Godzilla Misconceptions You Like To Clear Up

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Godzilla Misconceptions You Like To Clear Up

Post by eabaker »

But any story that pitted Superman against Godzilla would have Superman as the hero, so of course he'd win.

A fictional character's "power" always exists relative to the diegesis. Cross-diegetic comparisons/contrasts are basically meaningless.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Baragon was originally suppose to be the monster Mechagodzilla fought in the 1974 movie.

Nope, Baragon was never even considered to be that movie in the first place, that role was always meant to be for Anguirus. I think the exact reason people thought that was because of Anguirus coming out from the ground, something that Baragon is known for and that's digging and burrowing.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

eabaker wrote:But any story that pitted Superman against Godzilla would have Superman as the hero, so of course he'd win.

A fictional character's "power" always exists relative to the diegesis. Cross-diegetic comparisons/contrasts are basically meaningless.
This is very true!
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I dunno but if you're making an argument on Godzilla fighting superman you're doing something wrong, no matter side or what crazed logic you use. I hate fandoms that have to hype up whatever chracter they have to be DA STRONGEST and to piss on other people rather than enjoy it. Eabaker hit it on the head.

Anyways, in response to the whole Showa thing, yeah I don't think the Showa series has a disjointed continuity. The only major offenses is mothra switching back and forth, specifically in Ebirah and DAM and that's because DAM takes place in the future. The weirdest thing to me was always how barren Godzilla vs Hedorah was. Like the fact that Godzilla is the only monster than Hedorah, and no other monsters are even referenced beyond some toys in the beginning. The Showa series just has some continuity errors, due to the fact that it was made by many different people.

Most of the seeming problems come from DAM, and subsequently stock footage being used from DAM in later films that should come before it. If you watch DAM after TOMG the series makes more sense, because a lot of the early showa monsters reappear after disappearing for no reason and you can interpret that they just went into hiding until The Kilaaks came back. The worst offender is Rodan, who appears in GTTHM, IOAM, and DAM, but minus a stock footage scene doesn't appear at all again after DAM. If you watch the series in order you can interpret Rodan went to sleep after fighting Ghidorah and suddenly a continuity error disappears. Same goes for Minya, who appears in two films and is then never seen again until DAM. You can interpret he was just chilling on the island while Godzilla was fighting Gigan, Megalon, Mechagodzilla and Hedorah.

DAM May seemingly fuck over the series continuity, but in many ways by taking place in the future it saves a lot of i because it saves a lot of monsters like Rodan and Minya from disappearing for no reason. It also spreads out the time KG was controlled.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:Baragon was originally suppose to be the monster Mechagodzilla fought in the 1974 movie.

Nope, Baragon was never even considered to be that movie in the first place, that role was always meant to be for Anguirus. I think the exact reason people thought that was because of Anguirus coming out from the ground, something that Baragon is known for and that's digging and burrowing.
This comes from the original name of King Caesar.
Imagine getting angry your out of date and obsolete stats for rubber suit monsters were 'stolen'.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

I've got one that came from Mick Martin and Marsha Porter's book Video Movie Guide 1986. They said that Godzilla (1954) was originally made in color, but since the Raymond Burr scenes that were added to it in 1956 were accidentally shot in black and white, the entire American version had to be released that way. Is that crazy or what? I mean, I don't even know where they got that piece of info from. Every G-fan worth his salt knows that that film was made in black and white from the start. However, they did give it a good review, saying of it (I quote the authors) "Ignore all subsequent efforts, this is the real Godzilla."
Last edited by mikelcho on Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

mikelcho wrote:I've got one that came from Mick Martin and Marsha Porter's book Video Movie Guide. They said that Godzilla (1954) was made in color, but since the Raymond Burr scenes were accidentally shot in black and white, the American version had to be released that way. Is that crazy or what?
Holy shit that's weird!

How could anyone have come to such a bizarre conclusion???
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

That's a really odd one, I have to say.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

It's amazing what people believe.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Dawsbfiremind wrote:This made me bristle with anger for some reason. Some idiot on youtube said that, without a doubt, DCEU Superman could beat the strongest Godzilla incarnation.
At the very least, Godzilla would get him with atomic breath. If any of you watched BvS, you probably noticed that Supes was technically killed by the nuke they shot at him and Doomsday. I doubt atomic breath would be any different.
Um...depends on

1: Which version of Superman.
2: Which version of Godzilla.

Superman is so stupidly OP that over the decades writers have had to nerf him because he was too powerful for there to be any drama or tension.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Living Corpse wrote:
Dawsbfiremind wrote:This made me bristle with anger for some reason. Some idiot on youtube said that, without a doubt, DCEU Superman could beat the strongest Godzilla incarnation.
At the very least, Godzilla would get him with atomic breath. If any of you watched BvS, you probably noticed that Supes was technically killed by the nuke they shot at him and Doomsday. I doubt atomic breath would be any different.
Um...depends on

Superman is so stupidly OP that over the decades writers have had to nerf him because he was too powerful for there to be any drama or tension.
Well, they did say DCEU Superman, so that would be Cavill. And since, like in Dark Knight Returns, a nuke almost kills him... yeah, I'd tend to say he has a pretty good shot. As you say, comics island-lifting Superman from the Silver Age, or even 2000s comic Superman, I'd call a pretty good match for Godzilla (and unlikely to be killed even at worst); guy knocks around the Atomic Skull on a regular basis. But DCEU Superman... not quite as tough.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Dawsbfiremind
EDF Instructor

Post by Dawsbfiremind »

^ Dang, how long ago did I write that?
goji89 wrote:
Dawsbfiremind wrote:People have asked me how I can want to be a writer
With skills like this......I wonder too.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Holy mother of Bagan we actually are stuck in limbo.
TK drinking game official rules.
https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... 0#p1564587

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Dawsbfiremind wrote:^ Dang, how long ago did I write that?
That's exactly what I was thinking! That was from a LOOOOONG time ago (relatively speaking).

Maranatha!

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Living Corpse wrote:
Um...depends on

I think that the first time that DC did something like what you've described is a Superman storyline called "The Sandman Saga", in which Superman became immune to all forms on kryptonite after it was turned into harmless iron (they published it in book form as ''Superman: Kryptonite Nevermore''). But once it was finished, everything went back to normal as though nothing had happened. There's a Wikipedia article on it if anyone wants to look it up.
Last edited by mikelcho on Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:18 am, edited 4 times in total.

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

ZillaJr-KaijuKing wrote:Not too long ago I found out there's a misconception that Zilla Jr.'s atomic breath is just a generic fire breath rather than a nuclear breath even among people who know Godzilla's atomic breath is nuclear-powered. Come on, we have in-universe, official, and interview statements pointing to it being nuclear-powered.
Actually, it's neither: he just breathes gas at the cars and they ignited.

Also, another one that's bugged me for quite some time is the "suits vs. CGI realism" argument, specifically the one that says suits are more realistic because it actually uses a real life person/suit instead of digital effects. Props/effects used have nothing to do with realism, it's how the monsters appear on-screen. You can't honestly tell me this:

looks more realistic than this:

One of these can at least kinda pass for a real life Godzilla, on what planet does a rubber suit look remotely real? I get that it was a product of technical limitations, but c'm'on now.

(Yes, I realize I'm a little late to the party on this.)
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

KManX89 wrote:
ZillaJr-KaijuKing wrote:Not too long ago I found out there's a misconception that Zilla Jr.'s atomic breath is just a generic fire breath rather than a nuclear breath even among people who know Godzilla's atomic breath is nuclear-powered. Come on, we have in-universe, official, and interview statements pointing to it being nuclear-powered.
You're talking about the original 98 Godzilla, he's talking about the one from the animated series.

ROMG4
G-Grasper

Post by ROMG4 »

KManX89 wrote:

Also, another one that's bugged me for quite some time is the "suits vs. CGI realism" argument, specifically the one that says suits are more realistic because it actually uses a real life person/suit instead of digital effects. Props/effects used have nothing to do with realism, it's how the monsters appear on-screen. You can't honestly tell me this:

looks more realistic than this:

One of these can at least kinda pass for a real life Godzilla, on what planet does a rubber suit look remotely real? I get that it was a product of technical limitations, but c'm'on now.

(Yes, I realize I'm a little late to the party on this.)
People tend to prefer Practical Effects because it's actually there the material is genuinely reacting to the light levels where it is at, it's genuinely reacting and being effected to the environment it's in, and it often helps actors react to it because it's actually there and not say a cardboard stand in

And so on and so forth

But I genuinely have to question your examples. Why would you use a picture from a film with a budget of less then $5-Million and incredibly low production quality to the rest of it's series and compare it to a film made with a budget of 170$-Million and made over a decade later

A better example would be these
Animatronic:

CGI:

And just for fun the Wolfman from 2010

Either way Production values are always going to change depending on the director, the studio, the people, and pretty much everything. I'd like to see anyone say the Thing from 1986 doesn't look awesome or see anyone say the Mosasaur from Jurassic World doesn't look good

At the end of the day both are a means to a end. Both are tools in order to make the film's characters look alive and real, I consider both tools to be equal in general

And either way I don't much mind at all which effect is used generally. But of course some people have this negativity bias thing where they gotta be mad at something permanently

So people with a Anti-CGI bias will always see flaws in CGI and never believe the CGI is real and likewise with Anti-Practical Effects people

I wonder whatever happened to just watching the story and enjoying it

Leave the debating to the mediocre film critics
Last edited by ROMG4 on Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Never forget tadpole :g2k:
Cinematic Kaiju wrote:"...And you keep still because you think that maybe his visual acuity is based on movement like T-Rex - he'll lose you if you don't move. But no, not Godzilla. You stare at him, and he just stares right back."
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:00 amI'm sowey, I didn't mean it uMu

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

Godzilla is not a giant lizard and never was, and no, the "terrible lizard" nickname for dinosaur doesn't make him a lizard any more than the raccoon "trash panda" nickname makes Rocket an actual panda. Here's another one that bugs the hell out of me, can't escape that stigma from the 98 movie, I guess.
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Well, to be fair, the 98 movie was Emerich and Roland's own unique take on Godzilla. They made it their own character rather than going with the traditional version.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Gerdzerl

Post by Gerdzerl »

Correct me if if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure Godzilla had been referred to as a lizard decades before GODZILLA came out. Sure, the 1998 film probably only strengthened that misconception, but it wasn't exactly without precedent.