The Godzilla Cringe Thread

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Orichalcum
Interpol Agent

Re: The Godzilla Cringe Thread

Post by Orichalcum »

Gotta love how no one has respect for the way these monsters are brought to life, only for how they look or what they are.
Last edited by Orichalcum on Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*Formerly known as Stump Feet*

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Orichalcum wrote:Gotta love how no one has respect for the way these monsters are brought to life, only for how they look or what they are.
yeah but Kumonga just means spider, doesn’t have a cool kick ass name like SCYLLA
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
Orichalcum wrote:Gotta love how no one has respect for the way these monsters are brought to life, only for how they look or what they are.
yeah but Kumonga just means spider, doesn’t have a cool kick ass name like SCYLLA
Well, it means "humongous spider." What exactly does "Scylla" mean? And how is it pronounced? Is that a silent "c"?
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Orichalcum
Interpol Agent

Post by Orichalcum »

Kumonga’s portrayed by a cheap dollar store Halloween decoration, fuck that, give me cool realistic Scylla anyday
Last edited by Orichalcum on Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

In all seriousness, I think one thing I really dislike about the modern sling of Monsterverse creatures is actually their names. Like the majority of them have names from either the Bible or Greek mythology, stereotypically “epic names”. It’s like,”we need to give them epic names to be cool”.

One thing I really liked, was actually the MUTOs name. It stood for something, but also worked as stand alone original creature name,
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:One thing I really liked, was actually the MUTOs name. It stood for something, but also worked as stand alone original creature name,
I don't really like the way it's pronounced. No actual, objective criticism of it, I just don't like the way it sounds.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Komenja
Interpol Agent

Post by Komenja »

Everytime I read/hear "Scylla" the first monster that pops into my head is the one from Project Maigo
LSD Jellyfish wrote:In all seriousness, I think one thing I really dislike about the modern sling of Monsterverse creatures is actually their names. Like the majority of them have names from either the Bible or Greek mythology, stereotypically “epic names”. It’s like,”we need to give them epic names to be cool”.
Man, same. Ditto for the whole "Titans" moniker. Just call them kaiju or monsters, it's what they are.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Komenja wrote:Ditto for the whole "Titans" moniker. Just call them kaiju or monsters, it's what they are.
Lord, yes! "Titans" is so pretentious it hurts.

Orichalcum
Interpol Agent

Post by Orichalcum »

eabaker wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:One thing I really liked, was actually the MUTOs name. It stood for something, but also worked as stand alone original creature name,
I don't really like the way it's pronounced. No actual, objective criticism of it, I just don't like the way it sounds.
Me either, I prefer (Mew-Toe)

Added in 41 seconds:
eabaker wrote:
Komenja wrote:Ditto for the whole "Titans" moniker. Just call them kaiju or monsters, it's what they are.
The entire movie was pretentious so it fits right in.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

eabaker wrote:
iF We dONT giVE tHEm LITerARY sIGNificANT naMES tO bE ANAlyzed hOW elSE arE we suPPOSed shOW wE PUt soME THOughT INto THe FiLM

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Komenja wrote:Everytime I read/hear "Scylla" the first monster that pops into my head is the one from Project Maigo
Best novel in the Nemesis saga imo.
Man, same. Ditto for the whole "Titans" moniker. Just call them kaiju or monsters, it's what they are.
I wish they had called it the Kaijuverse instead of Monsterverse, yes it's clunky but it's more specific, Monsterverse could just mean monsters in general like Dracula, not giant ones specific.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Living Corpse wrote:
Komenja wrote:Everytime I read/hear "Scylla" the first monster that pops into my head is the one from Project Maigo
Best novel in the Nemesis saga imo.
I wish they had called it the Kaijuverse instead of Monsterverse, yes it's clunky but it's more specific, Monsterverse could just mean monsters in general like Dracula, not giant ones specific.
I remember originally people being excited, myself included, that it might lead to some exciting things like a remake of THEM!

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

I pronounce Scylla like "Sky-la". Is that wrong?
Last edited by DirektorSplennic on Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Orichalcum
Interpol Agent

Post by Orichalcum »

DirektorSplennic wrote:I pronounce Scylla like "Skyla". Is that wrong?
Yeah, it’s like Zilla with an “S”

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

Orichalcum wrote:
DirektorSplennic wrote:I pronounce Scylla like "Skyla". Is that wrong?
Yeah, it’s like Zilla with an “S”
Well I don't like that. That sounds dumb. I refuse to conform to society's pronunciation of Scylla.

Orichalcum
Interpol Agent

Post by Orichalcum »

I liked pronouncing it “Cy-La”

GoWhaleTours
JXSDF Technician

Post by GoWhaleTours »

Skill-uh
GO GO GOJI KUN

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

DirektorSplennic wrote:I pronounce Scylla like "Sky-la". Is that wrong?
No,i pronunce it like that too.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Orichalcum
Interpol Agent

Post by Orichalcum »

It's still inaccurate whether you do it too. Mike pronounced it *Silla* in the commentary.

Fish Cakes
G-Force Personnel

Post by Fish Cakes »

Scylla is named after the monster from Homer's Odyssey. Come the fuck on, guys.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scylla
Drink 32oz of water a day, exercise daily for at least 30 minutes, take your meds as prescribed, eat healthy (count calories), reach out to your support network when you need them, practice basic hygiene, learn from your mistakes, forgive yourself for your failures, admit when you're wrong, be humble when you're right, be nice to animals, and try again.
"You were born perfect, keep improving."