The Godzilla Cringe Thread

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Dr. Professor
Futurian

Re: The Godzilla Cringe Thread

Post by Dr. Professor »

Dv-218 wrote:Well, it's gonna be the 1st time in history we'll see a battle between an intergalactic planet-destroying pasta and a 400ft tall weed bush. That's certinialy impressive by it's own right lol.
This film's just trying to pander to Pastafarians. :roll:
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Dr. Professor wrote:
Dv-218 wrote:Well, it's gonna be the 1st time in history we'll see a battle between an intergalactic planet-destroying pasta and a 400ft tall weed bush. That's certinialy impressive by it's own right lol.
This film's just trying to pander to Pastafarians. :roll:
I knew there was a reason why they gave Godzilla that face :lol:

"Yo Haruo, sarreh 'bout em parents mon"
Last edited by Dv-218 on Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

The cringiest Godzilla-related thing I've seen recently was seeing fans harrassing Fil Barlow (who worked on, among other things, Extreme Ghostbusters and Godzilla: The Series) for refusing to refer to his Godzilla drawings as "Zilla", for working on a project connected to the 1998 film, and things of a similar nature.
Last edited by G2000 on Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

G2000 wrote:The cringiest Godzilla-related thing I've seen recently was seeing fans harrassing Fil Barlow (who worked on, among other things, Extreme Ghostbusters and Godzilla: The Series) for refusing to refer to his Godzilla drawings as "Zilla", for working on a project connected to the 1998 film, and things of a similar nature.
Lmao I saw that too. The fact that some of them actually demanded a professional concept artist to change it by threatening him was simulteniously the most embarassing and most messed up sh*t I ever saw from this fanbase :lol:
Last edited by Dv-218 on Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Zilla fanboys are unbearable. At their best they’re just kids but at their worst they’re contrarians of the highest degree with a even nastier prejudice towards the Japanese Godzilla than regular Godzilla fans have towards G98.

On a more positive note, I had no idea Fil Barlow did the character design for Tutenstein. That’s one of my favorite 2000’s cartoons.
Last edited by UltramanGoji on Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KingKong2005
EDF Instructor

Post by KingKong2005 »

Time to open up a "Say Something Nice About The Godzilla Fandom" thread!
Image Image

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

UltramanGoji wrote:Zilla fanboys are unbearable. At their best they’re just kids but at their worst they’re contrarians of the highest degree with a even nastier prejudice towards the Japanese Godzilla than regular Godzilla fans have towards G98.

On a more positive note, I had no idea Fil Barlow did the character design for Tutenstein. That’s one of my favorite 2000’s cartoons.
This is another one. Everyone likes giving Godzilla fans crap, but some rather disgusting crap comes from people who basically WORSHIP G98. You have no idea how many of those hypocritical "why does everyone hate godzilla 98?" followed immediatly by "Japzilla is a fat rubber suit and you are stupid for liking it" arguments I have seen :lol:

One especially weird case was a dude on Youtube who said the "American Godzilla" is better than "fatzilla" because it's design is more reptilian and.....sexy..... :|

I mean, I could care less about his "preferences" , but what the fuck man....
Last edited by Dv-218 on Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:20 am, edited 4 times in total.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

KingKong2005 wrote:Time to open up a "Say Something Nice About The Godzilla Fandom" thread!
When we find something nice to say you'll be the first to know.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

KingKong2005 wrote:Time to open up a "Say Something Nice About The Godzilla Fandom" thread!
Snowflakes, snowflakes everywhere
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

Cringey aspects of Godzilla...

Hmmm...

Well, in most cases, Toho's international dubs are just the worst. My first exposure to these were the 90s Heisei films and I was amazed at how horrible they were. It sounded like they hired one guy to do all the male characters and one lady to do all the female characters. And then when I got around to seeing the international dubs for films like Sea Monster and Son of, I gained a whole new appreciation for the dubs I grew up with. Yikes!

As for the fans, yeah, there are some embarrassing fans out there, but I feel that is true of any fandom. Let me count the ways with my other hobbies and interest:

Star Wars: SW fans can be horrible, especially the new age ones. They are always either complaining to the nth degree or defending it with religious zeal. There is no in between. I have been called both a Nazi and a cuck by two sides of the Star Wars fandom because I didn't completely love nor completely hate The Last Jedi. Turns out the middle ground gets everyone to hate you.

Star Trek: Actually not as bad as others, despite the reputation, but if you've seen the really really REALLY geeky Star Trek fans, you know how awkward they can get. I've met some really awkward nerds in the Star Trek fanbase, but I've honestly never had a bad experience with any of them. I think the worst I've ever had was one calmly and awkwardly trying to explain to me why Insurrection wasn't that bad.

Pro Wrestling: I don't have enough time in the day to explain to you how bad wrestling fans can be. If I hear the words "work rate" and "star ratings" ever again, my head might explode. God forbid I enjoy a Hulk Hogan or a Hacksaw Jim Duggan match. No no, by all means, tell me how every Japanese match ever held is the greatest match of all time (BTW, I do enjoy Japanese wrestling...I just hate the way fans talk about it).

Sherlock Holmes: Okay, well read Sherlockians who love the original stories by Arthur Conan Doyle? From my experience, mostly great, smart, and charming people. Younger fans that have only seen the Cumberbatch version and want Sherlock and Watson to have sex with each other because apparently, that is more important than solving mysteries and just go on and on and on about how hot everyone is/supposed to be....excuse me while I bang my head into the nearest brick wall.

Comics: The comics fandom has gotten so terrible, I find myself avoiding discussions about the medium altogether. Just super toxic. And I guess it has always been that way, but back in the day, I could deal with the ubernerds and nowadays I can't stand being around them for more than 5 minutes. Maybe I'm just becoming a curmudgeon in my old age. Damn kids! Get off muh lawn!

Animation: This covers a lot of ground, but the adult fans of animated cartoons today scare the hell out of me. I mean I've never seen Steven Universe, but I've seen how its fans act like rabid animals. Now they can act terrible with their own thing but please don't infect the things that I like...oh wait, we're getting remakes of the shows I grew up with Thundercats, Ninja Turtles, and She-Ra and all those weirdos are jumping on those bandwagons...well...shit. I am also freaked out by how they weirdly sexualize children's cartoons. When I see the weird fan art, cosplaying, and just general behavior of fans of shows like Steven Universe, My Little Pony, and all of those other kind of shows, it raises an eyebrow from me. And these are adult fans, so them sexualizing children's shows is just doubly unsettling to me. I mean I remember their being some weird sexualization in the Thundercats fandom back in the day, and it bothered me, but it is nothing compared to what I see nowadays. Its at a point where if I had a young daughter and she wanted to go to a My Little Pony convention, I'd say hell no because she'd be surrounded by 40 year old men with dolls that they, uh, do stuff with.

and more specific to animation -
Rick and Morty: I watched a bunch of people that like the same TV show as me hold protests in McDonalds restaurants across the country because they didn't get their McNugget sauce. I have never been more embarrassed to be part of a fanbase in my life.

Compared to all of that, my experiences in the Godzilla fandom have been relatively mild. There are embarrassing moments and fans here and there, but not to the degree of everything else I've dipped my toe into.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

Dawsbfiremind
EDF Instructor

Post by Dawsbfiremind »

GojiDog wrote: Animation: This covers a lot of ground, but the adult fans of animated cartoons today scare the hell out of me.
Ain't this the truth. I hate hearing about the shows you mentioned when I say "I love animation". Heck, everything I've seen from those shows makes me cringe.

But here's the fun part: whenever I mention some of the animation I love (whether that be Gwen or the Book of Sand, the House of Small Cubes, Castle in the Sky, etc.) I usually get a confused look that makes me laugh.
goji89 wrote:
Dawsbfiremind wrote:People have asked me how I can want to be a writer
With skills like this......I wonder too.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Holy mother of Bagan we actually are stuck in limbo.
TK drinking game official rules.
https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... 0#p1564587

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Dawsbfiremind wrote:
GojiDog wrote: Animation: This covers a lot of ground, but the adult fans of animated cartoons today scare the hell out of me.
Ain't this the truth. I hate hearing about the shows you mentioned when I say "I love animation". Heck, everything I've seen from those shows makes me cringe.

But here's the fun part: whenever I mention some of the animation I love (whether that be Gwen or the Book of Sand, the House of Small Cubes, Castle in the Sky, etc.) I usually get a confused look that makes me laugh.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Re: wrestling fans, since I’m a part of that fanbase.

I’ve noticed that the more hyper-focused parts of the community are usually the ones that are more vocal and vicious. For example, people who exclusively watch New Japan are usually very enthused with the star ratings from Meltzer (who I enjoy reading, but don’t take his ratings as anything other than one mans opinion) and often chastise people who watch other promotions, usually WWE.

Speaking of, never and I mean never read the Twitter comments on WWE wrestler’s tweets. It’s like a community of boy band fans, so many people (adults most shockingly) who are confused by the concept of kayfabe, obsess over certain wrestlers, and are just generally insane people.

It’s kind of like the food pyramid. A healthy balanced diet of different promotions and general common sense and you’ll enjoy yourself a lot more. Most of the wrestling fans I know in real life are great people who enjoy a wide variety of matches from a technical masterpiece like Omega/Okada at WK11 to a fun comedy gimmick like WeeLC. They know wrestling’s scripted but still partake in the fun aspects of kayfabe. It’s fun to be worked by a dastardly heel and even better to see that hard-working babyface win his long-awaited title.
Dawsbfiremind wrote:

Heaven forbid people like more accessible and common media, I guess. :?
Last edited by UltramanGoji on Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dawsbfiremind
EDF Instructor

Post by Dawsbfiremind »

UltramanGoji wrote:
Dawsbfiremind wrote:

Heaven forbid people like more accessible and common media, I guess. :?
I don't mind them liking it, it's just when their love of it gets...weird. I just like animation as a variation of the storytelling art form.

Also you can find Castle in the Sky at Walmart and the other two on youtube, so I'd call them accessible. The trick is just to find where these films are. Like Amazon.
goji89 wrote:
Dawsbfiremind wrote:People have asked me how I can want to be a writer
With skills like this......I wonder too.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Holy mother of Bagan we actually are stuck in limbo.
TK drinking game official rules.
https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... 0#p1564587

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

GojiDog wrote: and more specific to animation -
Rick and Morty: I watched a bunch of people that like the same TV show as me hold protests in McDonalds restaurants across the country because they didn't get their McNugget sauce. I have never been more embarrassed to be part of a fanbase in my life.
Huh?

What does being a fan of a TV show have to do with holding protests over sweet-and-sour sauce?
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:
Huh?

What does being a fan of a TV show have to do with holding protests over sweet-and-sour sauce?
The show referenced the then-defunct Szechuan sauce, and then McDonald's did a special one-day event bringing it back; fans lined up, but the stores were not stocked to meet the demand.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

eabaker wrote:
Kaiju-King42 wrote:
Huh?

The show referenced the then-defunct Szechuan sauce, and then McDonald's did a special one-day event bringing it back; fans lined up, but the stores were not stocked to meet the demand.
Im still bitter over that.

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

There's also those dudes who basically believe that they're this universe's Rick or something.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

Manuelito Canelito
G-Grasper

Post by Manuelito Canelito »

Dr. Professor wrote:There's also those dudes who basically believe that they're this universe's Rick or something.
Being like Rick wouldn't be a happy existance. The show itself tells us.
Don't know why people still want to compare themselves to a character like that.
All houses have the same. Roof. Floor. Walls. People yelling at you that they're calling the police because you broke into their house. It's only when you give them love that they truly become Home

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Dv-218 wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:Zilla fanboys are unbearable. At their best they’re just kids but at their worst they’re contrarians of the highest degree with a even nastier prejudice towards the Japanese Godzilla than regular Godzilla fans have towards G98.

This is another one. Everyone likes giving Godzilla fans crap, but some rather disgusting crap comes from people who basically WORSHIP G98. You have no idea how many of those hypocritical "why does everyone hate godzilla 98?" followed immediatly by "Japzilla is a fat rubber suit and you are stupid for liking it" arguments I have seen :lol:

One especially weird case was a dude on Youtube who said the "American Godzilla" is better than "fatzilla" because it's design is more more reptilian and.....sexy..... :|

I mean, I could care less about his "preferences" , but what the fuck man....
"Godzilla 98 was 20 years ago, let it go"

Said on videos that were years ago and I haven't made any new ones talking about G'98 in years.