Scariest Kaiju

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
bigmackdaddy
Ronin

Scariest Kaiju

Post by bigmackdaddy »

Which monsters do you find most scary? I'll vote for Gaira, as he will eat you if he sees you. The scene of the sailors being chased by him was very unsettling.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Re: Scariest Kaiju

Post by BlankAccount »

Hedorah: simply cause he is so hard to kill even with his weakness to electricity. The fact he gets bigger every time he finds something to eat makes it harder to dry him out.

Space monsters: They fall out of the sky with no warning. Some like Ghidorah are in a meteor with us none the wiser till it's too late.

Spacegodzilla: I'm putting him in a different group because of his crystals. He can just make his own energy sources.

Anything that digs, god only knows what other life forms exist deep underground, deeper than we've ever been. Something down there is Baragon's food, and maybe something down there feeds off of Baragons.

Legendary Godzilla and Mutos: Somehow these giants pulled off stealth a few times.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Gaia and other man eating monsters like Zedus and Gyaos are biggies but Hedorah takes the cake. All Hedorah had to do was fly around in the air to suffocate and kill tons of people with sulfuric mist. It doesn't help that he's pretty much immortal.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

EmperorGhidorah
Gotengo Officer

Post by EmperorGhidorah »

The way in which Legion's swarm and Irys killed their human victims was quite brutal. I guess that makes them frightening.
"In the Name of God, impure souls of the living dead shall be banished to eternal damnation. Amen."

PRIMEVAL
Gotengo Officer

Post by PRIMEVAL »

Minilla. Dear God, please don't let it touch me!

Tyrant28
JXSDF Technician

Post by Tyrant28 »

I only really find small kaiju scary such as the Legion soldiers or Clover's parasites. But Iris and the Gyaos were pretty terrifying because they attacked and killed individual people.
MrRockett wrote: They are a sticky bunch for sure. In 2014 all the guys were gathered around the Gravity booth to get a glimpse and maybe an autograph from Sandra Bullock. Some ass jockey decided to not crop dust the crowd, dude let off some straight napalm and cleared a 20 ft radius and didn’t flinch, he just moved up closer. I prayed Sandra wouldn’t catch a whiff, talk about Endgame....just gross.

KaijuFiend
Rainbowzilla

Post by KaijuFiend »

Hedorah because of how easily she can kill you. Ghidorah because a cackling planet-razer is pretty fucked up. Gyaos because of how easily they can hunt and kill humans. Gigan is fairly creepy-looking. And here's an oddball pick: Megalon. I often squish roaches while I'm on a walk and let me tell you, a stomp usually doesn't take these guys out. I have to make sure I completely smush them, often dragging their entrails across the sidewalk. Now imagine that 55 meters tall, equipped also with drills and spit-bombs :freak: So while Megalon may not be scary in Godzilla vs Megalon because he's handled so goofily, such a creature would be pretty terrifying if handled correctly.

Vatarian
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Vatarian »

Are we going for design, here, or just concept?

If design, then MUTOs, Destroyah, and Hedorah.

If in execution, then Hedorah, Destroyah, and Mutos.

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

AND THIS WAS A KID SHOW! HOLY SHIT!
Imagine getting angry your out of date and obsolete stats for rubber suit monsters were 'stolen'.

Jatahaxe
Interpol Agent

Post by Jatahaxe »

Hedorah. Those moments where his sludge suddenly invades an area, instantly rendering what was just seconds ago a lively, populated place into a sickeningly silent, toxic mud-caked graveyard. And the fact that the threatens to turn the whole world into that. Watching him skeletonize a human just for breathing near him isn't much better.
On a slightly lesser note, any kaiju that straight up eats you like Rodan, Gaira or Gyaos. Horrifying way to go.
Monsters are the real people.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

I'm so used to Rodan being an anti-hero I keep forgetting that he was once a human eating villain.

MechaGodzillaShowa
Samurai

Post by MechaGodzillaShowa »

Hedorah, Battra, Biollante, Destoroyah, and King Ghidorah are my scariest Kaiju Monsters in my book.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Living Corpse wrote:I'm so used to Rodan being an anti-hero I keep forgetting that he was once a human eating villain.
Well technically there's a good chance that Rodan is dead and the anti hero one is seperate. Also did Rodan ever explcitly eat anyone? I remember there being a scene where he flies over a mountain and picks off a young couple who were taking photographs. I think that's pretty tame and it wasn't like Rodan is known for being a people eater.

Compare that Gyaos who even in the Showa Gamera series was pretty scary. He had those long range beams and just shot this plane out of the sky. Later in the film he attacks the city, picks up a few people and just straight up eats them on screen. If you consider Rodan scary then Gyaos has to be worse because he's pretty much Rodan 2.0.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Well, they've found human bones on the mountains in the film, but I guess the original Rodans just picking up people and dropping them to their deaths because of "protecting territory" isn't implausible.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Living Corpse wrote:Well, they've found human bones on the mountains in the film, but I guess the original Rodans just picking up people and dropping them to their deaths because of "protecting territory" isn't implausible.
Eh, I think bones is evident they got eaten. Dropping someone to their deaths would leave a corpse. But I don't think Rodan is remembered as a people eater specifically because it only happened once (off screen) and Rodan also ate tons of meganulon. Compare that to Gyaos who ate people on screen, never became an anti hero, and his man eating habits were even more exemplified in the Heisei Gamera films.

EmperorGhidorah
Gotengo Officer

Post by EmperorGhidorah »

Speaking of Rodan, those meganulon were pretty silly looking but committed some gruesome killings. Silly but murderous. That's pretty creepy.
"In the Name of God, impure souls of the living dead shall be banished to eternal damnation. Amen."

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

EmperorGhidorah wrote:Speaking of Rodan, those meganulon were pretty silly looking but committed some gruesome killings. Silly but murderous. That's pretty creepy.
Especially when one of them just throws a dude down the mountain.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

^ That's what we call an act of spite, that wasn't even for food or anything he just throw that go down the hill cause F you for hurting me.
LSD Jellyfish wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:Well, they've found human bones on the mountains in the film, but I guess the original Rodans just picking up people and dropping them to their deaths because of "protecting territory" isn't implausible.
Eh, I think bones is evident they got eaten. Dropping someone to their deaths would leave a corpse. But I don't think Rodan is remembered as a people eater specifically because it only happened once (off screen) and Rodan also ate tons of meganulon. Compare that to Gyaos who ate people on screen, never became an anti hero, and his man eating habits were even more exemplified in the Heisei Gamera films.
Yeah and in GTTHM that Rodan immeditly fought Godzilla and later turned into a sort of hero for the rest of the series before he could follow his predecessors footsteps. DAM had him eating mutant sized dolphins. Even in the Heisei series when they returned the character to being a villain he just killed people instead of eating them.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I'm surprised this hasn't been brought up yet, considering how he's the star of the series, but a lot of Godzilla incarnations are legitimately very terrifying. Specifically Godzilla 1954(who has a terrifying look and had the most haunting destruction scenes), Godzilla 1984 who was in a bleak and downright cynical film and GMK Godzilla who pretty much killed anyone he saw and went out of his way to destroy random shit (the hospital).

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Few kaiju have scared me, but a few of them would be a nightmare if real. GMK Godzilla deliberately targeted people, and the white eyes are creepy. Hedorah is worse, however. The walking and flying sludge pile causes death and damage just by existing, and it could have grown much stronger if it hadn't been killed. Kumonga is also quite the frightening giant. When hungry, it will go after anything that moves, human or kaiju.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.