How open of a G-Fan are you?

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
H-Man
G-Grasper

Re: How open of a G-Fan are you?

Post by H-Man »

I'm pretty open about it here and almost Always have been. Everybody at work knows I'm a fan, especially since three Trendmasters toys adorn my workspace and I once said in a meeting that I wanted to take a day off to go to see Godzilla. I was open about it in grade school, having shown several such movies to my 5th grade class. I wasn't so open about it in high school, but at the time, everybody knew I liked Asian stuff and I was known as the "White guy who thought he was Asian."

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

It doesn't usually come up in conversation, but at this point I think pretty much everyone I know is aware of how much I enjoy the Godzilla franchise. It doesn't hurt that I have some relatives who are (or were) really into giant monsters as well.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Very open, and no one seems to mind. Some actually find it fascinating and I've got a few friends that are into kaiju and Sentai, so most of the time I can talk about it and not feel out of place.

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

Not very. Only mention it when it comes up in conversation.
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

TetsukiGroudon
Terminated
Terminated

Post by TetsukiGroudon »

I'm not super open about it. But I do have some Godzilla T-shirts. It's been a long time since I've ever talked to anyone about godzilla. But if someone brings it up, I'll talk about it with them. I'm not afraid to admit I'm one either since I don't care what people people think of me when it comes to mea to what I like.

MDK
Terminated
Terminated

Post by MDK »

Not open to the point where I become the Godzilla guy at school and it becomes cringeworthy.
TK's resident O L D S H O W A F A N B O Y who is a salty heisei and sticklegs zilla H A T E R and GINO fan S T E R E O T Y P E R and member who threw a T E M P E R T A N T R U M over Vega
Legion1979 wrote:The Godzilla fandom tends to attract three types of people; ignorant kids, social deviants and drunks in their late '20s and older. Lol
SaltPersonified wrote:Says the one who threw a temper tantrum over Vega
If you're forced ignored with me and you see this because you logged out to read my posts you need a life lol

KaijuFiend
Rainbowzilla

Post by KaijuFiend »

The topic of Godzilla doesn't come up much when I'm with friends, but if someone asks, I'll tell them. I've never been bullied for being a Godzilla fan, but then again, I don't know if I ever talked about it to anyone my age when I was young. It's such an obscure fandom that it never came up among my peers. And now I'm too old for any bullying bullshit.

Creature22
EDF Instructor

Post by Creature22 »

Today, I'm pretty neutral about it. I'll talk about it if it's brought up, but I mainly just keep it to myself. I was super open as a kid, to a point where teachers were forbidding me to talk about it in class. I got made fun of for liking Toho movies in middle school so I just stopped talking about them after that. I was getting sick of being socially awkward and unpopular, so I left Godzilla movies alone for awhile and focused on turning myself around. By the time I got to high school, I was playing soccer, swimming, weightlifting, and participating in community theater for fun. Godzilla was still cool but it just never really came up during this period.

My interest didn't really show again until my senior year, when the remake came out. That movie made Godzilla epic again and everyone highly anticipated its release. Nobody makes fun of me for being a fan now either, because everybody seems to love it now. :roll:

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

Today, I just don't care who knows. As a kid i was def a bit more shy about it and pretty much kept it to myself because nobody but me liked it an i was worried what they'd think.

Now all my friends know i enjoy it, I could really careless if they think its dumb, cheesy, stupid. There's a lot of stuff they enjoy which i think the same about but we seem to respect it regardless of we get it or not. I just kind of figure if someone's to judge me negatively on my love for Godzilla (or Jurassic park) then there not worth my time anyways and it's there loss.

Although i don't go screaming an bragging about it 24-7 that does get annoying whenever anyone does it, but i am open about my enjoyment of the series if anyone asks.

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla165 »

Luckily for me, I have very good lifelong friends that I can talk to about well... Anything really, so my love for Godzilla is literally small fry for them; and they like Godzilla too from a casual viewer standpoint. Plus, all of them love anime, manga, and the Japanese culture in general. Aside from them, everyone else that I have interacted with in my life (except like, three people), have all said something to the extent of "oh really? That's pretty cool!" Needless to say, I'm very open to telling people that I adore Godzilla, because I personally see no shame in being a fan of the series. You love what you love.

#BotM

LazerWhale
JXSDF Technician

Post by LazerWhale »

I got a multi-class trip organized to watch Godzilla 2014 in theaters on opening day.
I think almost everyone I know is aware that I'm a Godzilla fan. I'll happily admit it to anyone who asks.
Lazer's Art Thread:viewtopic.php?f=19&t=21430&view=viewpoll
My DeviantArt: http://lazerwhale.deviantart.com/
Just because someone likes something you don't, don't treat them poorly for it.
But,
Just because someone doesn't like something you do, don't treat them poorly for it, either.

Lest We Forget

Godzilla The King
Futurian

Post by Godzilla The King »

I'm open, I just usually keep it out of conversation unless I know the person also likes it or someone brings it up.
CaptainStarbird wrote:
gigan72 wrote:MMMMM, HEISEI
-fatass bodies
-big thighs
-some undersized arms
-beam spam
-a mans ass
-messed up timeline
MAKES ME HORNY
UNLIKE THOSE ANOREXIC SHOWA MODELS!
CaptainStarbird wrote: "Look under your chair for a gift, it's a bitchslap!"

Noble Saber
Xilien Halfling

Post by Noble Saber »

Anyone who's known me for more than a week knows I'm a Godzilla fan, so I'd say I'm pretty open about it. To me there's nothing to hide if you're a Godzilla fan, after all, there are far worse things to be into.

Vatarian
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Vatarian »

I generally keep my interests to myself, outside of close friends and immediate family. Most people where I live either have no interest in fiction (hunting, football, and drinking yourself silly are the local pastimes), so if I were to say that I loved Godzilla, people would think Godzilla defined me as a person, and constantly make Godzilla jokes, and refer to me as the "Godzilla kid", and that's really not worth it. Of course, there are a few other people interested in fantasy/scifi, but they're intolerably annoying for the most part.

I have the friend-group I have for a reason, and I prefer to keep to it.

2009MECHAGODZILLA
Futurian

Post by 2009MECHAGODZILLA »

I guess I'm pretty open about it. No one really seems to give a shit.
Last edited by 2009MECHAGODZILLA on Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=21114

Commission prices: https://www.deviantart.com/snake151/jou ... -848926845
"Disappointing! Re-watch the 1954 original. THAT is the correct form!!!"

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

I'm as open as you can get. No need to hide an interest of mine. I'm not in your face about it either but close.