The Godzilla Cringe Thread

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
SpaceG92
Keizer

Re: The Godzilla Cringe Thread

Post by SpaceG92 »

Oooooooh-kay.

Let's all please get back to topic please. Though, Ii you all are actually serious about the TK Film. Fan Fiction or Fan Art thread ;) We all need the full cast list posted ASAP.
Last edited by SpaceG92 on Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dawsbfiremind
EDF Instructor

Post by Dawsbfiremind »

SpaceG92 wrote:Though, Ii you all are actually serious about the TK Film. Fan Fiction or Fan Art thread ;)
You got it! The topic's been made! :huge:

On topic: on a re-watching of Shin I suddenly noticed how much the "engrish" bugs me.
goji89 wrote:
Dawsbfiremind wrote:People have asked me how I can want to be a writer
With skills like this......I wonder too.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Holy mother of Bagan we actually are stuck in limbo.
TK drinking game official rules.
https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... 0#p1564587

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

The TriStar heisei dubs make me cringe. There’s like five actors who do all the voices. It’s like playing a Bethesda game, except less charming.
Last edited by KaijuCanuck on Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

KaijuCanuck wrote:The TriStar heisei dubs make me cringe. There’s like five actors who do all the voices. It’s like playing a Bethesda game, except less charming.
that's on Toho, they are the ones that comission those dubs

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Godzillian wrote:
KaijuCanuck wrote:The TriStar heisei dubs make me cringe. There’s like five actors who do all the voices. It’s like playing a Bethesda game, except less charming.
that's on Toho, they are the ones that comission those dubs
Ah sorry, didn’t know that.

The Toho heisei dubs make me cringe. There’s like five actors who do all the voices. It’s like playing a Bethesda game, except less charming.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

My subscribers base in a nutshell. :|

godzillafan1954
EDF Instructor

Post by godzillafan1954 »

Dawsbfiremind wrote:Here, have the cast leak. It's the least I can do.
Spoiler:
Arbok - Antonio Banderas
SpaceG - Willem Dafoe
goji89 - Ice Cube
Underworld- has a cameo, looked kinda like a grumpy Andy Serkis motion capture
Mechagoji - Tom Holland
1990s - Steve Smith
Lain - also looked like Andy Serkis, was portrayed as the most sensitive of the group
Beef Bigshot - Lucy Liu
NSZ - Charlize Theron
Gfan1954 - Samuel Jackson
LC - Bruce Willis
Me - 2d animated version of what appeared to be Uncle Si from Duck Dynasty
TLK - John Cena
Ditto - Celine Dion
I was about to flip my poop when I didn't see my name at first. But I'm good. Let's do this, motherf*ckers.
eabaker wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:31 am
Jetty_Jags wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:11 am I’d consider 2001 baragon to have some pink undertones.
I hear a distant rumbling... What's that?! It's coming from under the ground!

Oh, God! It's Baragon with Pink undertones! Can't you hear its terrifying cry?!

"Baragooooooon's comin' up, so you better get this party started!"

UltimateDitto
EDF Instructor

Post by UltimateDitto »

godzillafan1954 wrote:
Dawsbfiremind wrote:Here, have the cast leak. It's the least I can do.
Spoiler:
Arbok - Antonio Banderas
SpaceG - Willem Dafoe
goji89 - Ice Cube
Underworld- has a cameo, looked kinda like a grumpy Andy Serkis motion capture
Mechagoji - Tom Holland
1990s - Steve Smith
Lain - also looked like Andy Serkis, was portrayed as the most sensitive of the group
Beef Bigshot - Lucy Liu
NSZ - Charlize Theron
Gfan1954 - Samuel Jackson
LC - Bruce Willis
Me - 2d animated version of what appeared to be Uncle Si from Duck Dynasty
TLK - John Cena
Ditto - Celine Dion
I was about to flip my poop when I didn't see my name at first. But I'm good. Let's do this, motherf*ckers.
Good lord, of course John Cena is in this, but where is the Rock!? :lol:
"There's no respect for Legendary Godzilla on this site. None. Bemular? Really?" - Juan, 2019

Tournament stats: 2 wins - 3 losses
I ♡ Image

WeegeeZilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by WeegeeZilla »

Every time Gojipedia (the old location of Wikizilla, back when it used to be on Wikia) claims it's better than Wikizilla, but immediately shoots itself in the foot and makes a decision so stupid it suffers a spontaneous 'aneurysm'.
Some might say that life is a great challenge, and something insurmountably difficult. I say to that, "Bring it on."

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

The way certain fans treat Godzilla's Revenge. I'm sick of seeing adult fans shit all over it. It's a kids movie for God's sake. You're not the demographic. Stop acting like it's a bad film because of that.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Dr. Professor wrote:The way certain fans treat Godzilla's Revenge. I'm sick of seeing adult fans poop all over it. It's a kids movie for God's sake. You're not the demographic. Stop acting like it's a bad film because of that.
Just because a film is made with children in mind, doesn't mean it's free from criticism.

If anything, given the impressionable nature of children, it's doubly important to look into children's films and the messages they may tell.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Dr. Professor wrote:The way certain fans treat Godzilla's Revenge. I'm sick of seeing adult fans shit all over it. It's a kids movie for God's sake. You're not the demographic. Stop acting like it's a bad film because of that.
And what if we saw it as children and noticed it's flaws even then? Because I'm one of those people. I saw it as a child, was bored of the reused footage, thought talking Minilla was awkward and weird, and felt like the whole movie was cringey and bad.

When I got older, I rewatched it and actually could appreciate a little more what they were trying to do within the confines of the times and budget, but it's still an odd misstep in the franchise. I still consider it the worst in the series.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

KingKong2005
EDF Instructor

Post by KingKong2005 »

Maritonic wrote:
Dr. Professor wrote:The way certain fans treat Godzilla's Revenge. I'm sick of seeing adult fans poop all over it. It's a kids movie for God's sake. You're not the demographic. Stop acting like it's a bad film because of that.
And what if we saw it as children and noticed it's flaws even then? Because I'm one of those people. I saw it as a child, was bored of the reused footage, thought talking Minilla was awkward and weird, and felt like the whole movie was cringey and bad.

When I got older, I rewatched it and actually could appreciate a little more what they were trying to do within the confines of the times and budget, but it's still an odd misstep in the franchise. I still consider it the worst in the series.
If you were in Japan at the time and were a kid I feel like you would be praising the movie for having a certain charm to it even though you can still see why people would hate it. It really just comes down to where how and when you grew up to like certain movies. It's like how people are now with the Showa films. I don't know, I mean I don't really care for that film and can see why it gets so much hate, but I can also see why others would like it. I'm neutral here :lol:
Image Image

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

KingKong2005 wrote:
Maritonic wrote:

If you were in Japan at the time and were a kid I feel like you would be praising the movie for having a certain charm to it even though you can still see why people would hate it. It really just comes down to where how and when you grew up to like certain movies. It's like how people are now with the Showa films. I don't know, I mean I don't really care for that film and can see why it gets so much hate, but I can also see why others would like it. I'm neutral here :lol:
This can be said about literally every film ever; people have different tastes and opinions.

Some people like Coke, some like Pepsi. Some people like Metal, some like Rap. I adore the Showa films, but Godzilla's Revenge was a problem with me as a kid because it was obviously recycled footage with a talking Minilla. It felt awkward to me. Granted, I don't tell people they're wrong or stupid for liking it, but I definitely don't understand it personally. But I'll never criticize someone (publicly... ;) ) for their opinion on it, because it's all just personal preferences and tastes.

Plus nostalgia plays such a huge factor; Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah is Top 5 Favorites for me because I have such a HUGE nostalgic love for it and major personal attachment for multiple reasons that span beyond just the film. But I acknowledge it's flaws and realize other's don't feel the same way.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

It's completely ok to dislike the film. I'm not saying you have to like it or that you can't have an opinion on it. That's not what I was getting at. I just feel like so many fans feel the need to hate it because you can't really take it seriously. Maybe it's the teenage fans more than the adult fans. I remember a few years ago I had the mindset that movies like Godzilla's Revenge and Godzilla vs. Megalon were garbage movies because they weren't serious films, and hating Minya because he's goofy and was made to appeal towards children. I think a lot of Godzilla fans (and I'm not saying all of us) go through a point where they're embarrassed of the more lighthearted films, so they distance themselves from them by constantly hating them, like I once did. Unless I'm the only one who went through that and maybe I'm just mad at myself. I don't know. :lol:

Or it could be I'm just annoyed with people shitting on kids' stuff in general and I decided to go off about it here. Like I know this guy who just constantly rags on kids' shows for no reason. Like can't kids have things too? But Idk, I'm sorry for coming off the wrong way, even though I probably still am.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Dr. Professor wrote:It's completely ok to dislike the film. I'm not saying you have to like it or that you can't have an opinion on it. That's not what I was getting at. I just feel like so many fans feel the need to hate it because you can't really take it seriously. Maybe it's the teenage fans more than the adult fans. I remember a few years ago I had the mindset that movies like Godzilla's Revenge and Godzilla vs. Megalon were garbage movies because they weren't serious films, and hating Minya because he's goofy and was made to appeal towards children. I think a lot of Godzilla fans (and I'm not saying all of us) go through a point where they're embarrassed of the more lighthearted films, so they distance themselves from them by constantly hating them, like I once did. Unless I'm the only one who went through that and maybe I'm just mad at myself. I don't know. :lol:

Or it could be I'm just annoyed with people shitting on kids' stuff in general and I decided to go off about it here. Like I know this guy who just constantly rags on kids' shows for no reason. Like can't kids have things too? But Idk, I'm sorry for coming off the wrong way, even though I probably still am.
Oh, no, I get what you're saying. Yeah I think it's the teenage fans, or the fans that only got into Godzilla because of the Legendary film (sorry to be that way...). There's like that gap between kid and "adult" that gets that way.

My problems with both Megalon and Revenge aren't the seriousness, it's the quality of the film. Megalon actually has some hilarious drunk-watching value because of it's lack of seriousness. But I see what you're going for now, 100%.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Dr. Professor wrote:The way certain fans treat Godzilla's Revenge. I'm sick of seeing adult fans shit all over it. It's a kids movie for God's sake. You're not the demographic. Stop acting like it's a bad film because of that.
The Rebirth of Mothra movies were made for children, yet just about everybody and their grandmothers agree they are garbage, with very few defending them. I don't disagree that Revenge/AMA is often shat on unjustly, but it being exempt from criticism simply because it was made for a certain demographic isn't really valid.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

MaxRebo320 wrote:
The Rebirth of Mothra movies were made for children, yet just about everybody and their grandmothers agree they are garbage, with very few defending them. I don't disagree that Revenge/AMA is often shat on unjustly, but it being exempt from criticism simply because it was made for a certain demographic isn't really valid.
Read my other post.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

I've seen people argue on whats the worst fanbase. We might not be the worst fanbase, Sonic or Undertale or FANAF might have worse fans in general, but as far as a specific individual fans go, we had Kim Jong Ill as a huge Godzilla fan to the point he had a filmmaker kidnapped to make a monster movie for him.

Let me repeat we had a dictator as a fan, a guy with the power to order people killed and it will be done if he so chose.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

...so? Hitler apparently treated his dogs well; does that automatically make the dog fandom inferior to the cat fandom? And I realize you're probably not being entirely serious, there, but still...
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio