Godzilla Misconceptions You Like To Clear Up

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Goji_Boy
Ronin

Re: Godzilla Misconceptions You Like To Clear Up

Post by Goji_Boy »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frilled_shark

Known as a "living fossil"? Has "extremely flexible jaws"?

We got a match boys!
Goji Boy uploads a movie review twice a month!

Kaeyas
GPN Volunteer

Post by Kaeyas »

As stated in multiple previous posts, the fact that some people believe Godzilla to be female. And moreover(and this one is the most common one) that the Godzilla in "Raids Again" aka "Gigantis" is a female monster. I argued with a girl for over 20 minutes during recess once when I was in the 2nd or 3rd grade. Helping to fuel this misconception was a series of children's books titled "Now You Can Read About Monsters!" (Or something similar to that name) that I checked out many times from the library sometime in the mid 80's when I was a child. One of the books in the series was specifically about Godzilla. ( It had been written sometime in the 70's so it only covered Showa movies as far as G vs. Mecha G. It did not cover the last Showa movie, TTOMG. Nor did it cover ROG, or any of the Heisei films.) It only referred to the Godzilla in "Godzilla Raids Again " as "Gigantis" and erroneously referred to him as the "she-monster". Oh, but the errors didn't stop there, no sir they did not. They also claimed that Hedorah's goal in "Godzilla VS. The Smog Monster" (besides consuming pollution, killing people, and poisioning the planet)was to "eat" Godzilla. Let me repeat that. EAT GODZILLA! (what the skreeonkity skreeonking skreeonk?! Really?!) And the oldest misconception of them all that Godzilla surfaced instead of Kong at the end of Kong VS. Godzilla in the Japanese version. Moving right along, Anguirus was referred to as Aguilla (without the "N")or Anzilla (again, what the skreeonk?!) I remember him being referred to as Anguilla way back when but never Anzilla. This uninformed/lazy author NEVER referred to him once as Anguirus. She also called the two Anguirus' "The Lesser Beasts".
Besides those, I hate that many articles written about Godzilla and his enemies/allies refer to Biollante as a male monster. Especially the toy line Trendmasters. They also erroneously stated on the back of a trading card (which was included with the Biollante action figure) that "he" wanted to destroy Japan and begged the question "could Godzilla stop him?" Eluding that Biollante was not only a male, but also a malevolent kaiju. Trendmasters made MANY similar mistakes that I could list here along with many other misconceptions from varying sources; However, I don't want this post to become more of a novel than it already is. Oh and one last thing...I also can't stand the fact that many people think Godzilla is just a GREEN mutated lizard. SMH most of these poor fools obviously don't have a clue about Godzilla, Godzilla films or the Toho Universe in general.
Dedicated To Darkness..

Saansilt
Futurian

Post by Saansilt »

"It's GO-GEE-RAH"
That is all.
Gawdziller wrote:I fully endorse this comment.
Chris55 wrote: Anyone else hear Groundskeeper Willie when they read that?
My One Shot, "That Which was Before":
http://tohokingdom.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=22367

GODZILLA LIKE YOU'VE NEVER SEEN HIM BEFORE!
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=25688

Great Hierophant
Interpol Agent

Post by Great Hierophant »

Kaeyas wrote:As stated in multiple previous posts, the fact that some people believe Godzilla to be female. And moreover(and this one is the most common one) that the Godzilla in "Raids Again" aka "Gigantis" is a female monster. I argued with a girl for over 20 minutes during recess once when I was in the 2nd or 3rd grade. Helping to fuel this misconception was a series of children's books titled "Now You Can Read About Monsters!" (Or something similar to that name) that I checked out many times from the library sometime in the mid 80's when I was a child. One of the books in the series was specifically about Godzilla. ( It had been written sometime in the 70's so it only covered Showa movies as far as G vs. Mecha G. It did not cover the last Showa movie, TTOMG. Nor did it cover ROG, or any of the Heisei films.) It only referred to the Godzilla in "Godzilla Raids Again " as "Gigantis" and erroneously referred to him as the "she-monster". Oh, but the errors didn't stop there, no sir they did not. They also claimed that Hedorah's goal in "Godzilla VS. The Smog Monster" (besides consuming pollution, killing people, and poisioning the planet)was to "eat" Godzilla. Let me repeat that. EAT GODZILLA! (what the skreeonkity skreeonking skreeonk?! Really?!) And the oldest misconception of them all that Godzilla surfaced instead of Kong at the end of Kong VS. Godzilla in the Japanese version. Moving right along, Anguirus was referred to as Aguilla (without the "N")or Anzilla (again, what the skreeonk?!) I remember him being referred to as Anguilla way back when but never Anzilla. This uninformed/lazy author NEVER referred to him once as Anguirus. She also called the two Anguirus' "The Lesser Beasts".
Besides those, I hate that many articles written about Godzilla and his enemies/allies refer to Biollante as a male monster. Especially the toy line Trendmasters. They also erroneously stated on the back of a trading card (which was included with the Biollante action figure) that "he" wanted to destroy Japan and begged the question "could Godzilla stop him?" Eluding that Biollante was not only a male, but also a malevolent kaiju. Trendmasters made MANY similar mistakes that I could list here along with many other misconceptions from varying sources; However, I don't want this post to become more of a novel than it already is. Oh and one last thing...I also can't stand the fact that many people think Godzilla is just a GREEN mutated lizard. SMH most of these poor fools obviously don't have a clue about Godzilla, Godzilla films or the Toho Universe in general.
That book is the Crestwood House Monsters series by Ian Thorne
http://www.tohokingdom.com/books/godzilla_thorne.html

I once wrote a blog entry identifying every inaccuracy in the book I could find, but it may have been lost due to the ravages of time.

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

According to Toho, Godzilla's always had gills.
Imagine getting angry your out of date and obsolete stats for rubber suit monsters were 'stolen'.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Toho really doesn't hate Gamera seeing him as this rip-off/knock-off of Godzilla, according to LivingCorpse, they rejected Daei's offer to do a crossover due to the Godzilla movies starting to fail in the Box Office at that point. That and Toho nowadays are run by different people who would probably at the chance might more willingly do a crossover in the future perhaps.

After all it does make sense as they had this live show of Godzilla and Gamera back in the 70's, then there is Gamera appearing in City Shrouded in Shadow with too will also be featuring Godzilla despite not interacting.

Cybermat47
Interpol Agent

Post by Cybermat47 »

Goji_Boy wrote:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frilled_shark

Known as a "living fossil"? Has "extremely flexible jaws"?

We got a match boys!
And it lives in the Pacific. However, given that Shin Godzilla's original species is only referred to as "an ancient species of marine life", and other scientific information given on the page you linked, I would say that Shin Godzilla was originally an undiscovered, more primitive species, related to the Frilled Shark.

BlueGojira
Monarch Researcher

Post by BlueGojira »

That whole Godzilla vs. The Devil thing. It's kind of obscure now, though.
SoleMan wrote: I feel like with his passing, it finally lays the era of Godzilla to rest. No more are there guys in rubber suits, no more are there fun, silly, kid-friendly Godzillas, no more are the days when you could make out in the back row with your sweetheart and your kid brother could be in the front, eyes glued to the screen. Instead we're left with the gritty, cold world of Hollywood and apocalyptic visions of nightmare creatures.

Kinggoji1962
Monarch Researcher

Post by Kinggoji1962 »

It's destoroyah not destroyah!

RandomDeinonychus
JXSDF Technician

Post by RandomDeinonychus »

Kaeyas wrote:It only referred to the Godzilla in "Godzilla Raids Again " as "Gigantis" and erroneously referred to him as the "she-monster".
I've always wondered where the book got that from, and then I learned that the unused script for "The Volcano Monsters" involved the Tyrannosaurus (Godzilla) being a female that was headed to the Arctic to lay her eggs. How the author of the Thorne book could have learned that but not known that "Gigantis" was just the English name of the second Godzilla film (because the American distributor thought an original movie would sell better than a sequel) is beyond me, though.

Then again, it's not like it would have been easy for the author (I think it was a woman under a male pseudonym, actually) to rewatch the films and check since home video wasn't even a thing yet.
This uninformed/lazy author NEVER referred to him once as Anguirus
You're actually laboring under the misconception that she would have even known to. I'm pretty sure Toho didn't standardize official English Romanizations of the kaiju names beyond Godzilla until at least the 1990s. Anguirus was called "Angorus" or "Angilas" in different dubs, and even Rodan sometimes wasn't standardized. Remember how, in Terror of Mechagodzilla's dub the actress playing Katsura calls him by the Japanese spelling of Radon and calls him "mighty Raiden"?

I can definitely give the author a pass on that sort of mistake.

[And for the record, while I use it because it's easiest to go by official spellings, I hate "Anguirus." He's based on an Ankylosaurus, so calling him 'Angilas" or "Anguilus" just makes way more sense]

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Godzilla is not one of a kind. I have a guy trying to argue with me that Godzilla is one of a kind.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Well, to be fair, Godzilla's kind of one of a kind, as each one (except maybe Legendary) is uniquely mutated from its original, more-numerous species (even 1954 and Showa seemed to turn out a little differently). And generally, it is assumed that they are each the last member of their species, non withstanding Heisei- whose child was a separate species, a Godzillasaurus, though eventually he mutated to a near-identical form of Godzilla's new 'species'- and Minilla, who also appeared to be some form of precursor species or alternate-mutation from the original stock..
'cuz it sure as heck didn't look like Godzilla. ;)

So in a way, each Godzilla is a unique subspecies, or the final member of the species, and even when there is a second member of the species, they rarely take the exact same form. So generally, Godzilla being one of a kind in that sense is not an inaccurate sentiment.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Zarm wrote:Well, to be fair, Godzilla's kind of one of a kind, as each one (except maybe Legendary) is uniquely mutated from its original, more-numerous species (even 1954 and Showa seemed to turn out a little differently). And generally, it is assumed that they are each the last member of their species, non withstanding Heisei- whose child was a separate species, a Godzillasaurus, though eventually he mutated to a near-identical form of Godzilla's new 'species'- and Minilla, who also appeared to be some form of precursor species or alternate-mutation from the original stock..
'cuz it sure as heck didn't look like Godzilla. ;)

So in a way, each Godzilla is a unique subspecies, or the final member of the species, and even when there is a second member of the species, they rarely take the exact same form. So generally, Godzilla being one of a kind in that sense is not an inaccurate sentiment.
Rare/last of your kind =/= one of a kind. And individuals having different spikes, skin color or breath nature doesn't make them one of a kind either, it's like how we humans have different eye, hair and skin colors between individuals. And Minilla is a baby, don't expect it to look like an adult. You can still see signs of tiny bumps on it's back which might become spikes as it grows. Speaking of Minilla, he had to come from somewhere. Every time Godzilla dies a new one takes it's place. Gojira implies he was part of a surviving reproducing colony and there even concept art for a group of them resting at the bottom of the ocean before being disturbed by atomic tests.

Dr. Yamane even said he couldn't believe Godzilla was the only member of his species still alive and he was right.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

I mean, all together there's
54, and 55
G84 and the Godzillasaurus that became Godzilla and went on till the meltdown, then there's the Godzilla junior became
Then there's 03
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Assuming by 'last of your kind does not equal one-of-a-kind,' you mean unique in all of history, rather than unique in current existence (which is how I was defining it initially; my bad for missunderstanding), Shin, 99/2000, and GMK Godzilla do still appear to be one-of-a-kind in their universes.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

The Showa era is one long series that share a running continuity between all the movies.

The continuity between films are so lose it is barely there. Many are not connected at all, and the few that are just borrow a daikaiju. Look at “Ghidorah the Three Headed Monster” and “Invasion of the Astro Monster” they are directly related but they don’t even bother to bring up Mothra, the one that actually got Godzilla and Rodan to stop fighting. At least in GTTHM they bothered to mention why their is only one Mothra larva around, after the events of "Mothra Vs. Godzilla".

Destroy All Monsters is the finale of the golden era of Toho sci-fi-fi and kaiju eiga, just because it takes place in 1999 doesn’t mean it should be watched after all the champion festival films. Godzilla’s Revenge is definitely it’s own continuity with all the kaiju stuff happening in the kids imagination. The rest of the 70’s film follow a lose continuity where Godzilla is more of a Superhero, far removed from the 60’s era view and continuity.

It is not at all like the continuity in the Heisei series, which form a more coherent timeline of events. Even though the damage caused in each film seems to be completely repaired by the time the next one starts.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

szmigiel wrote:The Showa era is one long series that share a running continuity between all the movies. The continuity between films are so lose it is barely there. Many are not connected at all, and the few that are just borrow a daikaiju.
I'm honestly sort of tired of hearing the Showa series as having loose/no continuity. Sure, there are some irreconcilabilities here and there (as with every long-running film series from the time), but never have I watched an entry wile thinking of another and simply thought "That just couldn't have happened". Just because most of the films don't directly follow each other doesn't mean "loose continuity". Yeah, Godzilla's personality changes, but wouldn't that just be seen as evolution of the character?
szmigiel wrote: Look at “Ghidorah the Three Headed Monster” and “Invasion of the Astro Monster” they are directly related but they don’t even bother to bring up Mothra, the one that actually got Godzilla and Rodan to stop fighting. At least in GTTHM they bothered to mention why their is only one Mothra larva around, after the events of "Mothra Vs. Godzilla".
So what? Just because she isn't directly mentioned doesn't mean it didn't happen. Hell, since she's in imago form the next time we see her, maybe her absence can be explained as her being in her cocoon.

Now if one is to consider some of Toho's other Kaiju as being in-continuity with the Showa Godzilla series, then yeah, continuity is a lot looser. But in terms of just the Godzilla movies, I've never been overly frustrated with how things work.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

^ I couldn't agree more
Godzilla going from baddie to good guy makes since, Mothra convinced him & Rodan to fight to protect the Earth, so why wouldn't he continue to do so after Mothra opened his eyes.
Astro Monster returned Godzilla into the city smasher, only because he was under control by aliens.

Everything makes since if you look at like one big story- Godzilla gets entombed in ice in 1955, gets freed in 1962, gets launched into the sea, eventually swept under debris during a typhoon in 1964, gets launched in the sea again, returns in 1964 only to get launched back into the sea again, then abducted in 1965, launched back into the sea, only to swim to an island in 1966, eventually forced to find a new island home in 1967, and it just goes on from there...
Last edited by Lain Of The Wired on Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

So lose that there are no reoccurring human characters, actors yes, but always playing new roles. There is also usually some significant changes from movie to movie. Trapped in an ice avalanche on an island in a valley at the end of GRA, but floating in an iceberg at the beginning of KKvsG, The omission of Mothra, Godzilla in a lake, and Rodan in a mountain in GvsMZ, Adult Mothra in GvsSM, then back to Larva Mothra for DAM. There is no way anyone can tie Godzilla's Revenge into continuity. You can say that the movies have a lose connection but the further they go the more they loose continuity with the older movies. GvsG there is a Monsterland even though that was suppose to be in the future, they also have maser cannons from WotG which have never appeared before in a Godzilla film. Then in GvMG there is this http://imgur.com/a/bBjXL People would of never guessed that Godzilla would destroy the world? Then in ToMG they completely edit out King Caeser from the opening battle and never mention him at all.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Sounds to me like you just have trouble understanding...
* Most things dont need hardcore explanations, like Godzilla being in a lake, or Rodan being in a mountainside, because that would be --------. Why not? They're strong independent daikaiju, they can go and sleep wherever they want.
* MonsterLand is in the future, not Monster Island, they're two separate things, thats why they have different names.
* And yeah, at that point, Godzilla was a bonafied superhero, not an anti-hero like from 1964-1967, so yeah, I'd say it WOULD be a bit odd for Godzilla, "Champion and Defender of the Earth" to all of a sudden start destroying again.
* Also, who cares if King Caesar is mentioned or not? He didn't do anything that would warrant mentioning, especially since that was all the way over on Okinawa...

Not everything has to be spelled out to us like some Special Ed class, yah know...
Last edited by Lain Of The Wired on Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.