Godzilla's Gender: Voice your opinion (and don't be a jerk)

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”

What is your opinion on Godzilla's gender?

I think Godzilla is a male only
65%
I think Godzilla is a male, but I'm fine if he is interpreted as female
10%
I think Godzilla is a female only
1%
I think Godzilla is a female, but I'm fine if she is interpreted as male
1%
I think Godzilla can be interpreted with either gender
10%
I think Godzilla has no gender, only RAGE
12%
Other (please specify)
3%

Total votes: 113

BlankAccount
Sazer

Re: Godzilla's Gender: Voice your opinion (and don't be a j

Post by BlankAccount »

Honestly I didn't even notice the typo till you pointed it out, my brain corrected it for me in my head so it didn't even register to me.

M.U.T.O.
Futurian

Post by M.U.T.O. »

Anyone remember Gojirin?
What do you call it when a railroad engineer moves toward a psychic?
Spoiler:
Approach Medium.

M.o.g.u.e.r.a14
EDF Instructor

Post by M.o.g.u.e.r.a14 »

Living Corpse wrote:Honestly I didn't even notice the typo till you pointed it out, my brain corrected it for me in my head so it didn't even register to me.
It's alright. And, Isn't Godzilla always male?
Fan of Godzilla, Pacific Rim, Sailor Moon, and Transformers.
Dezerb wrote: buenos ding dong didily dias senor.
http://i.imgur.com/PpE0DEQ.gif

Moguera14 X Sailor Moon

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

There's been a few times I heard people both in film and real life call him an it.

Greyshot151
KWC Contributor

Post by Greyshot151 »

Huh, until recently I always thought the 54 version was female due to some off topic comment I read. While in reality I am 99% sure that Godzilla is always depicted as male, I do like the idea of 54 being female. Kinda makes what happens in the rest of the showa series make a little more sense, but again, that is my view which I realize is not supported by fact.
"...A great love is a lot like a good memory. When it's there, and you know it's there, but it's just out of your reach, it can be all that you think about. You can focus on it, and try to force it, but the more you do, the more you seem to push it away. But if you're patient, and you hold still, then maybe... Just maybe... It will come to you."
—Epsilon

Vatarian
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Vatarian »

No gender, only rage.

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

Vatarian wrote:No gender, only rage.
Resized Image
Godzilla

Saansilt
Futurian

Post by Saansilt »

Godzillera shuld be a female but tohjo is so focused on NIPPONESE MALE SUPERIORITY that they no check pivlegas and ignore that things like WOMAN'S RIGHTS exsist and focus on making the rage case dinosaur lizard thing adude as a deliberate "come at us" to the heroic SJWs fighting the true ills of all socities.

( I'm certain Godzilla was to have a female companion at one point, or a female counterpart rival like in the showa "A Space Godzilla" planned flick.)
Gawdziller wrote:I fully endorse this comment.
Chris55 wrote: Anyone else hear Groundskeeper Willie when they read that?
My One Shot, "That Which was Before":
http://tohokingdom.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=22367

GODZILLA LIKE YOU'VE NEVER SEEN HIM BEFORE!
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=25688

Young Guy
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Young Guy »

I see him as a male.In my headcanon his sons are adopted.

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

Young Guy wrote:I see him as a male.In my headcanon his sons are adopted.
Your headcanon is real they are adopted.
Godzilla

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

The only time I think someone from Toho said any Godzilla was female was Haru Nakajima who after a few years of playing Godzilla, said the first one he liked to view as a female, and a possible way to explain Minya.
Imagine getting angry your out of date and obsolete stats for rubber suit monsters were 'stolen'.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Vatarian wrote:No gender, only rage.
I'd be pissed too if the nuke blasted off my penis.

Moguera24
Monsterland Worker

Post by Moguera24 »

Great to see so many of you respond. How about a follow up query:

Since the general consensus is that Godzilla is male (as supported by Toho itself) would any of you be upset if Godzilla was portrayed as female, whether in fan works or by Toho itself?

I could honestly care less about whether Godzilla is a guy or girl, as long as the creator stays true to Godzilla's character.
I have a tumblr I guess:http://monoclemogu.tumblr.com
I don't know why anyone would want to follow me, but it's here if you're in desperate need of Godzilla/general nerdiness content on your dashboard.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Saansilt wrote:
( I'm certain Godzilla was to have a female companion at one point, or a female counterpart rival like in the showa "A Space Godzilla" planned flick.)
Well, I guess Biollante fills the latter roles since she was part Godzilla and, well, they did not get along.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Moguera24 wrote:Great to see so many of you respond. How about a follow up query:

Since the general consensus is that Godzilla is male (as supported by Toho itself) would any of you be upset if Godzilla was portrayed as female, whether in fan works or by Toho itself?

I could honestly care less about whether Godzilla is a guy or girl, as long as the creator stays true to Godzilla's character.
In fan works? Don't see why that'd be a bother. There was a "Queen Ghidorah" in something somewhat recently, and that looked cool.

If Toho made a female Godzilla, that could be a fun route. I'd be very interested in seeing that, if only because I'd be endlessly curious on where they'd take it. Only downside I could see is that people would get pissy with Godzilla being generalized as the "King of the Monsters" while having a female incarnation :P
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

Starsteam
Keizer

Post by Starsteam »

I'd be fine if there was a rendition of Godzilla that was female. I don't think it would be too different unless they really tried to force a difference out of it.

But I honestly have no interest in a story where Godzilla finds a mate :/ Romantic monsters aren't my cup of tea. Unless it's interestingly pulled off like the MUTOs.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

^ Hence why I said a rival Godzilla that just happens to be female.

A great plot twist could be they discover a female, and try to end Godzilla's rampage by luring the two together so they hopeful go to the ocean together but instead of getting all lovey dovey like they hoped they end up just fighting and causing more destruction. Opps, they never stopped to think that there is a mating season and outside of it males and females fight all the time.

And they fight all over Japan, cause, they're can only be one.

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

There's no real need to change his gender/sex. That would only had upon an already existing mountain of confusion. Which is kind of odd considering this is one of the most consistent things of all the films, excluding the appearance of a radioactive reptile.

Gerdzerl

Post by Gerdzerl »

Moguera24 wrote:Great to see so many of you respond. How about a follow up query:

I could totally go for a female Godzilla incarnation tbh. Don't really see how having a dick is important to his character.

It'd admittedly be pretty fuckin' hilarious to see people lose their shit over one incarnation of Goji being canonically female. :lol:

Jatahaxe
Interpol Agent

Post by Jatahaxe »

Luckily reptiles keep their genitals on the inside ;)

Toho recognizes him as a male, characters inexplicably refer to him as a "he" and "him". All of these things lead me to believe he is male. Either way, G himself doesn't seem to care.

Regarding Minya and Godzilla's other "children", I thought they weren't necessarily direct offspring of Godzilla, but rather remnants from his time that somehow survived along with him like Anguirus. Only they belong to his same species. Also, who says he has to be their "mother" (excluding Zilla)? Maybe he is actually their father, and there's a completely untouched plot detail that he once had a mate.
kamilleblu wrote:There's no real need to change his gender/sex. That would only had upon an already existing mountain of confusion. Which is kind of odd considering this is one of the most consistent things of all the films, excluding the appearance of a radioactive reptile.
I agree.
Monsters are the real people.