The Godzilla Cringe Thread

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
godjacob
Futurian

Re: The Godzilla Cringe Thread

Post by godjacob »

Thegarbagemonster wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:06 pm
_JNavs_ wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:49 am
goji89 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:47 am

I don't know whether to slap you with my left hand or my right hand.
Oh he's the guy who does couch reviews with Home Alone guy
Out of any gamer you've ever heard, he's surely the one with the worst temper.
In fact, he's quite notorious for it.
I even hear he is somewhat of a nerd.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

godjacob wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:10 pm

I even hear he is somewhat of a nerd.
I even hear he likes to massacre the art of cinema.
Last edited by Voyager on Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For Emperor and Empire!

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

goji89 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:47 am

I don't know whether to slap you with my left hand or my right hand.
I wonder why he was so angry at Nintendo?

Added in 1 minute 24 seconds:
Executive Hamster wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:50 am And Im sure many other Gen Zers with no knowledge of 60s monster movies also got introduced to them through him.
His Top 10 Movie Monsters video introduced me to The Host, The Giant Claw, Reptilicus, and probably a bunch more so I can confirm this as true.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Monster Madness helped get me into classic horror movies. As did Goosebumps before it.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

His top 10 Giant monsters video and Godzillathon got me into Godzilla and kaiju back in late 2010. I've never had anything against him even with his tendancy to get information wrong. I adore those videos and his channel overall.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

That top ten list has a nice variety of movies, and anyone who gives The Giant Claw the number one spot can't be all bad.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

I got into monster's in the late 80's but really took off with Monstervision in the very early 90's. You millennials have it too good now.

It's anger and frustration but mostly jealousy I hate you beanie babies. I had to walk 3 miles to a video store just to rent some of these movies on fucking VHS mind you.

Be kind rewind biiitches.
Last edited by goji89 on Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Thegarbagemonster
EDF Instructor

Post by Thegarbagemonster »

goji89 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:30 pm I got into monster's in the late 80's but really took off with Monstervision in the very early 90's. You millennials have it too good now.

It's anger and frustration but mostly jealousy I hate you beanie babies. Do you knkw I had to walk 3 miles to a video store just to rent some of these movie on skreeonking VHS mind you.

Oh yeah? When I was a kid, we didn't even have monsters. I had to walk out of my cave and go look at dinosaurs roaming around on the plains, they were the closest thing we had.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Thegarbagemonster wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:34 pm
goji89 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:30 pm I got into monster's in the late 80's but really took off with Monstervision in the very early 90's. You millennials have it too good now.

It's anger and frustration but mostly jealousy I hate you beanie babies. Do you knkw I had to walk 3 miles to a video store just to rent some of these movie on skreeonking VHS mind you.

Oh yeah? When I was a kid, we didn't even have monsters. I had to walk out of my cave and go look at dinosaurs roaming around on the plains, they were the closest thing we had.
:shock:

Quick question..... did they move in herds?

Thegarbagemonster
EDF Instructor

goji89 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:35 pm Quick question..... did they move in herds?
They moved in herds. They did move in herds.
I even clocked the T. rex at 32mph.
Last edited by Thegarbagemonster on Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Thegarbagemonster wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:43 pm
goji89 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:35 pm Quick question..... did they move in herds?
They moved in herds. They did move in herds.
I even clocked the T. rex at 32mph.
Clever girl.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

I think a Blockbuster would do well in today's climate. Make it one of the shops that carry exclusive-first access to all the latest Theater/Streaming releases physically. In BR/4k/8k etc.

There'd be a building audience for it.

I grew up on VHS and DVDs, that's where my affinity for sci-fi (and big G) comes from. I much prefer physical over digital, but that's probably bc I'm a collector.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Post by Executive Hamster »

I can assure you that bringing back Blockbuster in 2021 would be a huge success. The hipsters would go WILD (myself included teehee)
Also, yall are FUCKIN old.
Last edited by Executive Hamster on Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

goji89 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:30 pm I got into monster's in the late 80's but really took off with Monstervision in the very early 90's.
TNT's MonsterVision was my jam! So nostalgic.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato stans just built different.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Rando Yaguchi wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:25 pm
goji89 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:30 pm I got into monster's in the late 80's but really took off with Monstervision in the very early 90's.
TNT's MonsterVision was my jam! So nostalgic.
Right? It was fucking awesome. Watching these movies on the Tele was a treat, break out the T.V guides people.

Thegarbagemonster
EDF Instructor

This went from the cringe thread to the wholesome get to know eachother thread pretty quickly

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Damn this makes me feel way too young :lol:
Mainly got introduced to the franchise through DVDs. Nothing too special, I only remember being utterly vowed seeing G2000 being only familiar with the 98 film at that point. Which then led to more DVDs and my growing fascination obviously.

Kaiju-Killer 751
Monsterland Worker

Post by Kaiju-Killer 751 »

Dv-218 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:10 am Damn this makes me feel way too young :lol:
Mainly got introduced to the franchise through DVDs. Nothing too special, I only remember being utterly vowed seeing G2000 being only familiar with the 98 film at that point. Which then led to more DVDs and my growing fascination obviously.
Same here! GODZILLA (1998) is definitely my folks favorite foray into the franchise, although they have watched some of the older Japanese films; It was TriStar that got me in, followed by Godzilla 2000, then Godzilla: Final Wars, Godzilla: Unleashed and then....the rest is history.

Thegarbagemonster
EDF Instructor

Godzilla 1998 was the only Kaiju film really available to me since I live in the UK and didn't have internet growing up. But once I had it I found out about the other Godzilla films through clips of FW and through people making toy reviews. I didn't really have that much of an ignited interest in Godzilla until maybe 2013 or so, just in time for the G2014 trailer, but I certainly liked the series before then. Just wasn't a proper fan. Most of what I knew about it actually came from books, I read a lot of books on sci-fi and horror monsters.

And as this is the cringe thread, I'll just share the related tidbit of the time I was reading on of said books and someone I knew pointed to a picture of Godzilla who had pretty noticeable pecs in an illustration and said "See, you can really tell its a female!!" and I genuinely could not convince her otherwise. Because she thought Godzilla had straight up boobs.

I still wanna know if there's a thread for stories of misconceptions like that. Yknow what I mean? I looked, but couldn't find one. There's a certain kick I get from reading about people saying weird things about Godzilla.
Last edited by Thegarbagemonster on Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

I'll give ya one.

One of my neighbors and I *long time ago* watched Godzilla once and he said Godzilla was a hermaphrodite meaning he had a penis and vagina and had sex with himself........

Guess which movie gave him that Idea?