The Godzilla Cringe Thread

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Loganrules115
Interpol Agent

Re: The Godzilla Cringe Thread

Post by Loganrules115 »

Coobzilla03 wrote:Jet Jaguar needs to be in the Monsterverse, we all know it.
I can't argue with that.
Planet X did nothing wrong. :xilien:

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

"Gappa Angry" kid in blackface.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

GojiDude95
Interpol Agent

Post by GojiDude95 »

MLP needs to stay the fuck away from pretty much EVERYTHING!!

Added in 2 minutes 51 seconds:
That signature though. I must ask if Alex Jones really said something like that! :shock:

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

Major sssspielberg! wrote:"Gappa Angry" kid in blackface.
And all the blackface in King Kong vs. Godzilla.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Dr. Professor wrote:
Not to mention Mothra. It's really noticeable there.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:
Dr. Professor wrote:
Basically any appearance of natives in the Showa era.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

KingKong2005
EDF Instructor

Post by KingKong2005 »

Dr. Professor wrote:
Kaiju-King42 wrote:
Dr. Professor wrote: And all the blackface in King Kong vs. Godzilla.
lol well it was the Showa era
Image Image

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

KingKong2005 wrote:
Dr. Professor wrote:
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Not to mention Mothra. It's really noticeable there.
Doesn't make it alright. Also I'm pretty sure it happened in King Kong '05 too if I'm remembering right. Not trying to shit on you with that response btw, that's just the only modern example of this I can think of. I think it's a great film, like the others I mentioned. I just think it's important to acknowledge things like this.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

KingKong2005
EDF Instructor

Post by KingKong2005 »

Dr. Professor wrote:
KingKong2005 wrote:
Dr. Professor wrote: Basically any appearance of natives in the Showa era.
Doesn't make it alright. Also I'm pretty sure it happened in King Kong '05 too if I'm remembering right. Not trying to poop on you with that response btw, that's just the only modern example of this I can think of. I think it's a great film, like the others I mentioned. I just think it's important to acknowledge things like this.
It makes it right since it was that era. There weren't a lot of black people in Japan in 1962, you know. And 2005 they casted a lot of people of that color, but just painted them slightly to match the same color.
Image Image

Mechagigan
Futurian

Post by Mechagigan »

At worst, it just didn't age well. A lot of old "evil islander" movies used the same tropes seen as offensive now - doesn't make their use any better or worse, but it's not a Toho exclusive thing by any means.

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

KingKong2005 wrote: It makes it right since it was that era. There weren't a lot of black people in Japan in 1962, you know.
I should've said brownface. I don't believe the natives in the Showa films were meant to be black. But regardless, it still doesn't mean it's right. If they couldn't have gotten dark skinned people to play these roles, then the natives just shouldn't have had dark skin. I don't care what their intentions were, it's still wrong.
And 2005 they casted a lot of people of that color, but just painted them slightly to match the same color.
Do you have a source for this? I don't see why they would've done that considering it's very common and completely normal for people of the same race to not have the same exact skin tone.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

It was a different time back then, not excusing it, it was racist but racism was common back then, it's only in recent history we, the human race, have started to realize that common does not mean normal.

KingKong2005
EDF Instructor

Post by KingKong2005 »

Living Corpse wrote:It was a different time back then, not excusing it, it was racist but racism was common back then, it's only in recent history we, the human race, have started to realize that common does not mean normal.
I'm no racist, just putting that out there. But the fact that it was a different time and that no black people were in Japan should excuse it. Especially since there wasn't any ill-intent. It was 1962.
Dr. Professor wrote:
KingKong2005 wrote: It makes it right since it was that era. There weren't a lot of black people in Japan in 1962, you know.
I should've said brownface. I don't believe the natives in the Showa films were meant to be black. But regardless, it still doesn't mean it's right. If they couldn't have gotten dark skinned people to play these roles, then the natives just shouldn't have had dark skin. I don't care what their intentions were, it's still wrong.
^Refer to what I wrote up there. It wasn't wrong and isn't wrong due to the era of the time.
Dr. Professor wrote:
And 2005 they casted a lot of people of that color, but just painted them slightly to match the same color.
Do you have a source for this? I don't see why they would've done that considering it's very common and completely normal for people of the same race to not have the same exact skin tone.
Yes sir, it's called the Behind The Scenes where it shows the casting of the natives.
Last edited by KingKong2005 on Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Showa natives aren't rasict in my mind,because despite the primitive presentation, most of the time they're smarter and more moral then the 'civilized' characters. I will admit the blackface is awkward, but again, different time.

Kong 2005's natives though? They...aren't the best. At all. Like I love the idea of humans who have regressed into savage beasts due to terrible monsters but, it was not executed well at all. Like, real talk, I think it might actually be more racist then the 1933 ones. At least Cooper treated them as humans during Kong's attack on the village.
Last edited by SoggyNoodles2016 on Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RIP Evan.

KingKong2005
EDF Instructor

Post by KingKong2005 »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Showa natives aren't rasict in my mind,because despite the primitive presentation, most of the time they're smarter and more moral then the 'civilized' characters. I will admit the blackface is awkward, but again, different time.

Kong 2005's natives though? They...aren't the best. At all. Like I love the idea of humans who have regressed into savage beasts due to terrible monsters but, it was not executed well at all. Like, real talk, I think it might actually be more racist then the 1933 ones. At least Cooper treated them as humans during Kong's attack on the village.
You're viewing it in a way that makes the film look racist. Totally not the case. Like you said, the idea is that the humans who have been confirmed to be a civilized kind, have mysteriously vanished and replaced with these humans who have become far more savage and lost the primitive techniques their predecessors once had. How was it not executed well? Because they were black? Their actions and behaviors all showed how the limitations and dangers of the island affected them. The idea, which you claim to like. Not only that, but Cooper's natives are more civilized then Jackson's natives due to said dangers of the island. Two totally different cases.
Image Image

SoggyNoodles2016

KingKong2005 wrote:
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Showa natives aren't rasict in my mind,because despite the primitive presentation, most of the time they're smarter and more moral then the 'civilized' characters. I will admit the blackface is awkward, but again, different time.

You're viewing it in a way that makes the film look racist. Totally not the case. Like you said, the idea is that the humans who have been confirmed to be a civilized kind, have mysteriously vanished and replaced with these humans who have become far more savage and lost the primitive techniques their predecessors once had. How was it not executed well? Because they were black? Their actions and behaviors all showed how the limitations and dangers of the island affected them. The idea, which you claim to like. Not only that, but Cooper's natives are more civilized then Jackson's natives due to said dangers of the island. Two totally different cases.
No, I guess it was executed well. It just..always rubbed me wrong. Even as a kid, I never liked the natives. I love the movie, but the natives were always my least favorite. I can like the idea and still hate how it was presented. And the civilization didn't vanish, they devolved into the natives in movie.

RIP Evan.

KingKong2005
EDF Instructor

Post by KingKong2005 »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:
KingKong2005 wrote:

No, I guess it was executed well. It just..always rubbed me wrong. Even as a kid, I never liked the natives. I love the movie, but the natives were always my least favorite. I can like the idea and still hate how it was presented. And the civilization didn't vanish, they devolved into the natives in movie.
No, the ancient civilization was wiped out and replaced with the modern ones. What wiped them out no one knows, but the new natives origins are unclear other then the fact that both are different. The ancient civilization was the most advanced on earth, there would have been no signs of them backtracking unless they vanished.

So basically there's nothing wrong with the natives, just your opinion that they were executed poorly. My question is what exactly makes you think that? Because to me they were executed perfectly.
Image Image

SoggyNoodles2016

KingKong2005 wrote:
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:
KingKong2005 wrote: You're viewing it in a way that makes the film look racist. Totally not the case. Like you said, the idea is that the humans who have been confirmed to be a civilized kind, have mysteriously vanished and replaced with these humans who have become far more savage and lost the primitive techniques their predecessors once had. How was it not executed well? Because they were black? Their actions and behaviors all showed how the limitations and dangers of the island affected them. The idea, which you claim to like. Not only that, but Cooper's natives are more civilized then Jackson's natives due to said dangers of the island. Two totally different cases.
No, the ancient civilization was wiped out and replaced with the modern ones. What wiped them out no one knows, but the new natives origins are unclear other then the fact that both are different. The ancient civilization was the most advanced on earth, there would have been no signs of them backtracking unless they vanished.

So basically there's nothing wrong with the natives, just your opinion that they were executed poorly. My question is what exactly makes you think that? Because to me they were executed perfectly.
It took me time to think, but I finally figure out why they weren't executed well.

Because they weren't monsters.

Jackson made them seem like monsters with his cinematography but they never actually did anything inhuman. They didn't have some bizzare inhuman movement or behaviors, they acted like people. Creepy people from a native culture but still people. That's why it doesn't work. Because the film treats them as inhuman monsters, when the only evidence is acting creepy and doing a ritual of their culture.

I probably fucked up the explanation but that's how I feel.

RIP Evan.

GojiDude95
Interpol Agent

Post by GojiDude95 »

I have to agree with KingKong2005 on this one. Times were different. Plus some primitive clans were shown to be savages anyways. I liked the natives in 2005 more than I did with the peaceful ones from KSI. They're living in a dangerous environment that has had no contact with the civilised world of course they're not gonna be quite friendly. But that's what made me like them cause of how real it sounds. As a kid I never saw racism just a really convincing clan that has managed to survive in a island full of monsters. That's kinda badass honestly. But to each their own I guess.

Added in 2 minutes 52 seconds:
Now do you guys wanna know what is cringy? All Monsters Attack. Nuff said.

SoggyNoodles2016

GojiDude95 wrote:Times were different
It was 13 FUCKING YEARS AGO unless you're talking about the orginal, but I'm pretty sure you weren't. Clarify if I'm wrong
Plus some primitive clans were shown to be savages anyways.
Yeah, but thats usually considered wrong to think. Granted, it kind of fits for Skull Island but its usualy not a good idea to fully embrace a stereotype when designing characters.
I liked the natives in 2005 more than I did with the peaceful ones from KSI. They're living in a dangerous environment that has had no contact with the civilised world of course they're not gonna be quite friendly. But that's what made me like them cause of how real it sounds.
You know, I always thought a group of people who survived on a monster island and created a peaceful utopia is much more badass then being a bunch of crazy savages ( I don't like calling them that but it's what Jackson wanted so...)
Actually that's my problem with the natives. Jackson deliberately wanted backwards savages. At least the other incarnations added some more depth to their natives. How is it the 3 hour long overdetailed movie is the only one that doesn't?

Anyways, I'm tired, and I have work tomorrow so I'm just gonna end this and say everyone can have their own opinions, whatever you want to think, think it.

RIP Evan.