shamelessly puts on his gallery. How has he not been mass blocked at this point?
He'd gotten into some brief controversy a while back over tracing one of 2009MECHAGODZILLA's designs and being called out for it, iirc. I do enjoy some of the videos he's made, but yeah, he really needs to stop stealing/copying from others.
My most wanted fight ever is Discord vs Bobobo-bo bo-bobo.
Godzilla has a regen like Wolverine, a skin like Luke Cage, a hero aura like Captain America, a strength like Hulk, an unstoppability like Juggernaut, an immortality like Deadpool.

There's a 'God' in Godzilla for a reason...
gigan72 wrote:
Kiryu2012 wrote:Stopped someone from committing suicide
Holy shit man.
My DA

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

AsylusGoji is so cringe bruh.
For Emperor and Empire!

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

So this might not be all that topical, but I have witnessed it, and I figured I'd bring it up because my own Godzilla experience might be able to add something to my point.
I find fandom gatekeepers to be peak cringe. This can be as big as those who require one to watch the entire Showa series to be considered a "true fan" to as small as those who require you to watch Gojira. Truthfully, I don't see any reason to gatekeep who is a fan that way. They could have only watched the Monsterverse. Heck, they might not even have seen any of the movies. If they like Godzilla, I welcome them. I see no reason to shun people especially when, most of the time, they will grow out of it.

Im 19, a "Gen Z-er". I grew up mostly on the millennium films. I had a bias against the Heisei films in my youth cause, at the time, everyone praised them non stop. And I thought the Showa films looked lame and corny. To me, Godzilla was Final Wars and 1998. But I grew out of it. When I rewatched every movie once I got them on Blu Ray, I noticed that I ended up enjoying every film. To this day, outside of the Anime Trilogy, there is not a single Godzilla movie that I dislike. Some of the "worst" Godzilla movies, according to the fandom, are among my favorites: I genuinely love Ebirah, Horror of the Deep, Son of Godzilla, Godzilla vs Hedorah, Godzilla vs Gigan, and Godzilla vs Megalon. G98 is enjoyable, Final Wars is awesome, and G2014 and 2019 are both awesome and totally underrated.

My point? I began my Godzilla journey from the perspective of the Millennium films, much like many new fans are on the MV. Many of these fans WILL grow into the older movies. And it bothers me how often I see people ridiculed for not seeing an arbitrary number of films before being considered a fan. That's not how fandoms grow.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Executive Hamster wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:11 pm So this might not be all that topical, but I have witnessed it, and I figured I'd bring it up because my own Godzilla experience might be able to add something to my point.
I find fandom gatekeepers to be peak cringe. This can be as big as those who require one to watch the entire Showa series to be considered a "true fan" to as small as those who require you to watch Gojira. Truthfully, I don't see any reason to gatekeep who is a fan that way. They could have only watched the Monsterverse. Heck, they might not even have seen any of the movies. If they like Godzilla, I welcome them. I see no reason to shun people especially when, most of the time, they will grow out of it.

Im 19, a "Gen Z-er". I grew up mostly on the millennium films. I had a bias against the Heisei films in my youth cause, at the time, everyone praised them non stop. And I thought the Showa films looked lame and corny. To me, Godzilla was Final Wars and 1998. But I grew out of it. When I rewatched every movie once I got them on Blu Ray, I noticed that I ended up enjoying every film. To this day, outside of the Anime Trilogy, there is not a single Godzilla movie that I dislike. Some of the "worst" Godzilla movies, according to the fandom, are among my favorites: I genuinely love Ebirah, Horror of the Deep, Son of Godzilla, Godzilla vs Hedorah, Godzilla vs Gigan, and Godzilla vs Megalon. G98 is enjoyable, Final Wars is awesome, and G2014 and 2019 are both awesome and totally underrated.

My point? I began my Godzilla journey from the perspective of the Millennium films, much like many new fans are on the MV. Many of these fans WILL grow into the older movies. And it bothers me how often I see people ridiculed for not seeing an arbitrary number of films before being considered a fan. That's not how fandoms grow.
I relate to this, since I’m in the same age group and I grew up on practically the same films as you.
For Emperor and Empire!

KingKong2005
EDF Instructor

Post by KingKong2005 »

VoyagerGoji wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:01 am
Executive Hamster wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:11 pm So this might not be all that topical, but I have witnessed it, and I figured I'd bring it up because my own Godzilla experience might be able to add something to my point.

I relate to this, since I’m in the same age group and I grew up on practically the same films as you.
Same here as well!!!
Image Image

Kaltes-Herzeleid
JXSDF Technician

Post by Kaltes-Herzeleid »

Perhaps the gatekeepers vs. newbies clash is partially born of "familiarity breeds contempt." There's a saying I'm sure we've all heard at one point or another: "Nobody hates Star Wars like a Star Wars fan." I find that sentiment applicable here.

The older one gets and (usually, but not always) their tastes change, grow and mature, the more they look back on the thing they love and by that extension a fandom that has been a huge part of their life for years by that point they get frustrated by...a lack of a development. Essentially; they grew up, the fandom as a collective didn't. I'm not saying the fandom is terrible or anything but it can get tiresome seeing the same bandwagon opinions, people more concerned with power levels and designs and getting into slapfights with other fans over overpriced action figures. It's kind of draining really. If anything it's actually a reason I circled back around to become active on this forum again because I got tired of the same old same old that saturates other groups I've been apart of. At least there is some actual discussion and the occasional gleaning of some new knowledge and history of a series and genre I love and wish more people had a deeper appreciation of instead of, well, you know.
Resized Image

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

That's one reason I come here as well. I like a diverse take on the whole series, which means unexpected and surprising opinions and facts at times. I am glad to see that. It prevents stagnation in the fandom, and keeps the series alive.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Might be unrelated, but I figured I'd bring it up because it can be seen regularly in the Godzilla # on Instagram: Millie Bobby Brown "stan accounts" are cringe. Oh, and also REALLY creepy.

Thegarbagemonster
EDF Instructor

Post by Thegarbagemonster »

Executive Hamster wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:47 am Might be unrelated, but I figured I'd bring it up because it can be seen regularly in the Godzilla # on Instagram: Millie Bobby Brown "stan accounts" are cringe. Oh, and also REALLY creepy.
Oh god yeah, It's disturbing when people get obsessed over minor celebrities. I've seen so many people proudly announce that the only reason they're gonna watch KOTM/GVK is because MBB is in them. It reminds me of this woman I keep seeing around the web who is totally obsessed with Jojo Siwa. Her room is entirely plastered with pics of her, even the ceiling, and she dresses like her and wears masks of her... really uncomfortable stuff.

I can't make fun of people for liking something. I'm a collector of Godzilla and dinosaurs, after all, and my own room is plastered with Super Mario posters and photographs of fossils. But when we're talking about real life people, and minors at it too.... it can seem like kind of a grievous situation, if you catch my drift.

Anyway,
Spoiler:
Last edited by Thegarbagemonster on Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Thegarbagemonster wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:09 pm
Executive Hamster wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:47 am Might be unrelated, but I figured I'd bring it up because it can be seen regularly in the Godzilla # on Instagram: Millie Bobby Brown "stan accounts" are cringe. Oh, and also REALLY creepy.
Oh god yeah, It's disturbing when people get obsessed over minor celebrities. I've seen so many people proudly announce that the only reason they're gonna watch KOTM/GVK is because MBB is in them. It reminds me of this woman I keep seeing around the web who is totally obsessed with Jojo Siwa. Her room is entirely plastered with pics of her, even the ceiling, and she dresses like her and wears masks of her... really uncomfortable stuff.

I can't make fun of people for liking something. I'm a collector of Godzilla and dinosaurs, after all, and my own room is plastered with Super Mario posters and photographs of fossils. But when we're talking about real life people, and minors at it too.... it can seem like kind of a grievous situation, if you catch my drift.

Anyway,
Spoiler:
I hate you.

My damn curiosity betrays me every single fucking time.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Thegarbagemonster wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:09 pm It's disturbing when people get obsessed over minor celebrities.
I'd say it's equally disturbing whether the celebrities are major or minor. :)
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

GodzillaRangerPrime
JXSDF Technician

Post by GodzillaRangerPrime »

Probably mentioned before,
but the way a lot of fanboys get bent out of shape over the possibility of Godzilla losing to Kong in Godzilla vs Kong is cringe, particularly after that first trailer.

It probably won’t happen, but I hope Godzilla loses just to see the mental breakdown lol.
Last edited by GodzillaRangerPrime on Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris55 wrote:
Underworld54 wrote:
GalacticPetey wrote:They're not half-assing the Star Wars movies.
I very much consider TFA to be half-assed. What a generic film which only fed on nostalgia, it brought nothing new to the table.
That's not true. C3PO had a red arm.

Kiryu2012
Keizer

Post by Kiryu2012 »

GodzillaRangerPrime wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:16 pm Probably mentioned before,
but the way a lot of fanboys get bent out of shape over the possibility of Godzilla losing to Kong in Godzilla vs Kong is cringe, particularly after that first trailer.

It probably won’t happen, but I hope Godzilla loses just to see the mental breakdown lol.
After seeing some people on the Internet really be keen on wanting Godzilla to win and considering the concept of Kong winning a case of Godzilla being forced to throw the fight again, a part of me is genuinely curious to see Kong winning just for the fandom's reaction.
My most wanted fight ever is Discord vs Bobobo-bo bo-bobo.
Godzilla has a regen like Wolverine, a skin like Luke Cage, a hero aura like Captain America, a strength like Hulk, an unstoppability like Juggernaut, an immortality like Deadpool.

There's a 'God' in Godzilla for a reason...
gigan72 wrote:
Kiryu2012 wrote:Stopped someone from committing suicide
Holy shit man.
My DA

KingKong2005
EDF Instructor

Post by KingKong2005 »

GodzillaRangerPrime wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:16 pm Probably mentioned before,

If anything I think what's cringe are Godzilla-stans who revile in their seats and cry the second they see Godzilla losing or getting beaten by another monster. I'm not saying Kong has to win in GvK (in fact I want the opposite), but I do wanna see Kong take Godzilla the distance like we have never seen before. That sentiment alone will get you jumped by hardcore stans. This is why I honestly hate stan-culture and kids who join the fandom in general. It's all just a bunch of disrespect. Especially when people aren't even aware of King Kong's legacy and how he's the sole reason for Godzilla's existence.
Image Image

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

KingKong2005 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:36 pm Especially when people aren't even aware of King Kong's legacy and how he's the sole reason for Godzilla's existence.
The sole reason?

So, the Lucky Dragon #5 incident didn't factor into Godzilla's genesis at all? Neither did the events of World War 2? Or Japan's long history of natural disasters which had lead to a creative fascination with depicting their own destruction? Godzilla exists solely as a derivation of King Kong?
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

A big reason for sure (especially with the success of the King Kong re-release in 52), but yeah, definitely not the *sole* reason.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato stans just built different.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

I am disturbed by the lack of The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms being mentioned as far as Godzilla influencers.
Last edited by godjacob on Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

^That too, of course! Tanaka's working title for Godzilla was "Big Monster from 20,000 Miles Beneath the Sea".
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato stans just built different.