Top 5 Godzilla villains

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
{---HYPERZeTToN---}
G-Force Personnel

Top 5 Godzilla villains

Post by {---HYPERZeTToN---} »

So since I couldn't find a thread just like this, I decided to create this myself since I would love to find out everybody's perspective on which Godzilla villains are their personal favorites.

RULES:

Pick your top 5 villains that faced the King of the Monsters, You may have a least favorite list and honorable mentions list if you desire, explain your choices IF YOU'D LIKE TO (honestly preferred), ONLY MONSTERS WITH AN EVIL PORTRAYAL, HAVE APPEARED IN A GODZILLA MOVIE, AND/OR HAVE ATTACKED GODZILLA AND HUMAN CIVILIZATION

BANNED LIST:

- Anguirus Showa (Post '55)
- All Mothra's
- Minya/Baby Godzilla/Little Godzilla/Godzilla Junior/Minilla
- Gorosaurus
- Baragon (DAM)
- Varan (DAM)
- Jet Jaguar
- King Caesar (Showa)
- Mechagodzilla (Heisei)/Kiryu (Both were created to save the world and stop Godzilla, not humanity)
- Moguera (Heisei)
- Baragon (Millennium)
- King Ghidorah (Millennium)
- Kamoebas (Millennium)
- Manda (Millennium)

MY LIST:

5. Monster X - A very intimidating opponent who would send chills down most monster's spines but a little too humanoid for the Godzillaverse. Plus he was the only monster to match power and strength with FinalGoji.

4. Battra Larva - The Dark Moth. The Yin to Mothra's Yang. My Lord Battra. Now yes, he was created to protect the Earth but ONLY the Earth, not Humans. He believes we trashed his planet and seeks vengeance upon all of us. In his larval form, he fought Godzilla to a standstill underwater until they were sucked in by an underwater fissure. He tanked 3 atomic rays to the face. That's a sign of sheer durability. If it wasn't for that fissure, I believe Godzilla would've slightly won or both monsters would've exhausted themselves to the point where they both had to stop battling. Both weren't showing any sign of giving up. And I love Battra for it.

3. Destoroyah - How could he not be on this list?? The most sadistic, sinister, bulky, big red devil I've ever layed eyes on. He brought the pain to Burning Godzilla and almost won if wasn't for the meltdown. Did I forget what he did to his son? Yeah, not gonna get into that..

2. Mechagodzilla '74 - One of my all time favorite villains in general. This mechanical nightmare brought the fight to Godzilla AND King Caesar. Hand to Mouth raping a Golem? Brutal. All Out Assault Arsenal? Insane. Revolver Missile finger tips? Beast. Starter of first beam clash ever? Boss. Putting missile darts into Godzilla and making him bleed out everywhere including 3 puncture wounds in the neck? Absolutely Tyrannical. The original Mechagodzilla is just hands down one the best mechs ever created since ever.

1. Spacegodzilla - My all time favorite Godzilla villain. Nasty, powerful, sinister, intergalactic, and an array of powers and abilities in his arsenal like no other. Plus his unlimited energy supply is a nice touch. His look is really awesome to me. The only flaw is the bulk. Could've been slimmed down so the actor could move around freely and act more badass. Spacegodzilla is like the Raditz of the Godzillaverse but came later in the series which makes him stronger in a way. All in all, he's always been my personal fave Godzilla villain and I don't expect that to change for a long time if ever.

Now I want to know your list! Think about it, analyze it, finalize it, post it. I want to see everybody else's wonderful opinions on who's up there as Godzilla's top 5 villains. LMK! Thanks TohoKingdom!!! :huge: :g2k: :monsterx: :mechagodzilla: :spacegodzilla:
Last edited by {---HYPERZeTToN---} on Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Top 5 Godzilla villains

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

1. Biollante
2. Titanosaurus
3. King Ghidorah Millenium....

Why do you have such arbitrary rules?
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

{---HYPERZeTToN---}
G-Force Personnel

Post by {---HYPERZeTToN---} »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:1. Biollante
2. Titanosaurus
3. King Ghidorah Millenium....

Why do you have such arbitrary rules?
Yeah I had this coming..hold on a second. King Ghiddy Millennium isn't getting lifted from the ban. He was a Yamato Guardian and a protecter in his movie. Goji was definitely the villain in that film. Just saiyan..

Moguera24
Monsterland Worker

Post by Moguera24 »

5. Destoroyah: His design looks cool (if not a little overcomplicated) and his motives, or lack thereof, make him an awesome villain. Just like his name implies, all he wants is destruction.

4. Spacegodzilla: I can imagine this guy being the sort of villain who twists his mustache/goatee whilst laughing evilly. I used to think his design was dumb, and I still sort of think it is, but all the great redesigns have made me grow to appreciate him.

3. Mechagodzilla: The '70's classic and my favorite MechaG incarnation. Something about blocky retro mechs really interests me.

2. King Ghirdorah: The ultimate foe to Godzilla should belong on everyone's list. The unique and iconic design, roar, and powers have made him an enduring mainstay to the cast of G-kaiju.

1. Gigan & Megalon: Call it cheating, but I love these two too much to list them separate. They work so well as a villainous duo. Among a villains gallery filled with serious and cruel world-destroyers, it's great to have these two chucklef***s yuckin' it up.
I have a tumblr I guess:http://monoclemogu.tumblr.com
I don't know why anyone would want to follow me, but it's here if you're in desperate need of Godzilla/general nerdiness content on your dashboard.

Noble Saber
Xilien Halfling

Post by Noble Saber »

5. Gigan - Quite possibly the most bizarre Kaiju in the Godzilla series, Gigan, with his unique design and bumbling personality, makes for a memorable villain.

4. GMK Goji - Most incarnations of Godzilla aren't evil by heart, but not GMK Goji. Going out of his way to attack fleeing humans, this Godzilla's sole purpose is to take revenge on humanity. Along with a sinister and nasty look, Sokogekigoji wants nothing more than to inflict terror on his victims, which makes him my favorite version of Godzilla thus far.

3. SpaceGodzilla - Make fun of his design all you want, but SpaceGodzilla is an unforgettable villain. Like GMK Goji, SpaceGodzilla is pure malice, going so far as to kidnap Godzilla's son in order to kill his rival. With a few design changes, SpaceGodzilla could be the ultimate villain.

2. MechaGodzilla (Showa) - How do you kill Godzilla? By making your own one, of course! MechaGodzilla is armed to the teeth with weapons designed to slaughter: Eye beams, electrical charges, rockets, missiles. There's no kill like overkill. MechaGodzilla also holds the honor of being in the first Godzilla movie I saw, which greatly adds to his cool factor personally for me.

1. King Ghidorah - Was it that much of a surprise? Being a planet-busting three-headed dragon from space already gets you on top 10 lists, but when you're Godzilla archenemy, you better believe you're getting in the top five. Ghidorah's a classic monster and one of the best in the franchise.

Honorable mentions:
Destoroyah - Really wanted to give him a spot in the list, but there was no room left. Ah, well

Orga - He's a little bit undermined by some of the other Godzilla foes, but he does the have the distinction of being the last monster that looked cool and wasn't a redesign. James Rolfe said it best, "[Orga] Probably the last new enemy of Godzilla that was actually pretty cool."

KaijuFiend
Rainbowzilla

Post by KaijuFiend »

5. Hokmuto and Femuto - These newcomers place low on my list, mostly because their being new hasn't given me time to form a nostalgic connection to them. Still, they are top contenders and were a much-needed addition to Godzilla 2014. They're both included here because, like Reese's chocolate and peanut butter, you can't have one without the other. :muto:

4. Biollante - Godzilla vs Biollante was the only Heisei film I had as a kid, and I grew up loving the film as well as Biollante herself. I'm a pretty big fan of plant monsters, and Biollante's design is as scary as it is excellent. From her abundance of creepy mouths to her glowing red center, Biollante is easily one of the best plant monsters ever put to film.

3. Gigan 72,73 and 04 - Probably the most bizarre design for a Godzilla kaiju to date (and considering we have things like Gabara and Hedorah, that's really saying something), but Gigan is bizarre in all the right ways. On paper he sounds like a mess: a cyborg alien with three fins/wings, hooks for hands, a weird red laser beam eye, and a buzzsaw belly. I don't know exactly why, maybe it's the over-abundance of creativity, but Gigan just works amazingly well. While I prefer the 72 design over the 04 design, 04 gets the nod here too for making interesting weaponry changes that brought something new to the character and worked pretty well. Gigan's unparalleled levels of awesome have propelled him to the status of one of the most recognized and iconic Godzilla villains, and managing to do so when the films he has appeared in haven't been all that great is a truly remarkable feat. :gigan:

2. MechaGodzilla 74 and 75 - Pretty much the same kaiju in both films, but MechaGodzilla proved to be an outstanding adversary twice in a row. His design and the effects shots involving him are simply top-notch. Every inch of this metal monster is comprised of pure badassery, and goddamn does he have epic amounts of firepower. His theme, while a tad on the silly-sounding side, is my favorite theme out of all the villain themes because it's so upbeat and fun to listen to while not betraying MechaGodzilla's villainy. He's also the only Godzilla villain to have upset me a good bit as a kid, because him ripping Anguirus' jaw apart is just... *shivers* Vs MechaGodzilla has been one of my favorite Godzilla films by far for roughly two decades (I'm 25 years old), and with such a wonderful villain at the helm, it's easy to see why. :mechagodzilla:

1. Ghidorah (all incarnations except for 01) - To the surprise of absolutely no one, Ghidorah tops my list. Yes, it's the obvious, overused choice, but sometimes things are that way for a reason. Ghidorah just is Godzilla's adversary, no questions asked. He's the Lex Luthor to Superman, the Joker to Batman, he is the one, definitive, iconic villain that you simply cannot have a series of Godzilla films without. I feel that each incarnation is noteworthy in its own way. Showa King Ghidorah is largely the same throughout the Showa series, but is the original, has the signature cackle, and is incredibly difficult to defeat. Heisei King Ghidorah took an already-great design and improved upon it imo. Mecha King Ghidorah comes close to MechaGodzilla 74/5 levels of awesome, and is the only cyborg in the entire franchise where we know what it was as a purely organic creature. While I don't remember much about the first Rebirth of Mothra film and haven't seen the other two, Grand King Ghidorah and DesGhidorah definitely deserve nods for being great designs. I actually like Monster X's design and fighting style, as they make him a unique kaiju in the Godzillaverse, and while Keizer Ghidorah's design definitely needs work, even he is notable for being the only kaiju (along with Monster X who was his first form and thus counts as the same entity) able to withstand the overpowered FinalGoji for a good length of time. All in all, Ghidorah is simply the quintessential Godzilla villain, and at least one of his incarnations should be an automatic entry onto any top Godzilla villains list. :monsterx:

PRIMEVAL
Gotengo Officer

Post by PRIMEVAL »

1. Mechagodzilla - Just an all around badass with big guns. Sinister look (especially 1975) and the concept of a cyborg counterpart has always intrigued me.

2. Gigan - Even if he is a cyborg space chicken, the idea of a melee-only opponent who is essentially a living buzzsaw/Swiss army knife is just really cool.

3. Biollante - It's creepy, it's enormous, and its roar sends chills down the spine. Love it.

4. Hedorah - Another concept that I enjoy, a creature created from our pollution.

5. Destoroyah - A giant creature that looks like Satan incarnate and is essentially the living essence of death. What's not to love?

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

5. Gigan- This kaiju is sadistic, interesting in design, and has two films under his/her belt.

4. Megaguirus- Another sadistic monster, but unlike Gigan, this one doesn't run away. She is viscious and cunning, and one of the few enemies to knock a building on top of Godzilla.

3. Hedorah- This walking and flying pile of sludge pushed Godzilla to his limits. Hedorah is the toughest kaiju ever faced by Godzilla.

2. King Ghidorah - The three headed dragon has had the most struggle with Godzilla, with numerous attempted invasions. As Godzilla is Earth's defender, Ghidorah is the would be destroyer. They are opposites.

1. Showa Mechagodzilla- MG is the big, metal, evil twin of Godzilla. Its power and arsenal are incredible, and did a number on Godzilla and KC.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Vatarian
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Vatarian »

5: Spacegodzilla is powerful, blingy, and likes the kiddies.
4: Orga, the coalesced essence of an apparantly long-dead alien species, just wants Godzilla Senpai to notice it. Also, to consume his DNA and conquer this quadrant of the galaxy.
3: Showa Mechagodzilla gives no shits. He will finger you T O D E A T H. And he doesn't need a head to fuck your shit up.
2: King Ghidora may not be the best fighter tactically, despite having at least three brains, but he's fat and beam-spammy enough to be a powerful opponent regardless of continuity...
1: DESTOROYAH! DESTOROYAHHHH! DES-TOH-ROYAHHHHHH!

Gojira tai Mosura
G-Grasper

Post by Gojira tai Mosura »

5: SpaceGodzilla
Honestly, he's a pretty neat Heisei Villain. His sheer concept is so ridiculous that it's lovable and he's excruciatingly powerful. His reasons for stealing Godzilla's son are pretty much unknown at this point, but if I had to guess, once SpaceGodzilla took over Earth and got to do whatever he wanted, he'd visit Godzilla's Son.
Resized Image

4: Godzilla (1954)
What's not to love about this creepy villain who was supposed to teach the world about the power of a nuclear bomb? The fact that he'd kill you if he saw you.

3: Biollante
Does she really count as a villain? I'd say "Anti-Villain" over anything else, because she clearly had went out of her way to stop Godzilla (for vengeful purposes) instead of attacking humanity. Some kind of a tragic Anti-Villain I'd say. But apparently she's not banned so...
Biollante.

2: Battra
Again, wouldn't he technically be an Anti-Villain? Battra only wanted to protect the Earth, but his methods of doing so were to slay humanity because we were destroying his home that he needed to protect. He's the real good guy here. Not only that, there's a lot to go to with Battra, as he's quite complicated past design and attacks. He died in what was quite possibly the worst Heisei Godzilla Film, behind VS. Destoroyah. May he be remembered... maybe?

HONORABLE MENTION!
GMK Godzilla
He's Godzilla 1954 only with more action. I prefer more scary.
DISHONORABLE MENTIONS!
Destoroyah
Overrated, slow, bulky and "not a match for Godzilla" ( -The Dub), Destoroyah gets here. Killing Godzilla's son while the two were battling does not make you more evil or disgusting than the rest. Winning a Battle =/= "You're pure evil!" Personally, I liked his earlier forms more than his Final Form.

King Ghidorah
The supposed "planet buster" has never won a single fight against Godzilla, and has never been shown on screen to have that complete planet busting power. I don't like it when films lie to me.

Keizer Ghidorah
Pinata Ghidorah.

1: MechaGodzilla 1974
They really nailed a lot with this character. Upbeat, yet still pretty intimidating tune? Check. Awesome design? Check. Hilarious arsenal of weapons? Check. SHREEEEEEEAKK?! Checkity check check! If you don't love MechaGodzilla 1974, then you don't love what makes Godzilla so fun, so please leave this forum.
MechaGodzilla 1975 makes in for a close runner-up, especially with his ridiculous missiles now being able to uproot city blocks but unfortunately having Titanosaurus do most of the fighting and just standing there keeps him from getting there.
Gojira Tai Mosura: Clumsiest Toho Kingdom Member Ever.
I disappear for fifteen thousand minutes, come back for two seconds.

Mechagigan
Futurian

Post by Mechagigan »

5. Destroyah
Pretty much tailor-made to be Godzilla's killer, and man does he look the part. In James Rolfe's words, he looks like the freaking devil. He probably isn't Godzilla's strongest foe, though he does seem like one of the most intelligent, what with him killing Jr. to get a rise out of Godzilla and things like that. He got killed by the military, sure, but the military was really advanced by that point in the series. They almost took out Godzilla two movies before, so it oesn't seem impossible that they could kill Destroyah with enough work.

4. Monster X
For what he may lack in backstory and the such, he makes up for by being damn intimidating. He's essentially an amped up Seabozu mixed with Gigan's destructive nature. Combine his awesomely intimidating look and his impressive strength (holding your own against FW's Godzilla is quite the accomplishment), and you've got a pretty cool villain. I hope Toho resurrects him someday, though going by FW's infamous failure, I kind of doubt they ever will.

3. King Ghidorah - Showa
Showa's King Ghidorah is a great villain just for how insane he seems... he isn't destroying because he wants to or because he's told to, he's destroying because nobody can stop him. The way he wildly flails his heads firing beams wherever they shoot makes him intimidating for how little he cares about what he's doing and how it effects anyone or anything.

2. Gigan - Both versions
Gigan is a great villain for how immediately evil he is; he doesn't care about anything but winning the fight, for better or for worse. He's sadistic and overpowered... a deadly combination. FW Gigan seemed a bit more cocky than the Showa version, hence why his deaths were pretty much caused by himself; but, it fits with his nothing-but-evil attitude. Even if he isn't smart all the time, he's undoubtedly very strong and very evil.

1. MechaGodzilla - Showa
A killing machine, literally. His only goal is 'kill'; none of Gigan's cockiness, none of Ghidorah's madness - just cold, unfeeling battle. What I love about the Showa version is that despite the fact that he's as automated as any other robot, he still has such a personality. Both evil and impending, in way that makes him feel like Godzilla's perfect archenemy.

TheLastGezora
G-Force Personnel

Post by TheLastGezora »

5. Gigan
Merciless. Menacing. Sadistic. These are all words that describe Gigan. A truly unpredictable and sadistic kaiju that could induce fear in anyone, regardless of how bizarre he looks.

4. Hedorah
I sort of always viewed Hedorah as being a "spear counterpart" to Godzilla, seeing as they're both products of man's arrogance. However, one has become "good", and the other "evil". His range of abilities are impressive and he put up a strong resistance to Godzilla, strong enough that human intervention was required for his death.

3. Showa Mechagodzilla
A terrifying doppelganger that temporarily fooled the world into thinking Godzilla had gone bad. His massive weapons armament and clanky, non-streamlined look make up for his lack of personality.

2. Destroyah
One of the few monsters that came close to killing Godzilla. A true Knight of Cerebus in the Heisei series, when this guy shows up, everything turns for the worse. A savage blood knight who killed Godzilla Junior, and nearly killed Godzillas well. He certainly would have succeeded, were it not for the fact Godzilla was in meltdown.

1. King Ghidorah
Naturally. Godzilla's de facto archnemesis, his most recognized and ultimate foe. The closest thing the Godzilla series has for a "main villain". A ruthless, conniving, pure evil planet killer, with a nice "Light is not good" motif going for him. Awesome villain.

Honorary Mention: Bagan
Yes, I know this fandom has a bit of an odd hatred for Bagan, but I felt obliged top include a bit about him too. Sealed evil in a can that was unleashed on the world and required Godzilla to power up to fight it, much like Destroyah. Nevertheless, his demonic appearance almost rivals that of Ghidorah's and he has a lot of interesting abilities.
Beef Bigshot wrote:
Godzillian wrote:
Im to scared to talk to my comic book store guy. I dont know why but i have this strange feeling that he is secretly plotting against me...
Most comic store owners are pretty chill. Just say hey hows it going chit chat for 5 min then ask about how the godzilla comics are. Don't be afraid to talk to them :D
naw man, I can see murder in his eyes dude. I swear!

Jeff-Goldblum1
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jeff-Goldblum1 »

1. King Ghidorah - It's Ghidorah, everyone knows this is the true arch nemesis of Godzilla. Plus from a subtext point Ghidorah is the evil version of Godzilla that can never be redeemed. An angry monster that causes destruction in vengeance because of destruction caused upon him.

2. Mechagodzilla - The original, since that one is evil and created by aliens. The best of the Godzilla clones.

3. Gigan - Just a neat design, just really neat.

4. Destroyah -
Godzilla couldn't even defeat this monster, and it killed his son. Plus it's the living incarnation of the one of few things that has defeated Godzilla, the Oxygen Destroyer.

5. Hedorah - Interesting and unique concept of a monster.

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

1. Mechagodzilla. Honestly I'd say he's a better rival for Godzilla than King Ghidorah. Mechagodzilla in general always comes ever closer to killing Godzilla in each subsequent appearance. The 70s one in particular had this very appealing retro-industrial look to it.

2. MUTOs. They're on this list by virtue of them having evolved specifically to prey on Godzilla and his kind. And once they're done they hollow out the corpse and make a nest out of it. That's pretty twisted.

3. Destroyah because of what he represents. He is the living incarnation of the one weapon that killed Godzilla, now back to to so again (Hell, he succeeded if you count Godzilla Jr). He's the literal bane of Godzilla's existence. He is like a curse of the past come back to haunt the Godzilla of the present.

4. Hedorah, because he and Godzilla are in many ways two sides of the same coin. Both where created by pollution of some kind, and both wield it as a weapon.

5. Gigan. Aside from being awesome and bizarre at the same time, Gigan is very clearly built for combat with the numerous sharp edges and blades on his body. He's the first monster to make Godzilla bleed.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

Mechagigan
Futurian

Post by Mechagigan »

Breakdown wrote:1. Mechagodzilla. Honestly I'd say he's a better rival for Godzilla than King Ghidorah. Mechagodzilla in general always comes ever closer to killing Godzilla in each subsequent appearance.
Ghidorah's a great monster and all, but I strongly agree that MechaG is a better archenemy. When there's nothing else that can possibly beat Godzilla, what do they throw at him? Himself!

He just makes for a great 'opposite'... they're both 'made' by man, but while one's organic, one's mechanical. Plus, like you said, he's come closer to actually killing Godzilla in each of his appearances than Ghidorah has.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Simple, a clone or something stronger. Godzilla could have turn out worst, his clones are proof of that, and there are worst things than either Godzilla or his clones. Very few monsters are Godzilla's equal, so anything that can surpass him is very bad news for everyone including him.