What happened to the Godzilla suits?

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
M.o.g.u.e.r.a14
EDF Instructor

Re: What happened to the Godzilla suits?

Post by M.o.g.u.e.r.a14 »

Young Guy wrote:
Legion1979 wrote:The photo of the discarded Showa suits isn't a picture of the suits at all. Those are statues. There ARE several pictures from the '70s of rotting monster suits out there, but these aren't them.
I'm glad that picture is fake. It's sad and depressing to see them like that. Even Gaira's hand prop is there!
I don't really mind Gaira anyway. He already looked like that. :lol:

And for the millennium, I'm glad they're still ok.
Fan of Godzilla, Pacific Rim, Sailor Moon, and Transformers.
Dezerb wrote: buenos ding dong didily dias senor.
http://i.imgur.com/PpE0DEQ.gif

Moguera14 X Sailor Moon

KaijuFiend
Rainbowzilla

Post by KaijuFiend »

I'm glad some of the more recent suits are being preserved. I have some Halloween props that seem to be made out of the same stuff the suits are made of: rubber, latex, foam, and they're in bad shape. Don't think we've had them for ten years, even. So let's hope Toho's means of preserving the suits keep them around a long time.

Young Guy
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Young Guy »

LegendZilla wrote:^ Godzilla loosing to Mothra back in '64 was enough. I know Godzilla loosing is one thing, but that does NOT change the fact that Toho needs to cut the crap with Mothra beating him now and then once and for all.
And how is that at all relevant?

SoleMan
G-Grasper

Post by SoleMan »

This is a little off-topic, but I have a question about the suit function:

How did Godzilla's eyes move? I know in several films you can clearly see his eyes shift across, as though he's looking from side to side. My cousin and I got in an argument about it. He insisted that it was the result of a rod shoved up the head and moved by hand. I always thought it was remote controlled, like the rest of the head.
Before it can be filmed, drawn, acted or programed, it must be written.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

SoleMan wrote:This is a little off-topic, but I have a question about the suit function:

How did Godzilla's eyes move? I know in several films you can clearly see his eyes shift across, as though he's looking from side to side. My cousin and I got in an argument about it. He insisted that it was the result of a rod shoved up the head and moved by hand. I always thought it was remote controlled, like the rest of the head.
They are remote controlled

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Godzillian wrote:
SoleMan wrote:This is a little off-topic, but I have a question about the suit function:

They are remote controlled
Not the Showa suits...

M.o.g.u.e.r.a14
EDF Instructor

Is there a picture of how the King ghidorah suit works?

Moguera14 X Sailor Moon

Beef Bigshot
Xilien Halfling

Post by Beef Bigshot »

M.o.g.u.e.r.a14 wrote:Is there a picture of how the King ghidorah suit works?
Lots of wires...like alot. The guy in the suit basically just sits inside and stands there while everyone else does all the work. There is a metal bar in the chest for the guy to hold on to as well. That's about it
Resized Image

M.o.g.u.e.r.a14
EDF Instructor

How about the Biollante suit.

Moguera14 X Sailor Moon

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Any estimate on how much we could purchase a suit for?
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

M.o.g.u.e.r.a14 wrote:How about the Biollante suit.
Both long gone. The rose version was set on fire and allowed to burn away completely during filming and the second version was held on to for a little while before they finally disposed of it.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:Any estimate on how much we could purchase a suit for?
Toho isn't selling any and probably never will

Beef Bigshot
Xilien Halfling

Post by Beef Bigshot »

Legion1979 wrote:
Both long gone. The rose version was set on fire and allowed to burn away completely during filming and the second version was held on to for a little while before they finally disposed of it.
I think he means how it worked. I could be wrong but whatever. Biollanted basically worked the same way as ghidorah with a dude standing inside and guys with wired controlling most of everything
Resized Image

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

Beef Bigshot wrote:
Legion1979 wrote:
I think he means how it worked. I could be wrong but whatever. Biollanted basically worked the same way as ghidorah with a dude standing inside and guys with wired controlling most of everything
Yep, there are some pictures floating around. If you've got a copy of the Biollante Blu-Ray, it's got the Making Of featurette that shows how big Biollante was and how many people it took (it looked like a dozen!).

Shadowsonic5000
Ronin

Post by Shadowsonic5000 »

I wonder if the Showa suits are in some warehouse, it would be pretty cool to check.
Last edited by Shadowsonic5000 on Thu May 07, 2015 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Shadowsonic5000 wrote:I wonder if the Showa suits are in some warehouse, it would be pretty cool the check.
98% of all the showa stuff is gone. Select props from suits are still around though like anguirus's spiked shell and gigans buzz saw.

Shadowsonic5000
Ronin

Post by Shadowsonic5000 »

Godzillian wrote:
Shadowsonic5000 wrote:I wonder if the Showa suits are in some warehouse, it would be pretty cool the check.
98% of all the showa stuff is gone. Select props from suits are still around though like anguirus's spiked shell and gigans buzz saw.
Oh well too bad, but it is good that some of the props survived.

Young Guy
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Young Guy »

What happened to the Millennium suits like Orga and Megaguirus? Are they still around?

Creature22
EDF Instructor

Post by Creature22 »

I think a lot of the newer Godzilla suits and some of the Heisei stuff gets refurbished after awhile, mainly for display purposes. Not to mention that it's a lot easier now to preserve them than it was during the Showa era. There are still some Showa props left and I believe the head of Godzilla 1968 is still around but most of those things have been lost to time.
There is also more than one suit made for certain monsters so some of them get completely battered up while others are taken care of for future use.

I know that the original 1954 suit became very worn out after filming and was later stuffed and displayed when the film was finished. It was likely tossed after that.

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

I guess in some ways the Black Hole Aliens were right about MechaGodzilla being "A Weapon to surpass Godzilla". being that MechaG's suit is still around and how it outlasted every other Showa suit by decades.
Godzilla