(Alleged) Godzilla vs. Gamera Live Event (1970)

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
User avatar
Godzillian
Kwaidan
Posts: 5789
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:36 pm

Re: (Alleged) Godzilla vs. Gamera Live Event (1970)

Postby Godzillian » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:28 am

Legion1979 wrote:I've heard of this, but I've never seen photos of it, which makes me question it.

Same. You think some photos or promotional material from this would exist and be in a book or online somewhere.
Did Nakajima ever mentioned this?

Well he's going to be at a con in the spring. Someone should ask him about it.
Image

User avatar
omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 4216
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:52 am
Location: Soviet Nuclear Missile Satellite

Re: (Alleged) Godzilla vs. Gamera Live Event (1970)

Postby omgitsgodzilla » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:31 pm

Living Corpse wrote:I don't care if Gamera beats Godzilla, I just want them to do a crossover film already.

Those images looked shopped though, there's an outline around Godzilla.

That doesn't mean it's Photoshopped; it's entirely possible the promo image was sort of a photo collage, like someone physically cut out the picture of Godzilla and pasted it onto that background.
RED MENACE
Tumblr YouTube Patreon

Latest project: Godzilla 1985 35mm hybrid reconstruction
Current project: Stay tuned for details

KEEP CIRCULATING THE TAPES

User avatar
GodzillaFanatic2001
Yin-Yang Master
Posts: 324
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:19 pm

Re: (Alleged) Godzilla vs. Gamera Live Event (1970)

Postby GodzillaFanatic2001 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:59 pm

omgitsgodzilla wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:I don't care if Gamera beats Godzilla, I just want them to do a crossover film already.

Those images looked shopped though, there's an outline around Godzilla.

That doesn't mean it's Photoshopped; it's entirely possible the promo image was sort of a photo collage, like someone physically cut out the picture of Godzilla and pasted it onto that background.


After all, plenty of film posters from that era appear to be a bunch of images collages together.
HayesAJones wrote:
Godzilla 2000 wrote:Its harmless fun, pure and simple.

As opposed to those dangerously fun movies.


GalacticPetey wrote:
eabaker wrote:
edgaguirus wrote:Great for any afternoon. Or late night movie.

But not the morning. No, no... Never the morning.
This movie's quality improves by 50% when viewed past noon.

User avatar
g2vd
Kwaidan
Posts: 6917
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:36 am

Re: (Alleged) Godzilla vs. Gamera Live Event (1970)

Postby g2vd » Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:47 am

I still want to know the truth about this.
Godzilla

User avatar
Godzillian
Kwaidan
Posts: 5789
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:36 pm

Re: (Alleged) Godzilla vs. Gamera Live Event (1970)

Postby Godzillian » Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:28 am

it seems the only way to know would be to ask Nakajima himself seeing as this supposedly had him playing Godzilla in the show
Image

User avatar
g2vd
Kwaidan
Posts: 6917
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:36 am

Re: (Alleged) Godzilla vs. Gamera Live Event (1970)

Postby g2vd » Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:02 am

Godzillian wrote:it seems the only way to know would be to ask Nakajima himself seeing as this supposedly had him playing Godzilla in the show

Hmm, you think he would have mentioned that at some point especially with the popularity of Gamera present at the Godzilla events he's been at.

Still isn't Nakajima supposed to be present at G-Fest? perhaps somebody could ask him there.
Godzilla

User avatar
Mechagigan
EDF Soldier
Posts: 3928
Joined: Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:37 pm

Re: (Alleged) Godzilla vs. Gamera Live Event (1970)

Postby Mechagigan » Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:18 pm

If this happened, the magazine clipping on the first page absolutely isn't from the actual event (as in, the photos of Godzilla and Gamera themselves couldn't have been from it); that Godzilla suit was already falling apart in '71, and if this was in '79, there's no way it'd still look that nice. Same with Gamera; if Godzilla's high budget suits only lasted five or six years, Gamera's dollar bin budget certainly didn't allow for suits to last that long.

Of course, Goji does look a little beat up, but Gamera's still clearly too pretty.

User avatar
Godzillian
Kwaidan
Posts: 5789
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:36 pm

Re: (Alleged) Godzilla vs. Gamera Live Event (1970)

Postby Godzillian » Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:47 pm

Mechagigan wrote:If this happened, the magazine clipping on the first page absolutely isn't from the actual event (as in, the photos of Godzilla and Gamera themselves couldn't have been from it); that Godzilla suit was already falling apart in '71, and if this was in '79, there's no way it'd still look that nice. Same with Gamera; if Godzilla's high budget suits only lasted five or six years, Gamera's dollar bin budget certainly didn't allow for suits to last that long.

Of course, Goji does look a little beat up, but Gamera's still clearly too pretty.

Or you know they just used publicity shots of old suits for adds
Image

User avatar
GodzillaFanatic2001
Yin-Yang Master
Posts: 324
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:19 pm

Re: (Alleged) Godzilla vs. Gamera Live Event (1970)

Postby GodzillaFanatic2001 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:08 pm

I was always under the impression that the event happened in 1970, during the Expo 70, not 1979. After all, the date given at the beginning of this topic is listed as 1970.
HayesAJones wrote:
Godzilla 2000 wrote:Its harmless fun, pure and simple.

As opposed to those dangerously fun movies.


GalacticPetey wrote:
eabaker wrote:
edgaguirus wrote:Great for any afternoon. Or late night movie.

But not the morning. No, no... Never the morning.
This movie's quality improves by 50% when viewed past noon.

User avatar
Mechagigan
EDF Soldier
Posts: 3928
Joined: Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:37 pm

Re: (Alleged) Godzilla vs. Gamera Live Event (1970)

Postby Mechagigan » Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:32 pm

Godzillian wrote:
Mechagigan wrote:If this happened, the magazine clipping on the first page absolutely isn't from the actual event (as in, the photos of Godzilla and Gamera themselves couldn't have been from it); that Godzilla suit was already falling apart in '71, and if this was in '79, there's no way it'd still look that nice. Same with Gamera; if Godzilla's high budget suits only lasted five or six years, Gamera's dollar bin budget certainly didn't allow for suits to last that long.

Of course, Goji does look a little beat up, but Gamera's still clearly too pretty.

Or you know they just used publicity shots of old suits for adds

That's basically what I'm saying; just that the individual images of Godzilla and Gamera themselves can't be from the real event.

User avatar
G2000
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 5213
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:34 pm

Re: (Alleged) Godzilla vs. Gamera Live Event (1970)

Postby G2000 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:56 am

GodzillaFanatic2001 wrote:I was always under the impression that the event happened in 1970, during the Expo 70, not 1979. After all, the date given at the beginning of this topic is listed as 1970.


Yes, but the magazine itself is from '79, which casts some doubt as to if the photo is related to the event or if it even happened at all.
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

User avatar
Tamura
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2410
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:32 pm

Re: (Alleged) Godzilla vs. Gamera Live Event (1970)

Postby Tamura » Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:00 pm

I didn't realize there was any question about whether this happened... it's documented in Age of the Gods by Ed Godz.
Image

JVM
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 5173
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:06 pm

Re: (Alleged) Godzilla vs. Gamera Live Event (1970)

Postby JVM » Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:38 pm

I can say pretty confidently that this never happened. Remember Godzilla vs. The Devil -- all we had to go off was one magazine story that turned out to be bogus? Even aside that obviously something so huge would probably be a well-known fact in the kaiju fandom before this year.
I don't think I saw the same movies as the rest of you.
I'll always miss Vega.

User avatar
Mechagigan
EDF Soldier
Posts: 3928
Joined: Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:37 pm

Re: (Alleged) Godzilla vs. Gamera Live Event (1970)

Postby Mechagigan » Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:06 pm

The magazine clipping seems irrelevant to me, anyway. There are tons of modern magazines and pictures showing Godzilla and Gamera together... none, of which, are really from anything or exactly promoting anything. Could have just been there for some fan discussion type stuff.

User avatar
Godzillian
Kwaidan
Posts: 5789
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:36 pm

Re: (Alleged) Godzilla vs. Gamera Live Event (1970)

Postby Godzillian » Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:44 am

Seems odd that not a single photo of this event exists
Image

edgaguirus
Kwaidan
Posts: 5609
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:25 pm

Re: (Alleged) Godzilla vs. Gamera Live Event (1970)

Postby edgaguirus » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:54 pm

Or reliable publicity material. A meeting of the monsters would have attracted attention whether popularity was down or up.

What kind of details does Age of the Gods give about this?
Kaiju are just like people- giant, radioactive people.

Megalon went into a bar and saw Gigan. Megalon said, " Again? I thought you gave this up."
" What can I say," Gigan asked. " I'm hooked."

Chris55
Site Director | Media Relations
Site Director | Media Relations
Posts: 2542
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:14 pm

Re: (Alleged) Godzilla vs. Gamera Live Event (1970)

Postby Chris55 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:56 pm

JVM wrote:I can say pretty confidently that this never happened.



It did

https://youtu.be/UHXO98lYJQQ?t=6m7s
Your misconceptions and fantasies along with your misguided sense of entitlement don't dictate my actions.

User avatar
Godzillian
Kwaidan
Posts: 5789
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:36 pm

Re: (Alleged) Godzilla vs. Gamera Live Event (1970)

Postby Godzillian » Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:54 am

Chris55 wrote:
JVM wrote:I can say pretty confidently that this never happened.



It did

https://youtu.be/UHXO98lYJQQ?t=6m7s

Yet August and Ed are the only ones talking about it and that's literally all there is to go on. No photos, no statements from Japanese sources, not even a poster or confirmation from Toho.
Image

Chris55
Site Director | Media Relations
Site Director | Media Relations
Posts: 2542
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:14 pm

Re: (Alleged) Godzilla vs. Gamera Live Event (1970)

Postby Chris55 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:12 am

Godzillian wrote:
Chris55 wrote:
JVM wrote:I can say pretty confidently that this never happened.



It did

https://youtu.be/UHXO98lYJQQ?t=6m7s

Yet August and Ed are the only ones talking about it and that's literally all there is to go on. No photos, no statements from Japanese sources, not even a poster or confirmation from Toho.


It was what, 40+ years ago? I doubt any of that stuff would even be saved for a one off event. Ask August about it on FB. See if he can fill you in more.
Your misconceptions and fantasies along with your misguided sense of entitlement don't dictate my actions.

User avatar
Mechagigan
EDF Soldier
Posts: 3928
Joined: Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:37 pm

Re: (Alleged) Godzilla vs. Gamera Live Event (1970)

Postby Mechagigan » Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:15 pm

Could've just been a small local thing, nothing too huge. Neither Godzilla nor Gamera really mattered as pop culture icons in '79.


Return to “General Toho Films”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests