Best Intro to the Franchise

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Re: Best Intro to the Franchise

Post by Tohosaurus »

I would include G54 so long as it's someone who isn't opposed to "old" films; unfotunately that's an issue for some people.

Otherwise, the 80s films or GMK would be ideal IMO due to their stories and better effects work. I think those factors and their overall quality have helped them age well compared to the 90s Heisei films, for example.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

20th Century Boy
Futurian

Post by 20th Century Boy »

It really depends on the person.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

20th Century Boy wrote:It really depends on the person.
This really is the best strategy when trying to introduce someone to Godzilla. We've got 30 movies to work with, surely you can find SOMETHING that'll appeal to the newbie's tastes.

JGAR
Futurian

Post by JGAR »

20th Century Boy wrote:It really depends on the person.

^This. If the person is from that type that of audience that likes movies that aren't exactly just masterpieces but well made in every category (except for effects), show them G'54 and 84. If the person is just an ordinary joe wanting to be entertained no matter what, show them anything else, but particularly Godzilla 2000 and 2014.
Yooo 8-)

toho_guy01
Interpol Agent

Post by toho_guy01 »

Personally, King Kong Vs Godzilla.

People will come for King Kong and stay for Godzilla and the fight scenes. Helps that the human scenes are entertaining (At least, to me). I'm talking about the American version, which is not as bad as you think.
That fella that still exists for whatever reason.

toho_guy01
Interpol Agent

Post by toho_guy01 »

Saansilt wrote:I think Godzilla vs Space Godzilla could work rather well for new people.
Mind explaining?
That fella that still exists for whatever reason.

Janjira-York
G-Force Personnel

Post by Janjira-York »

It really depends on the things the person is into and the age/gender of said people.

But I feel that G'54 is to dark and/or boring to show to people without a context.

But I stand still, if they can live throug Godzilla's revenge they accept anything else

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

toho_guy01 wrote:
Saansilt wrote:I think Godzilla vs Space Godzilla could work rather well for new people.
Mind explaining?
Yeah please explain why.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

toho_guy01 wrote:Personally, King Kong Vs Godzilla.
Real talk.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

toho_guy01 wrote:I'm talking about the American version, which is not as bad as you think.
Eeeeeehhhhh....

I have mentioned how the US version of KKvG is one of my least favorite movies in the whole genre, right? I'd rather watch G'98 than the US version of KKvG. ^_^()
Janjira-York wrote:But I feel that G'54 is to dark and/or boring to show to people without a context.
It may just depend on the age and temperment of the person, though. The last time I tried to introduce Godzilla to people it was to three friends via G'54, and they all loved it. None of them thought it was boring, and they ate up the darkness of it (I think they liked it much MORE because it was much darker than they expected).

tymon
Futurian

Post by tymon »

^It's also a boring, unfocused mess with cardboard characters, an awful score and terrible effects.

SpaceGodzilla is one of, if not the, most universally loathed films in the series, among both fans and casual viewers, and for damn good reason. So therefore it's not a great choice for newcomers.
JAGzilla wrote:And then there was The Giant Condor. He...seemed very dedicated to what he was doing?

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

tymon wrote:an awful score
I wouldn't go that far.

Kaiser
G-Force Personnel

Post by Kaiser »

I'm one of the biggest Heisei defenders on this site and even I think SpaceGodzilla is one of the worst entries to introduce someone to the series. Godzilla vs. Megalon and one or two other Showa films may be technically worse films, but SpaceGodzilla is just so tedious to sit through. Unlike Megalon, Final Wars, or Gigan, it's stupidity isn't somewhat entertaining to witness, being more the face-palm inducing variety rather than the laugh-out loud variety. It commits the worst crime a film can commit: it's just dull.

I'd much rather show someone Gigan, because they at least might be entertained enough to want to watch more films in the future.

imperious reptilius
Monarch Researcher

Post by imperious reptilius »

The best way to introduce anyone into the series is the original first, then something in the Showa series. I'd personally go with DAM or Ghidorah the Three Headed Monster.
"You don’t like your job, you don’t strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That’s the American way."
-Homer Simpson

Now the gentle winds, beckons through the leaves~ As autumn colors fall~

gojira96
Monarch Researcher

Post by gojira96 »

Godzilla vs Mothra [1964]. If you don't like that film, you probably won't like most of them.

Godziller
Ronin

Post by Godziller »

The intro for the English Version of Godzilla's Revenge

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Godzilla Vs. Destoroyah for me. It may not have crazy visuals or anything flashy like the other films, but Ifukube's music... the climactic musical explosion upon the reveal of Destoroyah's name in the title gives me chills every single time.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

MDK
Terminated
Terminated

Post by MDK »

Mothra vs Godzilla. It's the definitive Godzilla film.
TK's resident O L D S H O W A F A N B O Y who is a salty heisei and sticklegs zilla H A T E R and GINO fan S T E R E O T Y P E R and member who threw a T E M P E R T A N T R U M over Vega
Legion1979 wrote:The Godzilla fandom tends to attract three types of people; ignorant kids, social deviants and drunks in their late '20s and older. Lol
SaltPersonified wrote:Says the one who threw a temper tantrum over Vega
If you're forced ignored with me and you see this because you logged out to read my posts you need a life lol

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

After rewatching it the other day, I think I might just add Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla (1993) as a possibility. It's hardly the best movie, but it's sure entertaining (EVERYBODY likes flashy explosions!) and seems a lot closer to typical for the franchise as a whole than a lot of the other possibilities. It tells you pretty much everything you need to know in the first couple of minutes and has a monster cast recognizable to any non-fan, it seems almost specifically designed to be a jumping-on point for newbies.

three
Keizer

Post by three »

MG2 and vs KG (1991) are my two picks.

MG2 is well paced and flashy with not a lot of downtime. KG has humourously bad moments to lighten the slow story of the first half, gives an origin for Godzilla, and has a very cool enemy and twist at the end. The villains are also very easy to dislike, and because there's story influence from the outside world at the time, you can connect the dots for them.

This is what I did. After that I tried more modern themed stuff like Biollante and it worked well, and now have moved into the Showa films with MG (1974), which again is flashy, fast, and has some light camp.

I would not show someone the original until they'd seen some of the other stuff for comparisons sake. They're going to be familiar with the fighting super monster Godzilla, and the original is a disaster movie and historical nuclear commentary. Definitely heavier than other films and it's quite old; non fans may be immediately put off and I don't want them missing what's the best film in the franchise. After that you can explain why the shift from that version of film came and how we got to Godzilla, hero saviour of Japan and the architect of its downfall (a paradox) at the same time.
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

Gojira is:Very Hiroshima®
axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

sir isaac newton is the deadliest son - of - a - bitch in space.