Should Toho treat Godzilla vs Mothra as crossover films.

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
miguelnuva
Justiriser

Should Toho treat Godzilla vs Mothra as crossover films.

Post by miguelnuva »

Here's my thought process, Toho should work hard to get Mothra back out the Godzilla universe, when ever they go full time into Godzilla movies again, make a Godzilla movie then a Mothra movie, same universe but the two never intreact.

After a couple movies(maybe a trilogy for each) A new Godzilla vs Mothra could be made combining the story elements and cast of each film.

An example would be if we never got Godzilla vs Mothra in 92 and instead we get in in 98 or 99 as both Godzilla 2000 and Rebirth of Mothra 4.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Mechagigan
Futurian

Re: Should Toho treat Godzilla vs Mothra as crossover films.

Post by Mechagigan »

It'd be cool, but it doesn't seem like there'd much much of a purpose (other than Toho getting more cash from their Monsters)

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Toho first has to see how their Godzilla movie performs.

Considering the ROM films, Toho probably won't give Mothra another trilogy. Mothra is inseperable from the Godzilla universe, and a vs film would be the more likely vehicle to reintroduce Mothra.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

I kind of feel bad that a lot of monsters who had films that didn't involve Godzilla are stuck in Godzilla films once they show up in one. Like damn man, Mothra is the only one to break free. When's Rodan gonna have his second film that isn't a Godzilla film? Heck he was supposed to have his own game but it got canceled.

DrBreakfastMachine
Interpol Agent

Post by DrBreakfastMachine »

Sort of funny to see this brought up, because for years I've had this idea of what a modern Toho Cinematic Universe (think Marvel Cinematic Universe) could be like.

The core of the universe would be a trilogy of Godzilla films. Between the Godzilla films would be a Mothra film and a Monster Island film, and after the last Godzilla film, there'd be a Destroy All Monsters-style crossover with all the monsters from the previous five films teaming up to fight a big threat like Destoroyah. I think it would be great to go back to the style of having non-Godzilla films set in the same universe to help flesh things out and show that it's not all about Godzilla.

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

DrBreakfastMachine wrote:Sort of funny to see this brought up, because for years I've had this idea of what a modern Toho Cinematic Universe (think Marvel Cinematic Universe) could be like.

The core of the universe would be a trilogy of Godzilla films. Between the Godzilla films would be a Mothra film and a Monster Island film, and after the last Godzilla film, there'd be a Destroy All Monsters-style crossover with all the monsters from the previous five films teaming up to fight a big threat like Destoroyah. I think it would be great to go back to the style of having non-Godzilla films set in the same universe to help flesh things out and show that it's not all about Godzilla.
I think Toho could benefit from doing the franchise this way. Having a Godzilla movie every 2 years, with another daikaiju in a movie in-between set in the same universe. It help introduce other daikaijus without cramming to many into a single film. The two year production time would also help in better plotting, and more time to work on effects. I think Toho rushed too many of the Heisei and Millennium movie going from concept to shooting to post production in a very short time.

Missingno.
G-Grasper

Post by Missingno. »

It would be interesting, but how could you do it? It'd be interesting to see old elements brought in again like a modern Rolisica, but how could you make it to where people won't say things like "Oh, this is too much like the original"? Now, if it were a different monster that had their own film again, I'd like to see something like another Rodan, Dogora, or hell, even another Varan film (since the original leaves a lot to be desired) since I feel there is more potential for those monsters, especially since the latter two have a lot of potential due to them not really being in anything besides their debut films (unless you count Varan's cameo in DAM, which I don't).
TK's resident other 1980's fan who longs for that decade's return, and severe weather fanatic.
LSD Jellyfish wrote:WOW WHAT HONOL. SO KOOR, VERY JOUZU KAWAII SOU DESU NE. AHHHH OKII CHINKO DESU KA. MMMMM CHICHI, WATSHI NO MANKO NI CHINKO O IKYUUUUUUUU
NEVER FORGET:
8-8-2015
R.I.P. Games forum
Resized ImageResized Image
The 80's----The weather!

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I would definately go for another Rodan film.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

DrBreakfastMachine
Interpol Agent

Post by DrBreakfastMachine »

Missingno. wrote:It would be interesting, but how could you do it? It'd be interesting to see old elements brought in again like a modern Rolisica, but how could you make it to where people won't say things like "Oh, this is too much like the original"? Now, if it were a different monster that had their own film again, I'd like to see something like another Rodan, Dogora, or hell, even another Varan film (since the original leaves a lot to be desired) since I feel there is more potential for those monsters, especially since the latter two have a lot of potential due to them not really being in anything besides their debut films (unless you count Varan's cameo in DAM, which I don't).
Mixing up the monster combinations would be a huge help towards setting the series apart. Having Showa, Heisei, and Millennium monsters co-existing like the Atari/Pipeworks games and establishing an alternate history situation where the world is extremely different from the one we know because monsters have been attacking it since 1954.

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

Well, one example of someone that treats that movie as a crossover is WatchMojo. Not sure if that counts, but hey...

In a way it is, if you count two movie monsters appearing in their respective movies until their confrontation in it.
UNSTOPPABLE FURY. UNTHINKABLE POWER. UNBREAKABLE WILL.
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.