GODZILLA (1994): Jan De Bont's Unmade TriStar Film Part 3

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
BlankAccount
Sazer

Re: GODZILLA (1994): Jan De Bont's Unmade TriStar Film Part

Post by BlankAccount »

kpa wrote:
MDK wrote:inb4 people start clamoring that Emmerich and Dean are just "victims" of Sony wanting to Americanize Godzilla
I've already seen a few people make comments to that effect, but I suspect that will change after Part 4 is released next Sunday. Roland Emmerich and Dean Devlin made exactly the movie they wanted to, and they dictated most of the terms of how that film was made and marketed.

What happened is a studio that preferred an Americanized Godzilla met with two hot filmmakers who had no interest in doing a Godzilla movie unless they could completely Americanize it. The end result was a perfect example of "be careful what you wish for".
I'd probably still be more mad at the higher ups. Cause they didn't get there without being hired. And they at least turned it down the first time instead of jumping at it the first time.
gigan72 wrote:I really wish this was made. Sounded great and looked great, but instead we got 1998...
It sucks when someone who is not familiar with the series asks me why fans were so let down by this movie. Cause I try to explain it in laymans term cause I know they don't want a fucking 30 minute history lesson but a lot of them still don't get it or think fans are exaggerating.

In other words the most frustrating thing to me is trying to explain to someone why it's frustrating and they don't get why it is and it just makes it more frustrating. Like don't ask me then if you're just gonna let everything I say go over your head. I only know one other G fan in RL, so yeah, outside of him, people online like this forum are the only ones I can even talk to about this, cause everyone else who asks me just feels like they are blowing my disappointment off, even when I try using something they like as an example and imagine if they changed it completely.

Godzilla6014
G-Force Personnel

Post by Godzilla6014 »

Just goes to show a person that in the end it all bows down to making money. It's not about what's right or wrong they didn't care. Oh well what can we do it already happened. We at least have something to look forward to in 2016 right? The first actual Japanese Godzilla film we had in a long time.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

Wow, great article and I'm legit shocked to learn that that's how things played out. Sony understood so little about the project that they wanted to cut the Gryphon? That it was Sony, not D&E alone, that wanted the more T-Rex like Godzilla? Geez...

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Godzilla6014 wrote:Just goes to show a person that in the end it all bows down to making money. It's not about what's right or wrong they didn't care. Oh well what can we do it already happened. We at least have something to look forward to in 2016 right? The first actual Japanese Godzilla film we had in a long time.
Ironic considering money is what they would have been making had they not changed it. -_-

bczilla91
Monarch Researcher

Post by bczilla91 »

Considering I was born in '91 it just makes me so sick knowing that I could have been part of the generation where Jurassic Park and Godzilla ruled the box office the same way Marvel does now

I mean just think of what the merchandise would have been like alone. Say what you will about the '98 movie but the toy line was actually really well done. Now just imagine if the toys had been of the Stan Winston Godzilla and Gryphon

Dillyziller
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Dillyziller »

bczilla91 wrote:Considering I was born in '91 it just makes me so sick knowing that I could have been part of the generation where Jurassic Park and Godzilla ruled the box office the same way Marvel does now

I mean just think of what the merchandise would have been like alone. Say what you will about the '98 movie but the toy line was actually really well done. Now just imagine if the toys had been of the Stan Winston Godzilla and Gryphon
Stop making me cry over this movies nonexistence even more. :'(
^This post in sexually offensive.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

I wonder what Godzilla's breath would have been like in this movie.

I gotta say while not a fan of the green, I do like the bumpy skin and how the spikes have layers that overlap.