Godzilla in Universe Media References

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Godzilla in Universe Media References

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

So in a few of the Godzilla movies, particularly the late Showa films some weird things like toys appear. Toys themselves might not be weird but when you consider they're toys for kids made of giant monsters that destroy buildings it does get morbid. Does it mean Japan loves Godzilla in the Showa series that toy lines are based off of him?

List all the toys and models based off of him. Or anything like maybe movie posters or anything that shows the cultures internal relations with Godzilla.

I'll begin with three off the top of my head:

-Godzilla vs Hedorah: Little boy playing with vinyl figures
-Godzillas Revenge: vinyl figures
-Godzilla final wars: more vinyl figures. Gamera is amongst them....is he cannon?
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Re: Godzilla in Universe Media References

Post by Space Hunter M »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:"Gamera" is amongst them
"You loser!"

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:-Godzillas Revenge: vinyl figures
Revenge isn't in universe, actually. He's a fictional character there like he is here.
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

SoleMan
G-Grasper

Post by SoleMan »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:So in a few of the Godzilla movies, particularly the late Showa films some weird things like toys appear. Toys themselves might not be weird but when you consider they're toys for kids made of giant monsters that destroy buildings it does get morbid. Does it mean Japan loves Godzilla in the Showa series that toy lines are based off of him?

List all the toys and models based off of him. Or anything like maybe movie posters or anything that shows the cultures internal relations with Godzilla.

-Godzilla final wars: more vinyl figures. Gamera is amongst them....is he cannon?
We asked Yoshimitsu Banno why he had the toys in the film, and he said basically "I just thought it would be neat to have the kid playing with Godzilla toys. They were real popular back then."
My professor kept thinking there was all this meaning to it. :lol:
Before it can be filmed, drawn, acted or programed, it must be written.

PRIMEVAL
Gotengo Officer

Post by PRIMEVAL »

I thought Godzilla Tower was kinda odd in Godzilla vs Gigan.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

SoleMan wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:So in a few of the Godzilla movies, particularly the late Showa films some weird things like toys appear. Toys themselves might not be weird but when you consider they're toys for kids made of giant monsters that destroy buildings it does get morbid. Does it mean Japan loves Godzilla in the Showa series that toy lines are based off of him?

We asked Yoshimitsu Banno why he had the toys in the film, and he said basically "I just thought it would be neat to have the kid playing with Godzilla toys. They were real popular back then."
My professor kept thinking there was all this meaning to it. :lol:
Somewhere amongst the old threads on this board, one can still find a post I made positing a reading of Godzilla vs. Hedorah in which the kaiju action is actually in Ken's imagination.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

NSZ wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:-Godzillas Revenge: vinyl figures
Revenge isn't in universe, actually. He's a fictional character there like he is here.
I kinda of thought this for a while but couldn't confirm it.

This and the other remark about the imaginary action in Godzilla vs Hedorah makes things very weird.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

ZillaJr-KaijuKing
G-Force Personnel

Post by ZillaJr-KaijuKing »

I noticed that in Godzilla vs. MechaGodzilla 2 and in Godzilla Against MechaGodzilla, there are figures of MechaGodzilla 2 and Kiryu respectively on tabletops.

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

In Godzilla vs Biollante, Col. Gondo has a huge statue of Kinggoji on a drawer. Not sure if this counts, but in the same film there's a brief Mitsubishi product placement on a rooftop billboard Godzilla passes by during the Osaka attack.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

@Breakdown and Kaijuking:

I'm excluding anything that looks like a scientific model that may be used for study. I'm talking more about toys and things that shows Godzilla has infiltrated in universe popular culture. Maybe off the too of my head I'm wrong but perhaps what you guys are talking about are models?

ZillaJr-KaijuKing
G-Force Personnel

Post by ZillaJr-KaijuKing »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:@Breakdown and Kaijuking:

I'm excluding anything that looks like a scientific model that may be used for study. I'm talking more about toys and things that shows Godzilla has infiltrated in universe popular culture. Maybe off the too of my head I'm wrong but perhaps what you guys are talking about are models?
I'm not entirely sure they were just toys or models, to be honest. It just surprised me to see them just randomly seemingly sitting in the background.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I believe the college student in G vs Destroyah had a model of Godzilla's skeleton.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

M.o.g.u.e.r.a14
EDF Instructor

Post by M.o.g.u.e.r.a14 »

Bandai was in Godzilla: Tokyo S.O.S
Fan of Godzilla, Pacific Rim, Sailor Moon, and Transformers.
Dezerb wrote: buenos ding dong didily dias senor.
http://i.imgur.com/PpE0DEQ.gif

Moguera14 X Sailor Moon