The Godzilla Cringe Thread

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Re: The Godzilla Cringe Thread

Post by Smuggers »

KingKong2005 wrote:There's a serious flaw in the logic tho but ay what're you gonna do
Welcome to kaiju movies.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

Manuelito Canelito
G-Grasper

Post by Manuelito Canelito »

KingKong2005 wrote:
gottatalktothefake wrote:
TheDolphinKaijuGod wrote:18:10...
https://youtu.be/xhSnKNwR6zg
I dunno why people think the MUTOs are weak.
It's not that, but they don't hit as hard as nukes (nor should any kaiju). He holds very solid points there. Godzilla shouldn't be surviving a fall like that if he's getting weakened and bleeds to kaiju. If he lands on the ground it'd be total bull, but him landing in the water I can barely buy. He's right, Godzilla is becoming way too overpowered.
Godzilla has been destroying planets and shit for some quite time in other media, and the anime novels had entire continental plates falling over him.
Godzilla's always been overpowered
Last edited by Manuelito Canelito on Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
All houses have the same. Roof. Floor. Walls. People yelling at you that they're calling the police because you broke into their house. It's only when you give them love that they truly become Home

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Smuggers wrote:
KingKong2005 wrote:There's a serious flaw in the logic tho but ay what're you gonna do
Welcome to kaiju movies.
And superhero movies for that matter.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:
Smuggers wrote:
Welcome to kaiju movies.
Welcome to fiction!
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

KingKong2005
EDF Instructor

Post by KingKong2005 »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:
Kaiju-King42 wrote:
Smuggers wrote: Welcome to kaiju movies.
Welcome to fiction!
Population: My girlfriend
Image Image

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

KingKong2005 wrote:
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:
Kaiju-King42 wrote:
Welcome to fiction!
Population: My girlfriend
This should be a shirt. :lol:

Not that I'd have any reason to wear it, of course...

:(
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Ben Shapiro
Interpol Agent

Post by Ben Shapiro »

KingKong2005 wrote:Godzilla is becoming way too overpowered.
Have you ever seen a Godzilla movie before?
Facts don't care about your feelings

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Godzilla is Overpowered Incarnate lmao.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

KingKong2005
EDF Instructor

Post by KingKong2005 »

Ben Shapiro wrote:
KingKong2005 wrote:Godzilla is becoming way too overpowered.
Have you ever seen a Godzilla movie before?
Obviously I have, haha :lol:

The Legendary take on him was more animalistic and showed he had weaknesses. I always liked that narrative better than the overpowered Godzilla. Audiences can't pinpoint what his weaknesses are and aren't anymore if he's surviving falls from near space. Hell, not even 20 Ghidorah's would remotely bother him. In 2014, Godzilla was just more like an animal and wasn't this OP thing he's turning into in 2019. I liked it before, personally.
Image Image

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

The general audience doesn't care about power levels.

Manuelito Canelito
G-Grasper

Post by Manuelito Canelito »

UltramanGoji wrote:The general audience doesn't care about power levels.
^This

The only people who really care about power levels are the Internet nerds that make power output calculations of unrealistic as hell things...of which I'm part of.
All houses have the same. Roof. Floor. Walls. People yelling at you that they're calling the police because you broke into their house. It's only when you give them love that they truly become Home

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

As long as the movie's bangin, I don't really care who's OP and who isn't.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

Ichiro's daisy dukes. That alone is the most cringe worthy thing in a Godzilla movie.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Having seen KKvG last night... that smoking scene is really uncomfortable to sit through for several reasons. That might be one of the most grossly dated scenes in the entire series.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

I’m pretty sure that scene was removed when it was broadcast on the Disney Channel in the ‘90s, for obvious reasons.

I think the more dated aspect of that scene today is the use of “black face” to help portray Japanese as Pacific Islanders. I can usually overlook embarrassing things like that, but it’s hard to in that case.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Terasawa wrote:I’m pretty sure that scene was removed when it was broadcast on the Disney Channel in the ‘90s, for obvious reasons.

I think the more dated aspect of that scene today is the use of “black face” to help portray Japanese as Pacific Islanders. I can usually overlook embarrassing things like that, but it’s hard to in that case.
Yeah, the black face is definitely one of the several reasons that scene made me uncomfortable. Sadly, Mothra did black face too.

I don't remember if the later 60s films did that, but I have Mothra vs Godzilla next on my marathon today, so I guess I'll find out soon enough.

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:
Terasawa wrote:I’m pretty sure that scene was removed when it was broadcast on the Disney Channel in the ‘90s, for obvious reasons.

Yeah, the black face is definitely one of the several reasons that scene made me uncomfortable. Sadly, Mothra did black face too.

I don't remember if the later 60s films did that, but I have Mothra vs Godzilla next on my marathon today, so I guess I'll find out soon enough.
Mothra vs. Godzilla has it as well. It's much less noticable (though that might have more to do with how well done the scene is in other aspects), but it's still there. Ebirah, Horror of the Deep has it too, iirc.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

KingKong2005 wrote: The Legendary take on him was more animalistic and showed he had weaknesses. I always liked that narrative better than the overpowered Godzilla. Audiences can't pinpoint what his weaknesses are and aren't anymore if he's surviving falls from near space. Hell, not even 20 Ghidorah's would remotely bother him. In 2014, Godzilla was just more like an animal and wasn't this OP thing he's turning into in 2019. I liked it before, personally.
Eh, I mean to a monster like Godzilla an atomic bomb would be more like a grenade to him, maybe think about it that way. So when battling monsters there's more a of chance to repeatedly get beaten and receive fatal blows.

Ultimately though, like others have said it doesn't really matter. I barely think twice about it, especially if the narrative is engaging.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

LockBite
JXSDF Technician

Post by LockBite »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:

The blackface never made me uncomfortable, because I’ve always figured the filmmakers (Japanese people in the 1960s) had a pretty innocent view on it; if it weren’t for minstrelsy in the past, maybe blackface wouldn’t be offensive today.

EternalMothra
Samurai

Post by EternalMothra »

One of the cringiest moments for me is in Godzilla 2000 when Katagiri hollers "GODZILLAAAAAA!!" dramatically before dying. It is so unbelievably campy. I just felt like that movie was trying so hard to be serious... but setting itself back with moments like that.