The Godzilla Cringe Thread

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Re: The Godzilla Cringe Thread

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:I still wonder where these narratives come from but nobody wants to answer me with examples. Wonder why....
I’ll give you some quick examples:
During Shin’s initial release run, a lot of people criticized Shin for having a stiff Godzilla, or a lack of screentime. I’ll be clear that this “a lot” was more of a minority. Over time, after the initial gut reaction was over, and many people had chances to rewatch the human story, and discuss it, the film has garnished a lot of admiration from the majority of the fan base on many different levels and for many different reasons.

Yet, there’s still a lot of people who dismiss Shin as boring, or basically write off the films human plot.

Something similar happened with the anime trilogy. I get why a lot of people were upset, because yeah it was lame that we didn’t get too much monster action, there’s people that completely write off the human story, and characters, even though it’s very clear the directors had a vision and executed it to a T.

In the past, I’ve learned a lot about this series, and certain things I took for granted before reading what other people said on this forum. While Godzilla’s Revenge is not an amazing film, I have grown to appreciate it for being a film about a specific part of Japanese culture/era during the 1960’s. I would’ve always assumed and viewed that film as “The one with the annoying kid and stock footage” without others. It’s by means no Shin, but I at least think it’s okay. If some of my posts about Shin/AnimeGoji can help people like or appreciate something more, in the same way I like new films more then that’d be swell.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

I was talking about the whole "people are jackasses because I just say that I find a movie fun" or somebody "getting angry that someone likes a Godzilla movie you don't like or doesn't like one you like." I know all too well about someone dismissing a movie over the surface level elements like a monster's movement or just pulling the whole "nobody cares about the people talky talky scenes."

I also had a similar reevaluation of Revenge and it was partly because of some newer discussion surrounding it. I'm glad that I got way more into film over the past couple of years and that a couple of others started talking about movies more in depth on these forums. This forum revolves around a cinematic franchise (technically an entire film studio) that on it's own shows how films can be culturally relevant reflections of their time, or popcorn schlock, and anything in between. I don't think it's unfair or a dick move to ask that people post better observations or criticisms once they begin a discussion on "so and so movie is objectively good/bad" and then use really bad reasoning. Do I have a negative/trollish demeanor 99% of the time? Yeah, I'm not hiding that at all. But I don't get annoyed simply at someone liking/dislking what I do/dont like. Just shitting on film criticism, an extremely important process of consuming and evaluating art, just because some people you don't like are into it reeks of bitter anti-intellectualism. And getting good at media literacy isn't even some fucking high-IQ thing that bars all outsiders from getting into. Why would you try to dismiss or complain of discussion of an art form this entire forum revolves around because you associate it with somebody you find to be a jackass?
Last edited by Mr_Goji_and_Watch on Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Post by HeiseiGodzilla117 »

I'm conflicted on where I stand in this discussion. I certainly don't consider myself proficient (or even decent) at film analysis/criticism. So I have had a few experiences elsewhere during which my input wasn't well received. And I definitely watch a number of films just to entertain myself and nothing else. I don't always get invested anymore than that.

That said, I definitely understand where those of you who are passionate about film as an art form are coming from. Books and Historiography are forms of media that I apply the same level of analysis to as you guys do with film to the point where, to some, I may come off as an "elitist" or a snob. It's not my intent. It's just one of my passions and I want others to take it as seriously as I do or, at least, appreciate it as much as I do.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

HeiseiGodzilla117 wrote:I'm conflicted on where I stand in this discussion. I certainly don't consider myself proficient (or even decent) at film analysis/criticism. So I have had a few experiences elsewhere during which my input wasn't well received. And I definitely watch a number of films just to entertain myself and nothing else. I don't always get invested anymore than that.

That said, I definitely understand where those of you who are passionate about film as an art form are coming from. Books and Historiography are forms of media that I apply the same level of analysis to as you guys do with film to the point where, to some, I may come off as an "elitist" or a snob. It's not my intent. It's just one of my passions and I want others to take it as seriously as I do or, at least, appreciate it as much as I do.
Well dip my balls into honey.....a post where someone makes fucking sense and ISN'T a dick about it. Good for you, give this guy a cookie..... shiit, ill give them to you, these elitist pricks wouldn't know a good post if it was filmed in Kino vision.

:cookie: :cookie: :cookie: :cookie: :cookie: :cookie: :cookie: :cookie: :cookie:

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

I know exactly where I stand in this discussion. Different people approach these movies in different ways, and we need to not be pricks to each other about how we approach them. We shouldn't be intellectual snobs, and we shouldn't be anti-intellectual snobs.
Last edited by eabaker on Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Post by HeiseiGodzilla117 »

eabaker wrote:I know exactly where I stand in this discussion. Different people approach these movies in different ways, and we need to not be pricks to each other about how we approach them. We shouldn't be intellectual snobs, and we shouldn't be anti-intellectual snobs.

That much should go without saying. But this is the internet after all. People tend to speak or behave in ways they wouldn't in person.

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:During Shin’s initial release run, a lot of people criticized Shin for having a stiff Godzilla
I will readily admit that I was one of these people lol. When the reveals were rolling out for the film, it just didn't gel with me. I thought it looked dumb and that was the end of that.

But shortly before the film's release, I decided to watch NGE which put me in a much more open state of mind. Just being familiar with some of Anno's previous work was enough for me to put away my petty complaints and see if I could "get it". I ended up enjoying the film a lot and it's always a shame when I see people writing the film off because of largely subjective nitpicks. That goes for films in general, actually. Film criticism might not make me cringe, but the shitty CinemaSins-style approach to it sure does.
Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:Why would you try to dismiss or complain of discussion of an art form this entire forum revolves around because you associate it with somebody you find to be a jackass?
Come now, I know some people here exaggerate a lot but I'm sure they're not genuinely that aggressively anti-inte-
goji89 wrote:these elitist pricks wouldn't know a good post if it was filmed in Kino vision.
Ah. Never mind.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

No one is anti intellectual bullshiit. People want to talk cinema with metaphors categories and this sense of knowing what it is your talking about is fine, no one cares. Its when said individual takes it upon themselves to look down on someone for not knowing what they know and come off as complete and utter assholes to other members that is the problem.....That's it, nothing more nothing less.

Added in 1 minute 27 seconds:
Smuggers wrote:
Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:Why would you try to dismiss or complain of discussion of an art form this entire forum revolves around because you associate it with somebody you find to be a jackass?
Come now, I know some people here exaggerate a lot but I'm sure they're not genuinely that aggressively anti-inte-
goji89 wrote:these elitist pricks wouldn't know a good post if it was filmed in Kino vision.
Ah. Never mind.

Joke, smuggers.....joke.

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

goji89 wrote:Its when said individual takes it upon themselves to look down on someone for not knowing what they know and come off as complete and utter assholes to other members that is the problem.....
Who does that?
goji89 wrote:Joke, smuggers.....joke.
When you make the same "jokes" over and over it stops coming off as one.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Smuggers wrote:
goji89 wrote:Its when said individual takes it upon themselves to look down on someone for not knowing what they know and come off as complete and utter assholes to other members that is the problem.....
Who does that?
goji89 wrote:Joke, smuggers.....joke.
When you make the same "jokes" over and over it stops coming off as one.
Meh.....members coming off as assholes to others for not knowing cinema? Hmm....... No One.

My recycled jokes.......well you got me there..I'll get better material.

KingKong2005
EDF Instructor

Post by KingKong2005 »

^I'll be the first to buy tickets to your special!
Image Image

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

KingKong2005 wrote:^I'll be the first to buy tickets to your special!
Thanks man...... :huge:

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

goji89 wrote:No one is anti intellectual bullshiit. People want to talk cinema with metaphors categories and this sense of knowing what it is your talking about is fine, no one cares.
There have been plenty of times on this board that somebody has come into a conversation about character or theme and said something along the lines of, "You're just being pretentious; we all know that the only reason anyone watches these movies is for the monsters smashing stuff. Knock it off."
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

eabaker wrote:
goji89 wrote:No one is anti intellectual bullshiit. People want to talk cinema with metaphors categories and this sense of knowing what it is your talking about is fine, no one cares.
There have been plenty of times on this board that somebody has come into a conversation about character or theme and said something along the lines of, "You're just being pretentious; we all know that the only reason anyone watches these movies is for the monsters smashing stuff. Knock it off."
Why you have this desire to be lumped in with these people is beyond me.....but fine fuck it. Have you been an asshole to anyone here because they knew less about cinema? Stop trying to act like a victim and everyone is out to get you. Yes, there are people like you've stated but they are far and between. Most here partake into the witty banter of movies....but then you get that one asshole as well.

Ive stated what I needed to say on the matter. But ill be damned if ill speak out against some of these people that are assholes again. You guy's want these type of guy's here fine by me.

Like I said....im here to just shoot the breeze with some of y'all.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

goji89 wrote:Why you have this desire to be lumped in with these people is beyond me
A couple of pages ago you made one of your points as a direct reply to me, and you seemed to be calling me out as much as you were anyone else.
Stop trying to act like a victim and everyone is out to get you.
Where did I do that? I've been saying that people coming from both perspectives can sometimes be pricks, and that they should all knock it off.
Last edited by eabaker on Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:38 pm, edited 4 times in total.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

eabaker wrote:
goji89 wrote:Why you have this desire to be lumped in with these people is beyond me
A couple of pages ago you made one of your points as a direct reply to me, and you seemed to be calling me out as much as you were anyone else.
Stop trying to act like a victim and everyone is out to get you.
Where did I do that? I've been saying that people coming from both perspectives can sometimes be pricks, and that they should all knock it off.
It was a general observation not calling you out specifically but o.k.
eabaker wrote: Seriously. I'm kinda surprised to find out how much of an asshole I apparently am.
Here. When did anyone call you an asshole or insinuated anything like that?

Like I said. Ill just keep to my routine. You want to be like "those" guys its cool it really is. Ill watch movies at surface levels like always do and keep it at that.
Last edited by goji89 on Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

goji89 wrote: Meh.....members coming off as assholes to others for not knowing cinema? Hmm....... No One.
Haven't seen him around, but I'll take your word for it. ;)
goji89 wrote:Stop trying to act like a victim and everyone is out to get you. Yes, there are people like you've stated but they are far and between.
This actually applies to some of your own posts in here. Just saying.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

goji89 wrote:
eabaker wrote: Seriously. I'm kinda surprised to find out how much of an asshole I apparently am.
Okay, apparently I should have included a ;) emoji with that tongue-in-cheek comment...

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Smuggers wrote: This actually applies to some of your own posts in here. Just saying.
Meh, its nothing new. Im the far and betweener. I only recently started that, but yeah....fuck it now. People like assholes o.k..... :lol: .

Added in 5 minutes 51 seconds:
eabaker wrote:
goji89 wrote:
Okay, apparently I should have included a ;) emoji with that tongue-in-cheek comment...
Like I said.....meh. I really don't care anymore.... :lol: .

:huge:

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

Smuggers wrote:Film criticism might not make me cringe, but the shitty CinemaSins-style approach to it sure does.
Godzilla doesn't appear within the first 5 minutes *ding*

Megumi Odaka appears *reverse ding*
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.