Favorite Godzilla Movie

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
godzillalives88
Interpol Agent

Re: Favorite Godzilla Movie

Post by godzillalives88 »

eabaker wrote:
SomeknowmeasXeno wrote:Ehh... Raids Again is one of the worst in my opinion, despite introducing Anguirus
I find GRA a terribly uneven movie, but there are a few aspects of it that I really, really dig. I'm a huge Angilas fan, and I love how menacing and animalistic he is in GRA. And there are places where I think the dark, moody atmosphere works extremely well (although there are other places where I feel like they just end up with dead air and murky photography). It's not one I revisit often, but it has enough good moments that I can't entirely dismiss it.
Not to stray off topic, but GRA has a lot of "firsts" and "only's" going for it that I give it credit for (and enjoy). Ie, first time we see Godzilla fight another monster. Only time Godzilla fights another monster in B&W, fights another monster to completion in a city (in the Showa era), is defeated by way of man made avalanche, etc. That and I think it inherits some residual dread from Gojira by being in such close proximity to it, and feeling like they take place in the same universe.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla 1974 is probably my all time favorite, along with GTTHM coming in second and Godzilla vs. Gigan comin in third
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

Mothra vs. Godzilla captures pretty much all the elements I think a "typical" monster movie should have, and executes them with excellence, so it's been my favorite for a while.
Monster Zero, Ebirah, and Son of Godzilla are also films that rarely get old for me.

Darth Kiryu
JXSDF Technician

Post by Darth Kiryu »

Godzilla x Mechagodzilla for me. I love the Godzilla and Kiryu designs, there's good character development for a kaiju movie, and overall I think the movie was really well done.

Variola
JXSDF Technician

Post by Variola »

Fishheads88 wrote:
Pkmatrix wrote:Godzilla vs. Biollante. :)
I wish Biollante would make another appearance.
You and me both. Such an underrated monster.

Mechagigan
Futurian

Post by Mechagigan »

My top ten...

1. GMK
2. ToMG
3. Godzilla Vs Detroyah
4. G84
5. Ghidorah, the Three Headed Monster
6. Godzilla Vs. King Ghidorah
7. King Kong Vs. Godzilla
8. Ebirah, Horror of the Deep
9. Gojira
10. G14

Janjira54
Gotengo Officer

Post by Janjira54 »

Godzilla 2014 is my all time favorite

Dannybeane
Monsterland Worker

Post by Dannybeane »

Ghidrah, G2k, GvsKG, Godzilla vs Gigan and Gvs Biollante are all up there.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

I'm also a sucker for KKvG, SoG, and Megalon, they're all fun movies
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

eabaker wrote:
SomeknowmeasXeno wrote:Ehh... Raids Again is one of the worst in my opinion, despite introducing Anguirus
I find GRA a terribly uneven movie, but there are a few aspects of it that I really, really dig. I'm a huge Angilas fan, and I love how menacing and animalistic he is in GRA. And there are places where I think the dark, moody atmosphere works extremely well (although there are other places where I feel like they just end up with dead air and murky photography). It's not one I revisit often, but it has enough good moments that I can't entirely dismiss it.
I give GRA huge props for being just about the only kaiju/giant monster movie done almost exclusively from the POV of regular working people. There are others who dip their toes into it (Rodan, Hedorah) but not to the extent that GRA did.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

BlacktimusPrime
Monarch Researcher

Post by BlacktimusPrime »

My favorite is absolutely g14. My expectations were high going in and it surpassed them. Runner-up goes to g2000. I suspect part of the reason I like these two so much is that I feel that they largely distill the entire franchise into one film. Most other movies of the franchise I feel only capture a piece of what this franchise is about.
Coobzilla03 wrote:
goji89 wrote:Godzilla in general sucks. Just awful. I mean a man in a suit knocking down papercraft buildings?

Turn me into a twix and give me a break.

Mutated animals that are huge that fight each other.
Here goji, have a Snickers. You're not you when you're hungry.

Fishheads88
Yojimbo

Post by Fishheads88 »

Janjira54 wrote:Godzilla 2014 is my all time favorite
I love that one too. I like his roar.

Showa Gojira
Monarch Researcher

Post by Showa Gojira »

I don't think I could pick just one! :D

Hell I don't even know if I could narrow it down to a top 10 easily without missing a few, I love them all! Really the only Godzilla movies that aren't among my absolute favorites are:

Godzilla Raids Again: The uneven pacing and only ok characters knock it down a notch. I do like the fight between Godzilla and Anguirus and the overall atmosphere of the movie though. The more I think about the more I think I'm being too harsh on it, might change my mind after I watch it again.

Godzilla vs Hedorah: A little too trippy for my tastes though it certainly has it's moments.

Godzilla vs Megalon: The final fight is awesome but it can't make up for the rest of the movie.

Godzilla vs Mothra (Heisei): Meh characters, so so plot, and Godzilla plays second fiddle to Mothra and Battra. Still love Godzilla emerging from the volcano though!

Godzilla vs Spacegodzilla: It's like the Heisei version of Godzilla vs Megalon. Except it's slightly better overall with a cooler main villain, but a less good final fight.

Offhand I would say Gojira, Ghidorah the Three Headed Monster, Son of Godzilla, and Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla are my favorites. But that's leaving out Terror of Mechagodzilla, Godzilla vs the Sea Monster, Godzilla vs Destroyah, GMK, and Godzilla against Mechagodzila, and so many others!
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:40 pm
Best kaiju game ever. Like, seriously, awesome to play and full of cool little nods to the films that make it up. Ten out of ten. Worth waiting for.

"GODZILLA - ULTRAMAN - GAMERA: ALL MONSTERS ATTACK!"
http://kaijubeatemup.blogspot.com/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6vZKr ... XgWG0hADNA
The Thread: http://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewto ... =19&t=5609

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Showa Gojira wrote:I don't think I could pick just one! :D

Hell I don't even know if I could narrow it down to a top 10 easily without missing a few, I love them all!
I've found that the older I get, the less invested I am in ranking things and declaring favorites.

Really, what does a 1:1 comparison of, for example, King Kong vs. Godzilla and Terror of Mechagodzilla even consist of? The two movies have totally different tones, themes, and narrative goals.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Showa Gojira
Monarch Researcher

Post by Showa Gojira »

eabaker wrote:
Showa Gojira wrote:I don't think I could pick just one! :D

Hell I don't even know if I could narrow it down to a top 10 easily without missing a few, I love them all!
I've found that the older I get, the less invested I am in ranking things and declaring favorites.

Really, what does a 1:1 comparison of, for example, King Kong vs. Godzilla and Terror of Mechagodzilla even consist of? The two movies have totally different tones, themes, and narrative goals.
Pretty much! I tried making a top 100 movie list and even then I haven't narrowed it down yet. Maybe picking favorites from genres or decades would be easier...

I like Terror of Mechagodzilla loads more than the dub, but if it's the Japanese version of Godzilla vs King Kong it gets way closer. I think I would pick Terror of Mechagodzilla if only because it has probably my favorite depiction of Godzilla and because I like Mechagodzilla and Titanosaurus more than Kong. But depending on my mood I might want to watch Godzilla vs King Kong instead because it's such a fun movie whereas Terror is on the darker side of things, they both have their strengths and weaknesses.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:40 pm
Best kaiju game ever. Like, seriously, awesome to play and full of cool little nods to the films that make it up. Ten out of ten. Worth waiting for.

"GODZILLA - ULTRAMAN - GAMERA: ALL MONSTERS ATTACK!"
http://kaijubeatemup.blogspot.com/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6vZKr ... XgWG0hADNA
The Thread: http://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewto ... =19&t=5609

Rodan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Rodan »

I feel like this thread has existed before, but I'm always down for it.

My favorite is the original by a wiiiide margin. I think it's a damn near perfect film. Beyond that, though, I can offer a list, in no particular order other than production, of other Godzilla films I hold enormous affection for:

King Kong vs. Godzilla
Mothra vs. Godzilla
Son of Godzilla
Godzilla vs. Hedorah
Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla
Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah
Godzilla 2000

They all form a loose list of favorites together. They're the entries in the series I always enjoy and would be happy to recommend to others for various reasons.
eabaker wrote:Huh, that's interesting. I don't feel like G54 is a polemical movie to the point that you have to think about its social/political aspects while watching it in order to appreciate/understand it. As much as I love those aspects of the movie, I've always found that it works perfectly well as escapist entertainment, as well.
Huh. I honestly can't imagine watching the original without it leaping into your mind that it was released less than a decade after the Hiroshima bombing. It certainly could work as a monster movie in a vacuum, but the social parallels are so accessible and make it so much better, that I can't really fathom viewing it that way.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Is.....Is it wrong that Godzilla vs. SpaceGodzilla is my favorite?

*Cues flame shield*

Rodan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Rodan »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:Is.....Is it wrong that Godzilla vs. SpaceGodzilla is my favorite?

*Cues flame shield*
That's certainly a selection of questionable taste?

Jatahaxe
Interpol Agent

Post by Jatahaxe »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:Is.....Is it wrong that Godzilla vs. SpaceGodzilla is my favorite?

*Cues flame shield*
I must confess that was my favorite too at one early point in my life. Not even just my favorite Godzilla movie, but my favorite movie period
Monsters are the real people.

M.o.g.u.e.r.a14
EDF Instructor

Post by M.o.g.u.e.r.a14 »

Godzilla 2014.
Fan of Godzilla, Pacific Rim, Sailor Moon, and Transformers.
Dezerb wrote: buenos ding dong didily dias senor.
http://i.imgur.com/PpE0DEQ.gif

Moguera14 X Sailor Moon