Trolling Godzilla Fans

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Re: Trolling Godzilla Fans

Post by mikelcho »

MaxRebo320 wrote:
G2000 wrote:Seeing how many people have been reeeeing about that article perhaps JD is the true master of trolling Godzilla fans
Well, given how he was deliberately spreading misinformation regarding the coronavirus to try justifying G-Fest staying open, maybe he was trolling fans...to their literal deaths.
I don't get it. Where and when did J.D. start doing that? I didn't notice anything like that before. Please provide examples.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

mikelcho wrote: I didn't notice anything like that before. Please provide examples.
It's literally on the Cringe Thread, you can't miss it.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Gigantis wrote:
mikelcho wrote: I didn't notice anything like that before. Please provide examples.
It's literally on the Cringe Thread, you can't miss it.
Thanks, I'll take a look.

Blinder16
Ronin

Post by Blinder16 »

Yeah, KOTM is definitely a polarizing one. Like it, and half of the fandom will sling crap at you. Dislike it and it'll be the same from the other side, which means it's a surefire way to troll the community!

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

mikelcho wrote:I don't get it. Where and when did J.D. start doing that? I didn't notice anything like that before. Please provide examples.
Social media, my man. And you know for certain it was him, since every post about it ends with "- J.D.".
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Using necromancy to resurrect old dead topics. ;)

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

Not trolling, but I get a shit ton of anger if you call Shin Godzilla "Just okay"
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

MaxRebo320 wrote:
mikelcho wrote:I don't get it. Where and when did J.D. start doing that? I didn't notice anything like that before. Please provide examples.
Social media, my man. And you know for certain it was him, since every post about it ends with "- J.D.".
You're right, I found it later on the cringe thread here.

I like G-Fan. I've always liked it. It's always had good, informative articles about films and TV shows and very good fan fiction, but I can't believe it's come to this. I'll have to look at that article again and see what it says.

You know, I wrote a letter to G-Fan to mail back a defective issue, asking some questions and giving out a few article suggestions (one of which was what was the actual English-language titles used in Japan for some of the Toho films, another was the history of The Bloodthirsty Trilogy and another was the history of Shintoho's Starman) and J.D. was kind enough to not only send me a new copy (he said I was the 10th one to report it, btw, and hopefully the last), but said that he'd print the letter in G-Fan #122. It never made it, so I guess I'll probably have to write him again to remind him. He even gave me a nice photo of Miki Saegusa, one of two that are available from G-Fan. When I write him, I'll see if he can send me the other one so I can have a set.

I did find out one thing in the letter, though. Skip Peel, the author of the ongoing fan fiction series The Journal of Dr. Rex Summeral was getting married and that's why we haven't heard from him lately. Does anyone else have any further news on this?
Last edited by mikelcho on Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

mikelcho wrote:Does anyone else have any further news on this?
...Who cares? It's none of you or anyone else's business.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

UltramanGoji wrote:
No, no, you don't understand, when I write my letter to J.D., I just want to tell him to tell Skip congratulations.

I really hate it when people don't ask first instead of jumping to conclusions.
Last edited by mikelcho on Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

mikelcho wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:
No, no, you don't understand, when I write my letter to J.D., I just want to tell him to tell Skip congratulations.

I'm just really confused. What does writing to D.J about reminding him about your lost copy have anything to do with his weird blackface thing?

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Gigantis wrote:
mikelcho wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:

I'm just really confused. What does writing to D.J about reminding him about your lost copy have anything to do with his weird blackface thing?
I should've included (but didn't) that, when J.D. wrote to me, he did not sound like the man everyone's talking about here. He seemed like a pretty nice guy.

Also, I think we should give him a chance to explain his actions before judging him too harshly. Is he a member of this forum?

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

mikelcho wrote:
Also, I think we should give him a chance to explain his actions before judging him too harshly. Is he a member of this forum?
Hey i never said we should immediately write him off, but that post mixed with the fact he wanted G Fest to be open despite the pandemic is still kinda messed up.

And i don't think he's a member here.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

mikelcho wrote:
Gigantis wrote:
mikelcho wrote:No, no, you don't understand, when I write my letter to J.D., I just want to tell him to tell Skip congratulations.

I should've included (but didn't) that, when J.D. wrote to me, he did not sound like the man everyone's talking about here. He seemed like a pretty nice guy.

Oh, yeah, my personal interactions with J.D. have (almost) always been very pleasant. Nobody's saying he's some cackling, heartless villain; just that he's got some bad takes on some serious issues.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

The Anime Trilogy
Every Godzilladamned film in this franchise since 2003 has been at the center of a raging controversy and the three anime films are certainly no exception. Some fans will tell you they're the worst thing to come out of the franchise -- including me, fuck these piece of shit movies -- and others will tell you they're the best thing to happen to Godzilla since Shusuke Kaneko. Saying anything positive or negative about them is a good way to kick the hornet's nest.

How To Troll Anime Fanbois:
+ Point out that in five hours we didn't get a single real kaiju fight.
+ Bitch about how Mechagodzilla didn't really show up in COTEOB despite being featured in the marketing.
+ Criticize the kaiju designs -- specifically, say that Godzilla looks like a plant and/or mountain, Mechagodzilla looks like an insect, Ghidorah looks like spaghetti and the Servum look like microwaved Druddigons.
+ Say that the movies are boring as fuck.
+ Talk about how literally every anime ever is way better.
+ Complain that those book tie-ins didn't get adapted instead.
+ Say that Haruo is an Eren Jaeger wannabe with a shitty character arc.
+ Make fun of nAnOmEtAl.
+ Say literally anything about the sex scene.
+ Say that these aren't "real" Godzilla movies because they're animated.

How To Troll Anime Haters:
+ Claim that there's more thematic depth in these movies than most if not all of the Heisei and/or Millennium films.
+ Say that the plots are better than those shitty ass popcorn flick MonsterVerse movies.
+ Admit that you like the new takes on Mechagodzilla and Ghidorah.
+ Opine that Haruo is one of the most developed protagonists in the entire franchise.
+ Praise the animation style in any way.
+ Argue that Godzilla Earth is by far the most powerful Godzilla.
+ Say that Metphies is the best alien bad guy in the series.
+ Compare Godzilla Earth's design favorably to MV Godzilla and/or Shin Godzilla.
+ Proclaim that these movies are better than Godzilla: The Series.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

This thread is fun, I'll do another one. Or two.

Godzilla vs. Hedorah (a.k.a. the one where Godzilla flies)
This is probably one of the most controversial films in the series. A lot of fans think it's one of the most unique, most fun films in the franchise. A lot of others hate it because Godzilla flies, and also because that one book said that it was one of the fifty worst films ever made and apparently that means it's true. Yoshimitsu Banno's direction was either a welcome break from Honda's trademark style or an insult to the roots of the franchise, depending on who you ask. Even the titular kaiju villain is controversial; she's either one of the very best antagonists in the franchise or an overrated pile of literal garbage, according to different sects of the fandom.

How to Troll GvH Fans (like yours truly):
+ Say that Godzilla flying was the single worst, dumbest, most degrading, stupidest fucking thing that every happened in the franchise.
+ Claim that the film's anti-pollution message was too heavy-handed.
+ Argue that Hedorah is overrated and not a very powerful or menacing villain. Say that King Ghidorah was way better.
+ Make fun of the cartoons, the fish-head acid trip scene or anything else weird.
+ Say that the movie is bad because of its strangeness.
+ Claim that Ken Yanno is more annoying than most of the Gamera kids.
+ Mock either of the opening songs for being shitty 007 wannabes.
+ State that <insert Showa kaiju here> can kick Hedorah's smoggy ass.
+ Call Banno a shitty director and say it's good he never got to direct another Godzilla film.
+ Make fun of how the proposed sequel never got made.

How to Troll GvH Haters:
+ Point out that Hedorah is a far more menacing villain that King Ghidorah or Mechagodzilla or Space Godzilla or Destoroyah or literally any other villain in the franchise.
+ Say that Destoroyah is a Hedorah ripoff.
+ Defend the film's bizarreness in anyway, especially the flight scene.
+ Better still, say that Godzilla being able to fly is "cool" or in any way good.
+ Even better, complain that Godzilla's flight ability was never revisited.
+ Claim that this is the best of the 70s Godzilla movies, bonus points if you insult either or both of the Mechagodzilla films while doing so.
+ Argue that Godzilla vs. Hedorah 2 would have been a better conclusion to the Showa era than Terror of Mechagodzilla was.
+ Opine that this film has more thematic depth than any Godzilla film since 1954.
+ Call Ken Yanno the best child character in the series.
+ Admit that you love "Give Back the Sun" and/or "Save the Earth".
+ Praise Riichiro Manabe's soundtrack. For bonus points, compare it favorably to any of the Ifukube and Sato scores.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

How to Troll: Godzilla vs Megaguirus Fans
These people are few in number but are equipped with large amounts of ferocity.

How to troll the fans.
-Talk about how GxMG is a far better film.
-Constantly boast about how over the top edgy Megaguirus is.
-Talk about how Megaguirus’s strings are visible clearly.
-Talk about how unlikeable the protagonist is.

How to troll the haters (like myself).
-Claim that GxMG is a boring ripoff.
-Megaguirus is a badass kaiju with the best fight scene in the franchise.

Showa King Ghidorah Fans
These guys love their dragon. How can we show support and/or stop them?

How to troll the fans (like myself).
-Talk about how he’s weak and cowardly.
-All he does is stand there and not fight back.
-Say that Hedorah is more superior.
-Bring up hos his roar is so annoying, it makes Gabara’s look like a decent sound.

How to troll the haters.
-Say he’s the most powerful kaiju of all time.
-Talk about how he could curb stomp :insert kaiju here:
-Bididbdidbdidbdi
-Say that he has the best roar in the franchise.
Last edited by Voyager on Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For Emperor and Empire!

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

All you gotta do to troll people somehow still salty about G98 is say that it's better than the new American Godzilla movies.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Spoiler:
Say Kong won and/or Kong saved Goji from MG.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
For Emperor and Empire!

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Voyager wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:29 am
Spoiler:
Say Kong won and/or Kong saved Goji from MG.
Doesn't this still constitute a spoiler for those who haven't seen the film?

1.) Mention that you didn't care when Serizawa died in King of the Monsters.
2.) wait for it to fanboy tears.
3.) cover yourself in oil.
4.) Fly!
Problem?
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.