The Godzilla Cringe Thread

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
BlankAccount
Sazer

Re: The Godzilla Cringe Thread

Post by BlankAccount »

You gotta make that hillside just as convincing as the buildings.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Living Corpse wrote:You gotta make that hillside just as convincing as the buildings.
True but surely it wouldn’t require the same amount of materials and labour.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Painting is probably time consuming, and I know several movies use shrubs as trees.

cmdmstudios
JXSDF Technician

Post by cmdmstudios »

KaijuCanuck wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:You gotta make that hillside just as convincing as the buildings.
True but surely it wouldn’t require the same amount of materials and labour.
Well, for trees (according the the 'Bring Godzilla Down to Size' documentary) they would actually grow shrubs and bushes, cut them and tie them together. They would only have a limited amount of time before said trees would start to brown and just look dead, and then would have to regrow and make more of them. Although, nowadays, you could get some pretty convincing trees from most hobby stores. A bit of paint and flocking and they'll turn out great. In the 70s, apparently, you had to grow your own. Kinda like a bonsai tree.
Well, that's certainly a thing.

"Well, you see, the Higgs Bison is the friendliest species of the water buffalo."

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Anyone else notice that in multiple subtitle tracks of Godzilla movies, when a character says the word ‘senpai’ to address another, the subtitles translate it as the character’s name rather than translating the word ‘senpai’?

Not even being snide necessarily, although I posted here because I didn’t really know where else, but actually very curious about this.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

KaijuCanuck wrote:Anyone else notice that in multiple subtitle tracks of Godzilla movies, when a character says the word ‘senpai’ to address another, the subtitles translate it as the character’s name rather than translating the word ‘senpai’?

Not even being snide necessarily, although I posted here because I didn’t really know where else, but actually very curious about this.
I hadn't noticed that, but it doesn't surprise me. There isn't really a clean English translation for senpai, is there? I've seen some anime try to translate it as 'upperclassman', but when was the last time you heard an English speaker address someone with that word? It's easier to just bypass it and use the character's name.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

JAGzilla wrote:
KaijuCanuck wrote:Anyone else notice that in multiple subtitle tracks of Godzilla movies, when a character says the word ‘senpai’ to address another, the subtitles translate it as the character’s name rather than translating the word ‘senpai’?

I hadn't noticed that, but it doesn't surprise me. There isn't really a clean English translation for senpai, is there? I've seen some anime try to translate it as 'upperclassman', but when was the last time you heard an English speaker address someone with that word? It's easier to just bypass it and use the character's name.
Exactly. Oftentimes the point in translating isn't to get a literal meaning but one that makes sense in the context of another language.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

The amount of hate the anime films get just because of the monster designs or Godzilla screentime is so embarrassing.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

KingKong2005
EDF Instructor

Post by KingKong2005 »

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:The amount of hate the anime films get just because of the monster designs or Godzilla screentime is so embarrassing.
Nah it is totally justified. Terrible characters, the most boring plot and most boring Godzilla (which I thought wasn't even possible ever since Shin), and the OPness of Godzilla both size and abilities is just utterly stupid. I know I'm a total ray of sunshine, but sorry these have to be the worst Godzilla films ever. Dead on the bottom, topping it are Godzilla's Revenge, Sea Monster, and Hedorah.
Image Image

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:The amount of hate the anime films get just because of the monster designs or Godzilla screentime is so embarrassing.
I second this. I saw so many people complaining about Toho just using the same monsters again for the anime films, and then when they see that they're actively trying to make them stand out they cry about that too. It's kind of baffling. Personally I loved what they did with the whole MechaGodzilla City thing and I'm very excited to see this brand new take on Ghidorah. I like getting shit we've never seen before.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

And if you ask me, anime is the perfect medium to explore crazy new concepts like this in.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Agreed. And honestly, the number of people on Facebook that hated City on the Edge of Battle because it was about a city, and not a new version of traditional Godzilla vs. MechaGodzilla- and worse, treated it like false advertising... well, I find it just sad, because I feel like we got something really unique and interesting in the franchise, and people are missing out on it because it didn't meet their false expectations of what it would be (a fourth version of a film we've already seen).
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

While I admire the fact that Toho is willing to explore more wild and original ideas, I honestly think the actual way they are used in the anime movies gets the better of them...I just feel that honestly a lot of cool ideas in the trilogy seem to get buried under lackluster execution.

And aside from Space Lagolas (aka the best alien in the franchise), Elu..Malu? And the twins, I did not find any other character that particulary interesting....And Haruo just comes off as annoying in most of his scenes.

But hey, if people love them, then great- that's what makes me glad that the franchise is innovating like that, there is something for eveybody :)
Last edited by Dv-218 on Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

MrGoji1999
Monarch Researcher

Post by MrGoji1999 »

I think some of you guys already mentioned it, but the amount of comments from people who just treat Godzilla films as wrestling matches and always complain when a film focuses more on the human characters rather than just kaijus for the entire run-time makes me cringe a lot.
While I´m not the biggest fan of the anime films so far, the designs or Godzilla screentime is not that big of a problem for me, I LOVE Son of Godzilla and that film din´t have the best monsters designs ever, while Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla II has the longest Godzilla screentime in any film (if my memory works well), but I found it extremely dull.

I like that they take risks with some creative ideas like Mechagodzilla city, even if I think the execution itself was lackluster, I admire that they are trying do something different with the Godzilla mythos in these films, its just the execution that I have my problems with. Still, nice to see people liking these films though! :)
Last edited by MrGoji1999 on Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Now I have become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds- J. Robert Oppenheimer.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Know what the anime could have done? Give us new monsters.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Living Corpse wrote:Know what the anime could have done? Give us new monsters.
I wish this this site had a "like a comment" option, because then I would upvote this over a hundred times :D

Seriously, all these different monsters being used only in novels and promotional material is such a gigantic waste it's not even funny.
Imo Noodelino-Ghidorinio's role in the final movie could have easily been taken by either Dogorah or Spacegodzilla (seriously, the exif getting their planet destroyed by a monster similar to Godzilla? "Godzilla Earth"? It seemed like it was building up for that).

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

How could you forget the unforgettable Servum?!? :)
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

GigaBowserG wrote:
How could you forget the unforgettable Servum?!? :)
And they did dick with them.

KillCrites
Interpol Agent

Post by KillCrites »

The purpose of the anime is to drastically re-imagine previously established concepts and characters. It opts to do new things with those classic elements rather than creating entirely new stuff to work with which is totally fine in my opinion and I really dig what was done.
Last edited by KillCrites on Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
why did i have to be the chosen one?

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Well, it's gonna be the 1st time in history we'll see a battle between an intergalactic planet-destroying pasta and a 400ft tall weed bush. That's certinialy impressive by it's own right lol.