Most violent Godzilla films

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
DrBreakfastMachine
Interpol Agent

Most violent Godzilla films

Post by DrBreakfastMachine »

What do you think are the the most violent Godzilla films? Counting both kaiju violence and human violence.

As far as the Showa series goes, it's gotta be Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla. Between Mechagodzilla breaking Anguirus's jaw and Godzilla getting pumped full of those missiles, there is a lot of blood in that film (and yet I'm pretty sure almost all of the Showa Gamera films are bloodier). Godzilla vs. Gigan is up there too. Godzilla vs. Megalon also gets a mention just for the part where the guy's face gets caved in by the model airplane.

Heisei- harder for me to say because I haven't seen most of them for quite a long while. If memory serves, both Godzilla vs. Biollante and Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II are pretty brutal when it comes to Godzilla getting fucked up.

Millennium- definitely GMK, just for the drill-sub-thing bursting out of Godzilla's neck. That really disturbed me as a kid.
Last edited by DrBreakfastMachine on Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Breakdown
Keizer

Re: Most violent Godzilla films

Post by Breakdown »

Godzilla vs Biollante and Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla are tied for the most violent. GvsB has people being shot in the head, copious amounts of Kaiju blood, Godzilla being impaled, etc.

Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla has Godzilla turned into a blood fountain, Anguirus's jaw hanging on by bloody tatters, and the Alien Commander being shot in the throat with blood spraying out.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

G vs Biollante had the most bloody and gruesome kaiju battle seen. Plus, there's all the gun violence and Biollante killing the intruders.

G vs MG also applies. Besides the kaiju violence, the film has at least two fights, torture, and gun violence.

For kaiju violence, you might also include GRA. Godzilla bites Anguirus in the neck, and you can see blood flowing from the bite.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

Yeah, as the others have said: Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla (1974) and Godzilla vs. Biollante hands down. They really stand heads and shoulders above everything else when it comes to blood and violence, nothing else comes even all that close.

Noble Saber
Xilien Halfling

Post by Noble Saber »

GMK doesn't have the blood factor, but the destruction scenes are especially brutal

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

^ Sort of. GMK Ghidorah does rain down as bloody chunks and a close up of a drill coming out of Godzilla's body.

Godzilla vs Gigan and Godzilla vs Hedorah. Do I even need to explain this?

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

Living Corpse wrote:^ Sort of. GMK Ghidorah does rain down as bloody chunks and a close up of a drill coming out of Godzilla's body.

Godzilla vs Gigan and Godzilla vs Hedorah. Do I even need to explain this?
I'd put Gigan and Hedorah as the runners-up, myself.

20th Century Boy
Futurian

Post by 20th Century Boy »

In terms of raw violence, Godzilla Final Wars is the most violent, as there are a huge amount of fight scenes and deaths. However, other movies portray this in a more realistic and gruesome manner.

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

Well, many examples have been said before me but yeah. After thinking about it, and putting our 'comfort for violence' after seeing many media here and there aside, the Godzilla series can get pretty gruesome and violent at times.
UNSTOPPABLE FURY. UNTHINKABLE POWER. UNBREAKABLE WILL.
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Godzilla vs Hedora is outright gross, but doesn't have the blood factor.

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

It would of if it wasn't of Hedy's corrosive properties. (It melted people and Godzilla's hand to the bone...)
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.

Dillyziller
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Dillyziller »

Giga Kaiju wrote:It would of if it wasn't of Hedy's corrosive properties. (It melted people and Godzilla's hand to the bone...)
I still wouldn't say that's true. I'm sure Godzilla's hand was only stained white. You can see other areas of him covered in white after he's shot by Hedorah's laser and smog chunks.
^This post in sexually offensive.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

I think the implication is the skin is badly burned and shriveled up.

King Ghidrah's death in Destroy All Monsters is brutal.

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

It made Godzilla's hand 'smaller' somehow. And very skeletal in some points.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Clear pictures make it very obvious that a bone hand was what they were going for. But they could only do so much without destroying the entire hand of the costume.

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

Ha. Completely forgot about Godzilla vs Hedorah. Yeah the scenes where people get dissolved on-screen are pretty gruesome, but nowhere near GvB and GvsMG caliber of violence. Though I'd rank Godzilla (2014) a bit higher than Hedorah simply because of the gruesome demises the MUTOs meet. What, with the Male MUTO being crushed, dismembered and impaled all at once and the female having her head burned off from the inside out.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

Missingno.
G-Grasper

Post by Missingno. »

In terms of bloodshed, I'd say Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla (1974) and Godzilla vs. Gigan are logical contenders of being the 'most violent' Godzilla films.
TK's resident other 1980's fan who longs for that decade's return, and severe weather fanatic.
LSD Jellyfish wrote:WOW WHAT HONOL. SO KOOR, VERY JOUZU KAWAII SOU DESU NE. AHHHH OKII CHINKO DESU KA. MMMMM CHICHI, WATSHI NO MANKO NI CHINKO O IKYUUUUUUUU
NEVER FORGET:
8-8-2015
R.I.P. Games forum
Resized ImageResized Image
The 80's----The weather!

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

In terms of humans being killed, I'd say G'54 and G'84, maybe even GMK. They don't shy from civilians being destroyed along with military and cops.

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

In terms of humans, Hedorah does count for that, and those three above where any civilian kills are shown so.

Jatahaxe
Interpol Agent

Post by Jatahaxe »

How has nobody brought up the head-splitting scene in FW yet? That was shockingly gruesome, even if it was just an alien suit coming off.
Weren't there buckets of human blood shed in Gamera 2 at the hands of the Symbiotic Legions? I'd like to see it on that level in a Godzilla film.

Hedorah's human kills still take the cake for me in terms of the violence that freaked me out the most in these movies.
Monsters are the real people.