Godzilla Misconceptions You Like To Clear Up

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
HedorahIsBestGirl
Yojimbo

Re: Godzilla Misconceptions You Like To Clear Up

Postby HedorahIsBestGirl » Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:47 am

I've met an alarming number of people who think that Godzilla is the only monster in his own series. Apparently some people think that one radioactive reptile destroying cities is enough to make over thirty films about.

JAGzilla
Kwaidan

Postby JAGzilla » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:14 am

HedorahIsBestGirl wrote:I've met an alarming number of people who think that Godzilla is the only monster in his own series. Apparently some people think that one radioactive reptile destroying cities is enough to make over thirty films about.

In the interest of being fair, most of those people probably aren't aware that Godzilla has over thirty films. And it might help that three of his more prominently released movies in the US (G54, G85, and G98) were solo outings. Anybody who hasn't seen it could also be forgiven for assuming G14 was a solo film, given the MUTOs' lack of presence in the marketing. Same with G2K, come to think of it.
Last edited by JAGzilla on Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

HedorahIsBestGirl
Yojimbo

Postby HedorahIsBestGirl » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:25 pm

JAGzilla wrote:
HedorahIsBestGirl wrote:I've met an alarming number of people who think that Godzilla is the only monster in his own series. Apparently some people think that one radioactive reptile destroying cities is enough to make over thirty films about.

In the interest of being fair, most of those people probably aren't aware that Godzilla has over thirty films. And it might help that three of his more prominently released movies in the US (G54, G85, and G98) were solo outings. Anybody who hasn't seen it could also be forgiven for assuming G14 was a solo film, given the MUTOs' lack of presence in the marketing. Same with G2K, come to think of it.

You know what, that is fair. I guess I'm just surprised when I meet people who haven't even heard of Mothra or Rodan.
On the flip side, I know alot of people who think Rodan is Godzilla's archenemy. I had a college roommate who was absolutely convinced that there was a movie from the 90s called "Godzilla vs. Rodan". Turned out he'd seen part of Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla 2 on TV and thought that Rodan was Godzilla's main enemy in the film.

JAGzilla
Kwaidan

Postby JAGzilla » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:41 pm

HedorahIsBestGirl wrote:
You know what, that is fair. I guess I'm just surprised when I meet people who haven't even heard of Mothra or Rodan.

Again, lack of widespread marketing would make it easy to be unaware of other kaiju if you've never seen the movies. Where else would people be introduced to them? This isn't like Star Wars or something where the main characters are ubiquitous presences across the pop culture landscape. There are a handful of toys out there off and on, a few (mostly old) video games that probably weren't super widely played by people who weren't already interested in this kind of thing, and the occasional cameo or reference in other media. In the very likely event that you miss those, there's just no reason for these niche characters to be on your radar.

Return to “General Toho Films”