The Godzilla Cringe Thread

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Re: The Godzilla Cringe Thread

Post by eabaker »

I think being the first opponent Godzilla ever fought, and one of the few that ever felt remotely "real" (in that GRA was much less a fantasy movie than any subsequent Showa era Godzilla flicks), gives Angilas a pretty distinct significance to the genre.

And I'd say that he's more than just one of the crowd in DAM. While Godzilla clearly has the most prominence of the "hero" monsters, I'd say Angilas, Gorosaurus, Mothra and Manda all form a pretty even second tier.

Added in 1 minute 20 seconds:
KingKong2005 wrote:Besides getting his ass handed to him in every movie he's in
How often he wins fights seems totally irrelevant to the discussion.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

GalacticPetey
Gotengo Officer

Post by GalacticPetey »

I love Anguirus for his design, his personality, and his place in Godzilla history. He's Godzilla's first opponent and was a constant in the latter half of the Showa period.

People who base their likes and dislikes simply on strength levels and "feats" make me roll my eyes.
I can't believe that Godzilla was the only surviving member of its species, but if we continue conducting nuclear tests, it's possible that another Godzilla might appear somewhere in the world again.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Maritonic wrote:Lord. I never said anything about the animation quality.

I posted it because I PERSONALLY feel kaiju engaging in full conversations and Mothra having tits is cringe worthy.

I even posted again that clearly I was in the minority.

Sheesh.
I feel your pain, my friend- this is clearly "I didn't intend that to be controversial!" Day. :)
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

KingKong2005
EDF Instructor

Post by KingKong2005 »

eabaker wrote:I think being the first opponent Godzilla ever fought, and one of the few that ever felt remotely "real" (in that GRA was much less a fantasy movie than any subsequent Showa era Godzilla flicks), gives Angilas a pretty distinct significance to the genre.

And I'd say that he's more than just one of the crowd in DAM. While Godzilla clearly has the most prominence of the "hero" monsters, I'd say Angilas, Gorosaurus, Mothra and Manda all form a pretty even second tier.

Added in 1 minute 20 seconds:
KingKong2005 wrote:Besides getting his ass handed to him in every movie he's in
How often he wins fights seems totally irrelevant to the discussion.
Well not really. I understand what you're saying, but Anguirus always gets beat and usually has those whimpy, small, shoulders up moments where after that he scurries away or something like that. He walked into a literal buzzsaw, showing him as a slight doofus isn't so bad.
Maritonic wrote:Lord. I never said anything about the animation quality.

I posted it because I PERSONALLY feel kaiju engaging in full conversations and Mothra having tits is cringe worthy.

I even posted again that clearly I was in the minority.

Sheesh.
Yeah sorry if you think I'm putting you on the spot or something like that. But it isn't cringe in my opinion since it's a cartoon. Having them talk in an actual film like Godzilla Vs Gigan is cringe.
Image Image

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Yeah that's your opinion. Not mine.

Between this, the Godzilla 2 Spec thread, and both the SHMA and NECA thread, i need a damn vacation from this place.
Last edited by Maritonic on Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Zarm wrote: I feel your pain, my friend- this is clearly "I didn't intend that to be controversial!" Day. :)
You pick anguirus a beloved kaiju character and compare him to do nothing characters what the hell you expect not to be controversial about it. And, and, you compare him to Captain Phasma.....quite literally the most over hyped character in the new Star Wars movies? My earlier statement stands.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

goji89 wrote:
Zarm wrote: I feel your pain, my friend- this is clearly "I didn't intend that to be controversial!" Day. :)
You pick anguirus a beloved kaiju character and compare him to do nothing characters what the hell you expect not to be controversial about it. And, and, you compare him to Captain Phasma.....quite literally the most over hyped character in the new Star Wars movies? My earlier statement stands.
Dude, not sure where you're coming from; Boba Fett is generally (Episode II) considered to be one of the coolest characters in Star Wars where I come from. He is also a beloved character; a byword for badass. That was the point of the comparison. It was a complement. I have never before seen anyone take a comparison to Boba Fett as an insult to a character.

And like it or not (I certainly don't), a bunch of people these days feel the same way about Phasma, so the comparison still seemed apt.

In terms of being do-nothings, Fett fought admirably against Luke Skywalker twice, but didn't beat him, and outsmarted Han Solo in tracking the Falcon despite the garbage trick. Three times he was a contributing factor to the overall plot and success of his side, but didn't have any solo victories. This is pretty comprable to Anguirus' record. Likewise, his overall screen time in the total runtime of the showa series is pretty comprable to Fett's in the runtime of the trilogy. It's minor, but with an audience impact far beyond the sum of its parts.
Last edited by Zarm on Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

GigaGoji
GPN Volunteer

Post by GigaGoji »

Anguirus is cool. He might be a little clumsy, but he's got the heart of a champion.

End of story. :P

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Zarm wrote:You know, sometimes I do find it funny (and I say this as an Anguirus fan) how little Anguirus' legend is built on. I mean, he's pretty generic and dies in Raids Again, has one big moment in DAM (being absent in all the films between those, pretty much sitting out the whole golden era), has a pretty big role in vs. Gigan, and then glorified cameos in, I think, two more movies. Basically, a throwaway villain in one of the least-loved early films, one of the ensemble in the spectacle films, and then a few bit parts getting beat up in the declining days of the series. His role as Godzilla's best buddy is basically predicated entirely on vs. Gigan.
This is a compliment? A throwaway villain, absenttee, generic, one hit wonder in DAM, punching bag, and just made for cameos.

[/quote]So basically, he's the Boba Fett or Captain Phasma of the kaiju universe; he shows up, looks cool, doesn't do much, and gets a hugely-loyal fanbase.

I said exactly what you implied here that he is a do nothing character.

And sure, he walked into a buzz-saw once... but Boba Fett got taken out like a punk by accident by a blind guy. His 'death' was a burp-joke punchline. And Boba Fett is considered no less cool for it! Same thing for Anguirus; 'that one doesn't count!'

Help me understand this....you call a great character a punk? Or taken out like one implying he has nothing.
Cause that's right, that's what I said- Anguirus is the Boba-frickin'-Fett of the kaiju universe, and don't you forget it! ;)

you said Boba fett got taken out like a punk....when DID anguirus look like a punk in his ass whooping? Chainsaw to his face, a broken jaw, compliments by Mechagodzilla?
Biting Ghidorahs head making him bleed a feat other than Godzilla no other has done? Now I know I may be dragging this on but my question is that how is this a compliment to said character? Not trying to start anything it's that I'm just a bit confused here with this post, help a brother understand.

Damn it......Sorry everyone I've never quoted these segments like you guys do so well, never really needed to. Congratations Zarm you managed to make me try to break down a damn quote.
Last edited by goji89 on Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

I don't understand the comparison myself, either.

Boba Fett did jack shit in the films. He didn't capture Han Solo, Darth Vader did. Boba just stood by while Vader had Solo carbonized and handed him off to Jabba before ROTJ. Then he stood around the palace and looked cool before going out like a wet bitch.

Phasma also did literally nothing. People only like her for her chrome armor. That's it.

Anguirus, on the other hand, was Godzilla's first enemy. Even though he was defeated, his role is still historically significant. He displayed bravery (albeit, poorly timed most of the time) and tenacity during his battles. He was also the monster who first revealed Fake Godzilla's identity in Mechagodzilla.

My point is, Anguirus did far, far more in his film appearances than Boba Fett and Phasma combined. I think it's silly to compare him to those two when they're nothing alike.
Last edited by UltramanGoji on Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

UltramanGoji wrote:Boba Fett did jack shit in the films. He didn't capture Han Solo, Darth Vader did.
Boba Fett tracked Han Solo, which is more than Vader did.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

eabaker wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:Boba Fett did jack shit in the films. He didn't capture Han Solo, Darth Vader did.
Boba Fett tracked Han Solo, which is more than Vader did.
Eh, I guess. But I still don't think the comparison is apt. Anguirus still has much more prominence in the Godzilla films than Boba Fett in the SW films.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Exactly my confusion here. Anguirus has more going for him than people know. Anguirus took out a huge chunk of synthetic flesh from MG. Made Ghidorah bleed, broken jaw still lived, buzzsaw to the face still lived, dropped a few hundred meters still lived. I'm saying is Boba fett has no comparison to Anguirus whatsoever not even close.

Like I said the compliments part is what three me off. How is it actually a "good" compliment to this character is all.

KingKong2005
EDF Instructor

Post by KingKong2005 »

I do love Anguirus though. Not saying he's a flat out dope, but again I personally don't see a problem with his dialogue. What monsters do you think that dialogue would fit with?
Image Image

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

KingKong2005 wrote:I do love Anguirus though. Not saying he's a flat out dope, but again I personally don't see a problem with his dialogue. What monsters do you think that dialogue would fit with?
Is "none" an acceptable response?

KingKong2005
EDF Instructor

Post by KingKong2005 »

eabaker wrote:
KingKong2005 wrote:I do love Anguirus though. Not saying he's a flat out dope, but again I personally don't see a problem with his dialogue. What monsters do you think that dialogue would fit with?
Is "none" an acceptable response?
Lol but again it's there for comedic purposes. It's not everyone's cup of tea. Plus I don't think he'll be like that throughout the whole cartoon.
GigaGoji wrote:Anguirus is cool. He might be a little clumsy, but he's got the heart of a champion.

End of story. :P
Totally missed this response. I agree with you.
Last edited by KingKong2005 on Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

goji89 wrote:This is a compliment? A throwaway villain, absenttee, generic, one hit wonder in DAM, punching bag, and just made for cameos.
I was comparing to Phasma and Fett for the 'low screen time comparatively but huge following' aspect, which Anguirus has (proportionally low screen time in the overall series). Not sure what's meant by 'generic villain'- if you mean Phasma, I agree, and wasn't trying to compare Anguirus to her (that's why I only mentioned her when describing the screen-time-to-popularity ratio, and otherwise only used Fett); if you meant Fett here, I really hadn't seen or heard him described in that way, so again, no intention to compare Anguirus to a generic villain. Not sure about 'absentee' either. I don't think I called him a punching bag, and only brought up the fact that several of his appearances were only cameos or single notable scenes (as in DAM) to emphasize the 'low screen time (and yet he's still so popular!)' aspect.

goji89 wrote:you said Boba fett got taken out like a punk....when DID anguirus look like a punk in his ass whooping? Chainsaw to his face, a broken jaw, compliments by Mechagodzilla?
Biting Ghidorahs head making him bleed a feat other than Godzilla no other has done? Now I know I may be dragging this on but my question is that how is this a compliment to said character? Not trying to start anything it's that I'm just a bit confused here with this post, help a brother understand.
I said that Boba Fett going out like a punk was the one exception, that typically didn't ruin his coolness in anyone's eyes (considered an aberration, and not a reflection on the overall character), hence, Anguirus running face-first into a buzz saw was his allowable aberration that didn't count toward him 'being a doofus,' which was the primary thing people were using to say that 'doofus' was an apt description of him.

Also, in the Expanded Universe, Fett is basically an unstoppable force of nature with more feats of awesome than Vader and Darth Maul combined- the Captain Gordon or Sen-Chan of the Star Wars universe. Despite the fact that this was never about comparing individual feats, the Fett of Star Wars lore has a ton of 'em. He's considered by many to be one of the coolest, if not the coolest character in the universe. He's responsible for the ongoing legions of fans obsessed over mandalorian culture, building their own armor, etc.; the mandalorians are still in the current, ongoing series of today. Etc. Literally before today, I have never heard anyone express the kind of low opinion that you guys have or consider Fett some sort of Jar-Jar-esque disappointment. :) So in every parlance that I know, Boba Fett represents 'minor character with huge fanbase considered to be the height of badassery and still wildly popular today.'

Make sense?

Added in 5 minutes 29 seconds:
UltramanGoji wrote:My point is, Anguirus did far, far more in his film appearances than Boba Fett and Phasma combined. I think it's silly to compare him to those two when they're nothing alike.
The comparison is apt because all three characters had proportionally low onscreen times, but also had huge fanbases. That's it. That was the comparison.

However, if you push the metaphor deeper, Fett outfoxed Han (seeing through his trick), engaged Luke twice successfully (pinning Luke down the first time, wrapping him up and only disengaging when an explosion separated them the second time). Again, no solo bad-guy wins, but a record of useful contribution alongside the other villains of the story. Which, flipped around, is a pretty good parallel for Anguirus. He never had a solo win, but contributed strongly, was a useful support to Godzilla, contributing necessary skill to Godzilla's victory (as Fett did to Vader's capture), and acquitted himself in other battles despite not actually winning any of them by himself. And the rest of the time, he just stood around and looked cool. :)

Hence, why Fett and Anguirus work as closer parallels to each other. They've had similar supporting-role careers, gone toe-to-toe with the main hero, had a single facepalm-moment that most fans tend to discount, and has a huge fanbase despite a smaller role.
Last edited by Zarm on Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Maranatha!

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Zarm wrote:
goji89 wrote:This is a compliment? A throwaway villain, absenttee, generic, one hit wonder in DAM, punching bag, and just made for cameos.
I was comparing to Phasma and Fett for the 'low screen time comparatively but huge following' aspect, which Anguirus has (proportionally low screen time in the overall series). Not sure what's meant by 'generic villain'- if you mean Phasma, I agree, and wasn't trying to compare Anguirus to her (that's why I only mentioned her when describing the screen-time-to-popularity ratio, and otherwise only used Fett); if you meant Fett here, I really hadn't seen or heard him described in that way, so again, no intention to compare Anguirus to a generic villain. Not sure about 'absentee' either. I don't think I called him a punching bag, and only brought up the fact that several of his appearances were only cameos or single notable scenes (as in DAM) to emphasize the 'low screen time (and yet he's still so popular!)' aspect.

goji89 wrote:you said Boba fett got taken out like a punk....when DID anguirus look like a punk in his ass whooping? Chainsaw to his face, a broken jaw, compliments by Mechagodzilla?
I said that Boba Fett going out like a punk was the one exception, that typically didn't ruin his coolness in anyone's eyes (considered an aberration, and not a reflection on the overall character), hence, Anguirus running face-first into a buzz saw was his allowable aberration that didn't count toward him 'being a doofus,' which was the primary thing people were using to say that 'doofus' was an apt description of him.

Make sense?
To each their own I guess, still think it's not comparable but let's agree to disagree........Now how in the fuck do you quote segments damn it. You guys know I'm forum illiterate.

KingKong2005
EDF Instructor

Post by KingKong2005 »

goji89 wrote:
Zarm wrote:

Make sense?
To each their own I guess, still think it's not comparable but let's agree to disagree........Now how in the skreeonk do you quote segments damn it. You guys know I'm forum illiterate.
Segments?
Image Image

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

KingKong2005 wrote: Segments?
Did you need to quote all of that just to say segments? :eh:

My MAN!! :huge: