Toho Tech: Real life applications

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Breakdown
Keizer

Toho Tech: Real life applications

Post by Breakdown »

This thread is based off an idea that popped into my head the other day. We know that the Toho universe has some pretty outlandish technology, but some of it actually exists in the real world. So here's my question, in what ways could things such as Masers or the Super-X be used in a non-kaiju conflict in the real world? Say for instance a Maser Tank is deployed in the Middle East, how would it be used? For the sake of keeping things interesting, no mechs like Jet Jaguar, Mechagodzilla, MOGUERA, etc.

I feel like a Maser Tank could be used as an extremely effective anti-infantry weapon given it's potential to disintegrate enemy combatants as well as a potential anti-armor weapon. A Maser could also be used to shoot down enemy planes and missiles, and would be ideal mounted on a ship at sea.

The Super-X could fill the role of a gunship similar to the modern-day AC-130 so long as it stays at a high altitude to avoid being shot down. Any form of the Super-X works, really. The first one is similar to a heavily armored gunship, the second is essentially a gigantic remote-controlled drone, and the 3rd is a sleek, fighter craft.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

Beef Bigshot
Xilien Halfling

Re: Toho Tech: Real life applications

Post by Beef Bigshot »

Masers, like the heavy duty ones that had to be carted around, would, in real life, have an incredible range. Considering that they were built to stop kaiju on the level of Godzilla and had a great track record with kaiju under him in power, they would easily be Anti-Tank weapons that could eat through armor in seconds, also probably as bunker busters. Smaller Masers could be outfitted on modern day tanks which would most likely be significantly less powerful, making them more useful agaisnt infintry and personnel

The super X would be the same as dispatching an aircraft carrier with a fleet somewhere. While they aren't compatible with what they do, they are in the level of seriousness in that they were sent to an area. It would be a super weapon for sure.

Then there are the freeze weapons that I don't think would be used to often. Perhaps to get rid of people without damaging stuff? I honestly see this tech being researched more and given a commercial release, but obviously not weapons grade freezer weapons
Resized Image

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

We already have drones operated by remote, so the SX2 is a real possibility. A large craft could just as easily be rigged with the same technology. It would be ideal for reconnaisance and supporting ground forces. The SX3, or something similar, could be created for use in possible radiation situations. We have shielding that can protect against radiation.

For freezer weapons, we do have thermoacoustics. Sound waves moving through some gases can create a cooling effect. Refrigerators designed this way have proven the technology, but it wouldn't be very practical as a weapon.

In G vs King Ghidorah, the Futurians have the ability to transport matter. I don't remember what university it was, but scientist there were able to move particles inside a magnetic field half an inch or so without physically moving them. It's a long way off from transporting a entire organism, but science has shown that it's not impossible.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Missingno.
G-Grasper

Post by Missingno. »

I think the Hyper Laser Cannons from RoG would be the easiest mobile beam cannon to create in the real world. All that would have to be done to make a real life one from what the US navy has is making the laser relatively more wide (like how large the beams were compared to Godzilla in the movie they appeared in) and strong enough to where it can actually go into combat and be an effective offense, such as disintegrating enemies, slicing through structures, etc.

I actually made a diagram of an HLC not too long ago, and assuming that some of the items I noted are what Toho intended them to be on the weapon itself, then it really wouldn't be that far of a stretch to make a real one...
TK's resident other 1980's fan who longs for that decade's return, and severe weather fanatic.
LSD Jellyfish wrote:WOW WHAT HONOL. SO KOOR, VERY JOUZU KAWAII SOU DESU NE. AHHHH OKII CHINKO DESU KA. MMMMM CHICHI, WATSHI NO MANKO NI CHINKO O IKYUUUUUUUU
NEVER FORGET:
8-8-2015
R.I.P. Games forum
Resized ImageResized Image
The 80's----The weather!

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Even something simple as the Garuda would be a nightmare to fight. It heavy armor and massive size means it can just fly into another aircraft without fear of harming itself, and as far as we can tell it's energy systems seems to have unlimited ammo or can last a long time before needing to be recharged.

The DAG-MB96 Masers and Super-X3 I don't even need to explain, weapons that can flash freeze a large area in a short amount of time is like carpet bombing with ice instead of fire.

Even the ASTOL-MB93 maser jets would be pretty devastating weapon, the may not be as fast as most fighter jets but they shoot masers, which should be going at the speed of light, they have energy based weapons that are faster than bullets or missiles. As soon as you are within their visual range, you are bacon, and since they can fly, they have a easier time aiming than the masers on the ground as they can just fly above hills that would obscure their view.