when tv stations use to air Godzilla 1985

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
tenup
G-Force Personnel

when tv stations use to air Godzilla 1985

Post by tenup »

I remember back in the late 80s up until the mid 90s when Godzilla 1985 would air on tv I would enjoy watching it more so than popping in my vhs copy. Reason for this was because I knew that watching it as it played on tv I was not the only one enjoying the viewing (someone out there was tuned in with me). Anyone else have memories of this? Also I believe the last time 85 aired was in 98 but would occassionally come on 4 years prior.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Re: when tv stations use to air Godzilla 1985

Post by Pkmatrix »

It used to play on WPIX-11 out of New York when I was a kid, that's how I first saw it and how I became a Godzilla fan. :)

PRIMEVAL
Gotengo Officer

Post by PRIMEVAL »

I remember seeing it sometime before 1996 on TV. My dad was taping it as I watched it. Still have that ol' VHS. Scared me as a kid.

kpa
G-Grasper

Post by kpa »

New World Pictures syndicated GODZILLA 1985 to television and it aired regularly on TV from 1986 until the mid-late 1990s. After New World's TV library was sold to Warner Bros., Warners offered GODZILLA 1985 to the Monsters HD channel where it was shown in the early 2000s. The TV rights expired several years ago and are now held by Toho.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Yeah I have a bootleg DVD of the Monsters HD showing of the film. It's not the best picture ever but more than serviceable compared to not having it at all.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

My mom and I saw it on tv, must have been 2000 after I saw Godzilla 2000 in theaters. We watched the opening scene and I got really scared after the scene with the gross post-Shokirus dead body happened. My mom shut it off after that, wish she had kept it on :(.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

three
Keizer

Post by three »

no, but i remember when they aired G 1998, and for me that film brings about the same sentiment. '98 is like my generation's '85 haha.
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

Gojira is:Very Hiroshima®
axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

sir isaac newton is the deadliest son - of - a - bitch in space.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I don't remember the last time I saw it on tv. It could have been TBS or some station that usually showed sci fi and monster films on Saturday afternoons. It been years. I would mostly watch my vhs of the movie, though.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

KaijuFiend
Rainbowzilla

Post by KaijuFiend »

I have no memories of it airing on TV. Didn't follow TV airings of Godzilla films closely for some reason. Which is a shame, as this is one of the best G-films.

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

Channel 58 (KSCH, I believe) in Stockton, CA used to show sci-fi/horror movies on Saturday evenings at 10 p.m. in a 2-hour time slot. They once showed Godzilla 1985. I had already acquired it on VHS by then, though.

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

I remember seeing it played a few times on Channel 50 in Detroit in the late 80's early 90's. They made a big deal when it premiered on the 8 o'clock movie. But after that there wasn't much Godzilla films being soon on the UHF channels around Detroit.

tenup
G-Force Personnel

Post by tenup »

three wrote:no, but i remember when they aired G 1998, and for me that film brings about the same sentiment. '98 is like my generation's '85 haha.
HOW DARE YOU! :mad:

three
Keizer

Post by three »

tenup wrote:
three wrote:no, but i remember when they aired G 1998, and for me that film brings about the same sentiment. '98 is like my generation's '85 haha.
meh. if you're not part of my generation (which doesn't even clearly define who's in it), don't get mad. get glad with new glad plug ins! :D

no, really. the same feelings you have for '85 on TV, i have for the much maligned tristar production. it's funny that i understand it so well, even though i have never experienced the '85 movie telecast.
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

tenup
G-Force Personnel

Post by tenup »

three wrote:
tenup wrote:
meh. if you're not part of my generation (which doesn't even clearly define who's in it), don't get mad. get glad with new glad plug ins! :D

no, really. the same feelings you have for '85 on TV, i have for the much maligned tristar production. it's funny that i understand it so well, even though i have never experienced the '85 movie telecast.
No i understand three. Its just as a Godzilla fan i instinctively found your statement offensive... I joke

three
Keizer

Post by three »

no trouble at all, man. i kinda figured. :huge:

Creature22
EDF Instructor

Post by Creature22 »

I never saw Godzilla 1985 on television, but I didn't have cable either. I did rent it numerous times from my local video store, however, and it was always one of my favorites (nothing like a grizzled Raymond Burr coming back to stare dramatically into space). Too bad I never managed to actually buy myself a copy.

Gojirahawk
Young Farmer

Post by Gojirahawk »

Hello first time poster

Back in the I think was the early 90s .. 1991 maybe .. my mum taped a broadcast of Godzilla 1985 off Australian network Channel 10 for me. It was a late night screening don’t know which day. My mum did not know how to work the timer so she just put in a 4 hour blank VHS tape and recorded when the movie started and went to bed (there was an 1980s episode of WWF Superstars immediately after it)

Anyway the interesting thing is why I came to post here, cause I scoured the internet for evidence of this and I can’t find any videos or other people that have seen this so I’m posting here to see if anyone else other the me, my siblings, my mum, and a few friends I have lost touch with.

The movie had wrap around segments featuring ‘Mistress of the Dark’ Elvira .. she introduced the movie, and at the end she did a little bit showing off Godzilla merchandise (which featured a Godzilla Air Freshener which she says smells like Tokyo Burning). Now it’s been nearly 30 years since I last saw this, it could have been a knock off Elvira. But I sure it was her (I can think of obvious aspect of her I remember ;) )

Anyone else seen this?

SpiderZilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by SpiderZilla »

Gojirahawk wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 4:58 pm Hello first time poster

Back in the I think was the early 90s .. 1991 maybe .. my mum taped a broadcast of Godzilla 1985 off Australian network Channel 10 for me. It was a late night screening don’t know which day. My mum did not know how to work the timer so she just put in a 4 hour blank VHS tape and recorded when the movie started and went to bed (there was an 1980s episode of WWF Superstars immediately after it)

Anyway the interesting thing is why I came to post here, cause I scoured the internet for evidence of this and I can’t find any videos or other people that have seen this so I’m posting here to see if anyone else other the me, my siblings, my mum, and a few friends I have lost touch with.

The movie had wrap around segments featuring ‘Mistress of the Dark’ Elvira .. she introduced the movie, and at the end she did a little bit showing off Godzilla merchandise (which featured a Godzilla Air Freshener which she says smells like Tokyo Burning). Now it’s been nearly 30 years since I last saw this, it could have been a knock off Elvira. But I sure it was her (I can think of obvious aspect of her I remember ;) )

Anyone else seen this?
I did a little sleuthing of my own. Here’s what I turned up.

IMDb says that Godzilla 1985 was released in Australia in March of 1986, so a TV broadcast in 1990 or 1991 isn’t out of the question. However Wikipedia says that Elvira stopped hosting movies in 1986 and didn’t resume again until 2010, so whoever hosted the broadcast was unlikely to be the real Elvira.

Gojirahawk
Young Farmer

Post by Gojirahawk »

SpiderZilla wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 5:56 pm
Gojirahawk wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 4:58 pm Hello first time poster

Anyone else seen this?
I did a little sleuthing of my own. Here’s what I turned up.

IMDb says that Godzilla 1985 was released in Australia in March of 1986, so a TV broadcast in 1990 or 1991 isn’t out of the question. However Wikipedia says that Elvira stopped hosting movies in 1986 and didn’t resume again until 2010, so whoever hosted the broadcast was unlikely to be the real Elvira.
Thank you for your sleuthing.

It could have been a knock off of Elvira.. could have been a “eyes up here” thing LUL . But I remember this was the first time I saw “Elvira” and now I think it may have been maybe 89 or 90 cause I went to video rental place with my dad and brother and they had a poster for the Elvira movie up, and I said “look it’s the spooky lady from the Godzilla video!”

The Elvira movie came out in 1988 and video rental maybe a year or two later… unless it was an old poster it could have been 1991 or later.
Last edited by Gojirahawk on Sat Oct 29, 2022 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.