Godzilla/Kaiju "Theories"

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Mothralover1997
Samurai

Godzilla/Kaiju "Theories"

Post by Mothralover1997 »

Have you ever had any "theories" or guesses on Godzilla as to justify certain headscratchers or inconsistencies within the plot? For example: In the Showa timeline, King Ghidorah and Gigan were never really under any mind control whatsoever; Being the sociopathic murderers that they are, they just need an excuse to justify their killing habits. Any others?

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Re: Godzilla/Kaiju "Theories"

Post by Space Hunter M »

Mothralover1997 wrote:Being the sociopathic murderers that they are
This gave me lelz.

Moguera24
Monsterland Worker

Post by Moguera24 »

I have one, sort of in contrast to your head canon. I sorta think Gigan and Giddy are controlled. When the Nebulan's planned on invading Earth, they already had a personal cyborg, Gigan, at their control. But they discovered King Ghidorah weak from his two battles he previously had with Godzilla. Due to Ghidorah being so weak, he was much more susceptible to Nebulan control. That's why Gigan and Ghidorah left when released from control, both held no special allegiance to Nebulans.
I'm not saying your idea is incorrect, I'm just spouting out personal thoughts
I have a tumblr I guess:http://monoclemogu.tumblr.com
I don't know why anyone would want to follow me, but it's here if you're in desperate need of Godzilla/general nerdiness content on your dashboard.

DinoMaster
G-Force Personnel

Post by DinoMaster »

Mothra gives birth to her egg a la Kiwi style, using up over half of it's body to store the egg and laying it after some time. The process gravely wounds the giant moth, pushing it to death once the young hatch or soon after.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I wrote a whole thread about a theory I had for Godzilla vs Spacegodzilla which got completely ignored;
www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=22677
I'll give you the the abridged version:
After project T Miki Segusa is able to control Godzilla telepathically and actually uses Godzilla to beat Spacegodzilla. This makes the entire movie way better because suddenly the first half and a lot of little scenes make way more sense (like the cosmos telling miki she needs to make a decision and save the earth, if this theory isn't working then that scene is pointless). Read it for more concrete evidence.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Young Guy
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Young Guy »

Joe Brody is Jet Jaguar. It's true, I'm not crazy!

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

Actually, I always thought Gigan was working for the Nebulans/Xillians of his own free will and not under their mind control. KG I was never sure, but Gigan just always came across as...too smart for that.

Moguera24
Monsterland Worker

Post by Moguera24 »

Pkmatrix wrote:Actually, I always thought Gigan was working for the Nebulans/Xillians of his own free will and not under their mind control. KG I was never sure, but Gigan just always came across as...too smart for that.
Maybe, it could be light mind manipulation, just to make sure Gigan doesn't ditch them. Or the Nebulans might just be pretending Gigan is under their control just to make themselves sound more threatening.

Also personal head canon for Gigan and Megalon, they're best friends and have an almost brotherly relationship. They work well as a team but in reality they're both complete morons. Megalon is upfront about his stupidity, but Gigan thinks himself to be superior (the "brains" of the operation) when in reality he's as much of a klutz as Megalon.

So when you said Gigan was too smart, I couldn't help but laugh b/c that's completely against my typical perception of Gigan. :lol:
I don't know why anyone would want to follow me, but it's here if you're in desperate need of Godzilla/general nerdiness content on your dashboard.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

Moguera24 wrote:Maybe, it could be light mind manipulation, just to make sure Gigan doesn't ditch them. Or the Nebulans might just be pretending Gigan is under their control just to make themselves sound more threatening.

Also personal head canon for Gigan and Megalon, they're best friends and have an almost brotherly relationship. They work well as a team but in reality they're both complete morons. Megalon is upfront about his stupidity, but Gigan thinks himself to be superior (the "brains" of the operation) when in reality he's as much of a klutz as Megalon.

So when you said Gigan was too smart, I couldn't help but laugh b/c that's completely against my typical perception of Gigan. :lol:
Hah! :lol:

Actually, I'm really digging the idea that separately Megalon and Gigan are quite intelligent, but put them together and they become goofy idiots. XD

Moguera24
Monsterland Worker

Post by Moguera24 »

Pkmatrix wrote:
Hah! :lol:

Actually, I'm really digging the idea that separately Megalon and Gigan are quite intelligent, but put them together and they become goofy idiots. XD
They certainly act it in GvsMegalon :lol:

M.U.T.O.
Futurian

Post by M.U.T.O. »

Ever heard of the Link In My Signature?
What do you call it when a railroad engineer moves toward a psychic?
Spoiler:
Approach Medium.

Moguera24
Monsterland Worker

Post by Moguera24 »

M.U.T.O. wrote:Ever heard of the Link In My Signature?
*reads theory*
*claps furiously*

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

I've proposed the idea that the Male MUTO's wings are their secondary arms that get repurposed when they undergo maturation into adulthood, which is why the MUTOlings all looked like females.

Also I like to think that the larger the Gorosaurus, the more powerful the kick.
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

Moguera24
Monsterland Worker

Post by Moguera24 »

NSZ wrote:I've proposed the idea that the Male MUTO's wings are their secondary arms that get repurposed when they undergo maturation into adulthood, which is why the MUTOlings all looked like females.

Also I like to think that the larger the Gorosaurus, the more powerful the kick.
Is there more than one Gorosaur?

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Moguera24 wrote:
NSZ wrote:I've proposed the idea that the Male MUTO's wings are their secondary arms that get repurposed when they undergo maturation into adulthood, which is why the MUTOlings all looked like females.

Is there more than one Gorosaur?
Yes and no. More of a problem with Showa having unclear deaths of monsters. The Gorosaurus in KKE might be dead and the one in DAM be different. There's also a considerable size difference.
If that's the case than the "theory" is obvious. The bigger something is the more weight it has behind it hence more powerful.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

M.U.T.O.
Futurian

Post by M.U.T.O. »

Exactly what happens.
And have you noticed that they genuinely are knucklewalking? Look at their arm layout. THEY HAVE ENORMOUS HANDS! I'm not sure why their hands evolved to be huge rather than their actual arms...but it may be a puncher.

And I've theorized that the MUTO's digestive system digests radioactive elements like a nuclear centrifuge: shaking it out and boiling fluid to generate electricity, which is built up and used for the MUTO's EMP (in the case of the winged one, it has giant EM coils in its arms around its blood vessels which build charge and then knock the power out by making contact with a ground plate on its knuckle). In the female's case, it lets out a constant EMP/Electromagnetic Cancellation Field (EMCF) as long as it's alive.
Spoiler:
Approach Medium.

Hauntedmech
Yojimbo

Post by Hauntedmech »

I actually have a theory about how Godzilla and other kaiju-sized animals could be made mechanically plausible without (significantly) altering the laws of physics. Many of us are aware of the problem with kaiju: any creature that grew that large would shatter its entire skeleton the moment it took the tiniest step on dry land. Square-Cube Law is forever the enemy to our fun.

Well, I actually did some pretty extensive calculations, and I happen to know otherwise.

The secret would be a fictional allotrope of carbon that I like to call "thermopolium." Thermopolium, unlike most other carbon allotropes, is a liquid, and is most commonly found in the osseous (bone) cells of kaiju as a fluid microfoam which bears a passing resemblance to latte foam. In this form it is called "osteothermopolium," or "OTP." OTP has a number of odd properties: because of thermopolium's high surface tension and low viscosity, the microscopic gas bubbles within it can move mostly freely through it, but can't pop or fuse into each other, instead pressing up against each other when placed under pressure. On a macroscopic scale, this means that it functions as a non-newtonian fluid, becoming momentarily very stiff if it is subjected to sudden shock, but loses its viscosity and returns to its fluid state very quickly once the pressure is removed. The compression of the gas bubbles can also produce heat when the material is under pressure, sometimes in significant amounts.

When a microfracture develops inside the bone of a growing kaiju, OTP bleeds from the cells around the fracture bleeds into it and fills it. When the fracture is placed under pressure, the OTP momentarily hardens, preventing the fracture from expanding or becoming misshapen, and allowing it to set with hyaline cartilage and significantly strengthening the bone once the fracture heals. This is essentially a naturally-occurring version of the "microfracture surgery" that many professional athletes undergo. The benefits of the OTP don't end there, though. As the kaiju's mass increases, so does the pressure on the bones, and so does the heat generated by the OTP. Although this heat can be intense in short bursts, because it's concentrated in such small areas and is reabsorbed as soon as the gas bubbles are allowed to return to their original sizes, it dissipates almost immediately and doesn't harm the growing animal. Eventually, long before the animal reaches the size of Godzilla, the pressure in the bones reaches 4-6 gigapascals, and the heat requirements are met for the OTP to compress into diamond, leaving microscopic veins of the super-strong crystal throughout high-stress points in the animal's skeleton. These diamond veins become the ultimate form of natural reinforcement for the bones, filling in and providing support exactly where they are needed, and allowing the bone to retain its normal flexibility and remain functional as a skeleton.

I actually calculated that with a diamond reinforced skeleton in 1G of gravity a truly specialized animal would be able to grow nearly 3,000,000 kilometers tall, which is about eight times the size of the Sun. This means that things like nutrition, the presence of an atmosphere for it to breathe, the ability of the Earth's crust to hold it up without catastrophically imploding and destroying all life on this planet forever, and THE ANIMAL'S OWN ABILITY TO PREVENT ITSELF FROM COLLAPSING UNDER ITS OWN GRAVITY AND TURNING INTO A REALLY BLOODY STAR will become limiting factors for the animal's size a loooooong time before the possibility of its bones shattering under its own weight would ever become an issue for it.

I also calculated that with this kind of skeleton the Legendary Pictures Godzilla would have a mass of about 134,404 metric tons. So there's some trivia for you.

Young Guy
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Young Guy »

Hauntedmech wrote:I actually have a theory about how Godzilla and other kaiju-sized animals could be made mechanically plausible without (significantly) altering the laws of physics. Many of us are aware of the problem with kaiju: any creature that grew that large would shatter its entire skeleton the moment it took the tiniest step on dry land. Square-Cube Law is forever the enemy to our fun.

Well, I actually did some pretty extensive calculations, and I happen to know otherwise.

The secret would be a fictional allotrope of carbon that I like to call "thermopolium." Thermopolium, unlike most other carbon allotropes, is a liquid, and is most commonly found in the osseous (bone) cells of kaiju as a fluid microfoam which bears a passing resemblance to latte foam. In this form it is called "osteothermopolium," or "OTP." OTP has a number of odd properties: because of thermopolium's high surface tension and low viscosity, the microscopic gas bubbles within it can move mostly freely through it, but can't pop or fuse into each other, instead pressing up against each other when placed under pressure. On a macroscopic scale, this means that it functions as a non-newtonian fluid, becoming momentarily very stiff if it is subjected to sudden shock, but loses its viscosity and returns to its fluid state very quickly once the pressure is removed. The compression of the gas bubbles can also produce heat when the material is under pressure, sometimes in significant amounts.

When a microfracture develops inside the bone of a growing kaiju, OTP bleeds from the cells around the fracture bleeds into it and fills it. When the fracture is placed under pressure, the OTP momentarily hardens, preventing the fracture from expanding or becoming misshapen, and allowing it to set with hyaline cartilage and significantly strengthening the bone once the fracture heals. This is essentially a naturally-occurring version of the "microfracture surgery" that many professional athletes undergo. The benefits of the OTP don't end there, though. As the kaiju's mass increases, so does the pressure on the bones, and so does the heat generated by the OTP. Although this heat can be intense in short bursts, because it's concentrated in such small areas and is reabsorbed as soon as the gas bubbles are allowed to return to their original sizes, it dissipates almost immediately and doesn't harm the growing animal. Eventually, long before the animal reaches the size of Godzilla, the pressure in the bones reaches 4-6 gigapascals, and the heat requirements are met for the OTP to compress into diamond, leaving microscopic veins of the super-strong crystal throughout high-stress points in the animal's skeleton. These diamond veins become the ultimate form of natural reinforcement for the bones, filling in and providing support exactly where they are needed, and allowing the bone to retain its normal flexibility and remain functional as a skeleton.

I actually calculated that with a diamond reinforced skeleton in 1G of gravity a truly specialized animal would be able to grow nearly 3,000,000 kilometers tall, which is about eight times the size of the Sun. This means that things like nutrition, the presence of an atmosphere for it to breathe, the ability of the Earth's crust to hold it up without catastrophically imploding and destroying all life on this planet forever, and THE ANIMAL'S OWN ABILITY TO PREVENT ITSELF FROM COLLAPSING UNDER ITS OWN GRAVITY AND TURNING INTO A REALLY BLOODY STAR will become limiting factors for the animal's size a loooooong time before the possibility of its bones shattering under its own weight would ever become an issue for it.

I also calculated that with this kind of skeleton the Legendary Pictures Godzilla would have a mass of about 134,404 metric tons. So there's some trivia for you.
You're acting as if their bones are made of the same material as humans.

M.U.T.O.
Futurian

Post by M.U.T.O. »

Hauntedmech wrote:I actually have a theory about how Godzilla and other kaiju-sized animals could be made mechanically plausible without (significantly) altering the laws of physics. Many of us are aware of the problem with kaiju: any creature that grew that large would shatter its entire skeleton the moment it took the tiniest step on dry land. Square-Cube Law is forever the enemy to our fun.

*INCREDIBLE APPLAUSE*
Young Guy wrote: You're acting as if their bones are made of the same material as humans.
Bones are made from the same material all around.
Spoiler:
Approach Medium.

Young Guy
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Young Guy »

^Well yeah, but they'd be much more robust than ours. Check out some of the long necked dinosaurs, they're huge!