Maser Cannon 50th Anniversary

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
BlankAccount
Sazer

Maser Cannon 50th Anniversary

Post by BlankAccount »

Hey I figure we'd make a topic celebrating the 50th Anniversary of Toho's iconic glass cannons, the Masers. Their...birthday(?) is on July 31st. And I say glass cannon for a reason. Introduced in 1966's War of the Gargantuas, they were one of the first and few weapons in the kaiju genera to actually harm monsters. But while they can dish out damage, they were frail so they couldn't take it. Hence Glass Cannon.

Like Rodan, Mothra and Manda before them, their first appearance was not even in a Godzilla film but once introduced to the series they became permanent residences of it, appearing in Godzilla films from the Showa, Heise and Millennium era, and staring in 11 films, not counting the cut scenes in Godzilla vs Spacegodzilla, an amusement park attraction (Monster Planet of Godzilla) and the TV show The Gransazers, they have appeared in enough media to rival Mothra, Toho's most well known creation after Godzilla.

Often dismissed and overlooked as just canon folder by fans, the Masers are not given enough credit. They almost killed Giara and later helped the injured Sanda drive his brother out to the ocean where a volcanic eruption ended the man eating green ape-man's rampage. They slowed down Gigan and Megalon's attacks on cites, the two hiding behind trees for cover. They even managed to make King Ghiddorah flinch but sadly the creatures immediate response to such assault is to retaliate with his Gravity Rays.

In the Heise era the MBT-92, along with the M6000 T.C. System and Biollante's acid spray helped raise Godzilla's temperature so A.N.E.B. could stop him. The MBT-92 even making Godzilla back-peddle at times though this was before the power up he got in Godzilla vs King Ghidorah. Battra's Larval form ignored jets firing at him but once the Masers started firing at him he retaliated and dug underground. Later flying variation called ASTOL-MB93 would fight Godzilla and while ultimately failing, they did harm the Monster King and would serve as inspiration for the Garuda. The Masers would be upgraded into Freezer Masers called DAG-MB96. Also armed with Freezer missiles, they lost their first fight against Destoroyah but later acted as support fire for the Super-X 3 in killing the weakened monster and preventing Godzilla's meltdown from destroying the planet.

Though Maser tanks and planes were cut from Godzilla vs Spacegodzilla due to time constraint, they did show up in one form or another, as the Plasma Maser Cannon would be built in the much more durable Moguera. Because of the larger size of the machine as opposed to the tanks or trucks with platforms, the larger generator meant more power, knocking Godzilla down when it grazed him and making the more powerful Spacegodzilla scream in pain and anger when it took the full brunt of the blast. However, like past masers it was still a frail glass cannon. When not in use it was protected by the insanely durable armor of the mech but once in use, it was exposed and vulnerable to be destroyed as was the case when Spacegodzilla's tail impaled it.

The Star Falcon was also given Dual Maser Vulcan Cannons which distracted Spacegodzilla from protecting his tower against both Land Moguera and Godzilla's assault.

This tactics of making bigger and stronger versions the powerful but frail weapons and putting them on heavily armored mechs for protection would be repeated with the Kiryu films. At first it seemed Godzilla was immune to maser damage in his first encounter he didn't react till he got hit in the eye, but later on in the Kiryu films, when he encountered more Masers, it became clear that, without the interference of rain, long sustained fire from Masers did in fact hurt the monster, with Godzilla even trying to block the attack with his hand. But as before, the Masers would be destroyed long before they would be allowed to keep barraging the monster king into retreat or death.

Once again Masers were put into a durable mech to give them some protection, Kiryu had two Type 90 Masers in it mouth, only vulnerable when firing or when it roared, they were safe most of the time by the armored mouth being closed. When fired for a sustained amount of time Godzilla at first seemed unaffected but once he started bending towards the side, it became clear the creature had a hard time moving, resorting to using his Atomic Breath to make Kiryu stop firing. Later when Kiryu's Absolute Zero Cannon was destroyed, what did they replace it with? A triple Hyper Maser Cannon, the second most powerful weapon they had for it. After being gravely injured by Kiryu's drill hand, the combined might of 5 masers, the two in the mouth and the 3 in the chest, made Godzilla fall before Kiryu, at his mercy.

For Godzilla's 50th Anniversary, they showed up in Godzilla: Final Wars at the beginning. Sadly they were already destroyed by the time we saw them and no more showed up afterwards. At least they remembered they are a part of Toho's film history.

Overall the Masers are actually a pretty dangerous threat to monsters. If given enough numbers they could force a monster like Godzilla into retreat or even killing him. Their biggest flaw is that they are pretty much destroyed in one hit. The idea of putting them on Mechs is a cool one, as I like the idea of them having powerful weapons they hesitate to use that can be destroyed easily unless they are sure they have an opening. I wouldn't mind getting another Godzilla game where we play the military again and the Masers are some of the better weapons you can unlock.

Like Mothra, they have been in a LOT of films. I hope to see them show up again in some shape or form in the Legendary Series and Toho's reboot series. And maybe now you see them as the glass canons they really are and not just punny canon folder they seem to be at first glance.

Thanks for reading.
Last edited by BlankAccount on Sat May 20, 2017 4:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Re: Maser Cannon 50th Anniversary

Post by Ivo-goji »

Happy Birthday Maser Cannon.

Trying to think of all the other media where Masers have cameo'd...

Early Gainax Studio short animation Diacon IV featured a Maser tank amidst a cavalcade of other daikaiju and science fiction icons in its explosive chase sequence.

An episode of Pokemon Best Wishes, An Epic Defense Force, features shout outs to countless daikaiju films, including a Mecha Tyranitar that looks an awful lot like Kiryu, island twins rather evocative of the Shobijin, a giant Golurk that reminds one of Daimajin, and finally an honest to God Maser tank that could not be mistaken for anything else.

Star Wars Attack of the Clones, blink and you'll miss it, features a weapon that looks suspiciously like a Maser Cannon in the Battle of Geonosis. Hard to tell if this one is intentional though.

I'm sure I've seen it other places too...
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Ivo-goji wrote: Star Wars Attack of the Clones, blink and you'll miss it, features a weapon that looks suspiciously like a Maser Cannon in the Battle of Geonosis. Hard to tell if this one is intentional though.
Well, they use the exact same weapon against a honest-to-god kaiju in the Clone Wars episode that was a homage to Godzilla films. So it might be somewhat intentional.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

One of the most iconic weapons of the franchise. I'd love to see them return someday, hopefully with a power upgrade that lets them actually pose a threat to kaiju again.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

JAGzilla wrote:One of the most iconic weapons of the franchise. I'd love to see them return someday, hopefully with a power upgrade that lets them actually pose a threat to kaiju again.
Yeah, not including the super powered versions that are built in giant robots, the Masers haven't been badass since DAG-MB96s in Godzilla vs Detoroyah, and they hadn't had a "personality" or been as important to the plot, as in seen as another worthy enemy like Super-X, since War of the Gargantuas

I think Masers work best as a support fire group, like how the DAG-MB96's helped Super-X 3 and the Type 90 Masers would distract Godzilla every time Kiryu needed to be repaired. It makes sense, they have the fire power, they just don't have the durability, so they can help support the more powerful weapons.

Missingno.
G-Grasper

Post by Missingno. »

I mean technically speaking, one could argue the maser cannons are already 59, due to the Markalite cannons, or 55 if you consider the mobile Atomic Heat Ray Guns as true precursors.
TK's resident other 1980's fan who longs for that decade's return, and severe weather fanatic.
LSD Jellyfish wrote:WOW WHAT HONOL. SO KOOR, VERY JOUZU KAWAII SOU DESU NE. AHHHH OKII CHINKO DESU KA. MMMMM CHICHI, WATSHI NO MANKO NI CHINKO O IKYUUUUUUUU
NEVER FORGET:
8-8-2015
R.I.P. Games forum
Resized ImageResized Image
The 80's----The weather!

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Missingno. wrote:I mean technically speaking, one could argue the maser cannons are already 59, due to the Markalite cannons, or 55 if you consider the mobile Atomic Heat Ray Guns as true precursors.
Maybe? The JSDF almost killed Godzilla and Hedorah with non-maser weapons, the lightning towers and the giant electro generators, respectfully. But then you have the A-Cycle Light Rays...my head is hurting. Let's just call the weapons you mentioned ancestors. :lol:

Funny thing about Heise series, with Godzilla powering up repeatiidly, it could almost be seen as an arms race with monsters, like how Jagers and Kaiju just got tougher and tougher in the Pacific Rim worlds.

Missingno.
G-Grasper

Post by Missingno. »

Oh yeah, the Artificial Lightning Generators! I loved those things.

The giant electrodes from Godzilla vs. Hedorah came after the first 'true' maser cannons appeared in 1966 (the former appearing in 1971).
TK's resident other 1980's fan who longs for that decade's return, and severe weather fanatic.
LSD Jellyfish wrote:WOW WHAT HONOL. SO KOOR, VERY JOUZU KAWAII SOU DESU NE. AHHHH OKII CHINKO DESU KA. MMMMM CHICHI, WATSHI NO MANKO NI CHINKO O IKYUUUUUUUU
NEVER FORGET:
8-8-2015
R.I.P. Games forum
Resized ImageResized Image
The 80's----The weather!

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

I love these weapons. Very original and just plain fun. Even if they are just fodder for some kaiju they are the best weapon humanity has. I even wondered if having these weapons at Japans disposal create tensions with the rest of the world. Like talks with the U.N and them signing treaties that if war should break out these would be against it. I don't know my mind goes toward real life ramifications instantly.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

goji89 wrote:I love these weapons. Very original and just plain fun. Even if they are just fodder for some kaiju they are the best weapon humanity has. I even wondered if having these weapons at Japans disposal create tensions with the rest of the world. Like talks with the U.N and them signing treaties that if war should break out these would be against it. I don't know my mind goes toward real life ramifications instantly.
Well, politics are a part of the series. Remember how Godzilla almost turned the Cold War into World War 3? And Japan refused to let the Soviet Union or the U.S. use nukes? And in the Kiryu films the Prime Minster was asked by reporters how she was gonna deal with countries that saw Kiryu as a WMD. I imagine most of the anti-kaiju weapons are funded not just by Japan but other countries as well, kaiju would be a threat to the whole world, not just Japan, as proven with DAM and Burning Godzilla attacking China.

The rest of the world see's what Japan goes through, and doesn't want it anymore than Japan. Hell some of them even get a taste of the disasters themselves once in a while. Which just floors me on the Super-X and the laser trucks. Those were made for war, not Godzilla and yet the Super-X took hits like any monster. That's maddening. Fighting that in war with normal weapons is just not fair.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Imagine though that by some miracle Kaijus stop being a threat and the world fights using these things. Chaos and madness for sure. I'd watch a movie centered around this concept like a little side story before another Godzilla attack.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I wonder if they will eventually show up in the Legendary continuity. Maybe by Godzilla Vs Kong in 2020.

Rodan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Rodan »

I'm going to be real here: I hate Masers.

I know they somewhat fit the goofy '60s super-science aesthetic they originally accompanied (though they never showed up in a Showa Godzilla film proper), but what they engendered in the later films -- a kind of expectation that playful super-weapons be present -- really doesn't sit well with me. And, frankly, I don't think they were ever needed in the Showa era. Even at its most fantastic you still had things a little more down-to-Earth like the use of white noise in Astro-Monster and electrical grids in vs. Hedorah. They were fine as a one-off in Sanda vs. Gaira.

But when you have the popping back up as homage imagery in the '90s and 2000s films (whether or not they're called that) -- ugh. I really, really hate super-weapons in these movies. Yes, there was a super-weapon in the very first Godzilla film ever, but it wasn't there to receive positive attention or to entertain -- it was as bleak and heightened a metaphor for nuclear proliferation as Godzilla himself.

So trotting out the next laser or Super-X or black-hole gun has never felt right to me, especially if the script doesn't examine their ramifications (and they never do). The Masers are f*cking dumb. I'd be happy never to see them again.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

They're the iconic weapons of the Godzilla series, and the masers provided both a plausible weapon for fighting kaiju and a visual treat. If we do get them in future films, and I would like to see that, then maybe they can beef them up where they can take a licking for a short time.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Haven't Masers popped up in the Ultra Series from time to time? I'm almost positive they were at least used in the original series on occasion.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Showa Gojira
Monarch Researcher

Post by Showa Gojira »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Haven't Masers popped up in the Ultra Series from time to time? I'm almost positive they were at least used in the original series on occasion.
Watching through the original series again right now, haven't seen any yet. I've always thought the Maser Cannons where pretty cool anti monster weapons. They have a memorable design and work well against less durable Daikaiju, just not powerhouses like Godzilla or King Ghidorah. I thought it was cool seeing them again in the Kiryu films, as well as Half Century War. They also make an appearance in the first King of the Monsters game.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:40 pm
Best kaiju game ever. Like, seriously, awesome to play and full of cool little nods to the films that make it up. Ten out of ten. Worth waiting for.

"GODZILLA - ULTRAMAN - GAMERA: ALL MONSTERS ATTACK!"
http://kaijubeatemup.blogspot.com/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6vZKr ... XgWG0hADNA
The Thread: http://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewto ... =19&t=5609

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Just realized, the Trip Wire Cannons are also turning 50 since their first, and so far only, movie was the same as the Masers first.

http://www.tohokingdom.com/aliens_sdf/t ... nnons.html

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

So anyone got a favorite? Personally I'd like to see the ASTOL-MB93 brought back in more films.

http://www.tohokingdom.com/aliens_sdf/astol-mb93.htm

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I prefer the MBAW-93. I like the twin cannon aproach to the maser.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Fun Fact: There is an official Maser Cannon Transformer!

This is Signal Flare, who is intended to homage the Maser Cannon in his alternate mode. His Decepticon counterpart, Cruellock, resembles Godzilla 1998, so hooray for kaiju references in Western media!