Trolling Godzilla Fans

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
JAGzilla
Sazer

Re: Trolling Godzilla Fans

Post by JAGzilla »

I guess I'll take the bait again: Miki played a huge part in making vs. Biollante as great as it was, though I will give you the other movies.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

How to troll the GvKG fans on TK? :angel:

eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Oh man, that "cancel culture" article that idiot J.D. wrote in the latest G-Fan is something else. But I guess discussion of that belongs in the cringe thread.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

Seeing how many people have been reeeeing about that article perhaps JD is the true master of trolling Godzilla fans
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Nah, he's just an archaic moron.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

I was just posting it for the "Godzilla vs King Ghidorah is about the glorification of imperialism" comment. Knew it went against what others had said here.

No idea what this article was about.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:Knew it went against what others had said here.
Yeah, because it's not a reading supported by the movie.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

G2000 wrote:Seeing how many people have been reeeeing about that article perhaps JD is the true master of trolling Godzilla fans
Well, given how he was deliberately spreading misinformation regarding the coronavirus to try justifying G-Fest staying open, maybe he was trolling fans...to their literal deaths.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

JD is evil!!!!1!!!11!1!!!!1!!1!
For Emperor and Empire!

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

How to troll KOTM fanboys:
Tell them there's more to movies than fan service Kaiju Fights

How to troll KOTM haters:

Tell them Mark Russel is a more interesting and better written character than General Tachibana or Nick Adams due to the fact that he has character development while the aforementioned two have little to no development in their movies.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

JAGzilla wrote:I guess I'll take the bait again: Miki played a huge part in making vs. Biollante as great as it was, though I will give you the other movies.
I'd say she's just as important in Godzilla vs. SpaceGodzilla. Big issue is the other films if you believe in the interpretation that she controls Godzilla in the climax. The issue is the other films have a slew of female characters that might as well be her.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

darthzilla99 wrote:How to troll KOTM fanboys:

Tell them Mark Russel is a more interesting and better written character than General Tachibana or Nick Adams due to the fact that he has character development while the aforementioned two have little to no development in their movies.
Troll KOTM fans: Tell them it sucked.

Troll KOTM haters: Tell them it's your favorite Godzilla movie.

Same result.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Is the JD article even worth responding to? Or am I being trolled? I have a lot of nuanced thoughts about racial issues in the Godzilla franchise, and I think it's an interesting conversation, but I'm not sure if it's worth the time or effort. :P
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:Is the JD article even worth responding to? Or am I being trolled? I have a lot of nuanced thoughts about racial issues in the Godzilla franchise, and I think it's an interesting conversation, but I'm not sure if it's worth the time or effort. :P
For what it's worth, you've piqued my interest.
Last edited by Spuro on Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Around these parts anyways, I've never seen anybody try to "justify" the blackface utilized in KKVG, Mothra, MVG, etc. I think just about everyone can acknowledge it was simply a measure used back then that in hindsight, wasn't right, even if the filmmakers almost certainly never intended anything malicious.

It's funny how J.D. rags on about "snowflakes" making a big deal over non-issues, when nobody has ever made a serious issue of the topic. So I guess that makes *him* the snowflake!

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

It's not even about Godzilla movies. It's a rant against cancel culture's response to blackface in entertainment; only at the end does he acknowledge that some kaiju movies used blackface and that Toho has pulled some controversial movies before. It's 99% unrelated to the subject of the magazine he writes and publishes, and it's unjustified because as even he admits, there's no real threat of the Godzilla movies being pulled.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

Terasawa wrote:
darthzilla99 wrote:How to troll KOTM fanboys:

Troll KOTM fans: Tell them it sucked.

Troll KOTM haters: Tell them it's your favorite Godzilla movie.

Same result.

But that's just unoriginal. I at least was trying to be half original. :twisted:
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Terasawa wrote:It's not even about Godzilla movies. It's a rant against cancel culture's response to blackface in entertainment; only at the end does he acknowledge that some kaiju movies used blackface and that Toho has pulled some controversial movies before. It's 99% unrelated to the subject of the magazine he writes and publishes, and it's unjustified because as even he admits, there's no real threat of the Godzilla movies being pulled.
Yeah. My thoughts were just the topic itself is interesting (like transgressions Toho has done, and what will cause them to decide to try to hide stuff they deem offensive, like the prophecies of nostradamus stuff).

A more interesting article would’ve been the usage of natives and Toho films, and their varying portrayals. It is interesting to note that post 1970’s the whole native trope sort of completely gets erased. Mothra goes from being worshipped by groups of people to just exclusively twins. Sans some stuff in GFW I do think it’s pretty obvious Toho was wary how they started portraying people after a certain point.

As cynical as it sounds I wonder if that article was intended to generate fake controversy, or the lack their of, in order to generate discussion about GFan. It’s not outright offensive, just weirdly dumb, and as you mention pointless.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:A more interesting article would’ve been the usage of natives and Toho films, and their varying portrayals. It is interesting to note that post 1970’s the whole native trope sort of completely gets erased. Mothra goes from being worshipped by groups of people to just exclusively twins. Sans some stuff in GFW I do think it’s pretty obvious Toho was wary how they started portraying people after a certain point.
Thank you for reminding me of the first time I saw the '90s Godzilla vs Mothra in 1998. There's a shot of the three Japanese paddling their boat down a river on Infant Island, and as the camera zooms out, I remember thinking that it was supposed to be the natives' perspective -- at some point the expedition would encounter natives, as that's what happens in every 1960s Infant Island movie.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

The last time you see the Infant Island natives is G vs TSM, but I never gave much thought to why. Maybe it was cheaper not having the extras, or it might be the concerns about how islanders were portrayed, like blackface in the US.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.