Best Melee Kaiju

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
EmperorGhidorah
Gotengo Officer

Best Melee Kaiju

Post by EmperorGhidorah »

Which kaiju is the best close quarters combat kaiju. Only kaijus from Toho, Daiei, and Pacific Rim ( Legendary Godzilla and all kaijus associated with him are included).

I have narrowed it down to theses kaijus:

GFW
LPG
Showa Godzilla
GMK Godzilla
Charged King Kong

Contenders:
Biollante
Monster X
Legion
Destroyah

Edit: I'd also include otachi and slattern
"In the Name of God, impure souls of the living dead shall be banished to eternal damnation. Amen."

ScootaVaran
EDF Instructor

Re: Best Melee Kaiju

Post by ScootaVaran »

Gigan of course! Everything about him screams melee.
The quickest way into a woman's bed is through her parents. Have sex with them and you're in. -Zapp Brannigan
For some Coffee inspired art, viewtopic.php?f=19&t=11147

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla165 »

FinalGoji
Pretty much all of the Showa Kaiju
GiraGoji
GMK Godzilla
LegenGoji
Kiryu
74 MechaGodzilla
GTS Godzilla

#BotM

FalconZ
Monarch Researcher

Post by FalconZ »

Megaguirus
Biollante
Anguirus
Titanosaurus
Hedorah
Gigan
Lain Of The Wired wrote:
FalconZ wrote:People putting words in my mouth.
Be thankful words are the only things being put in your mouth

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

GFW Godzilla

Showa Godzilla

Godzilla 2014

Mechagodzilla '74

Titanosaurus

King Ceasar

Charged King Kong
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

BurningGMK54
Monsterland Worker

Post by BurningGMK54 »

Complete Edit: 4/3/2016

UG Gomora
Godzilla 2014
Showa Godzilla
GTS Godzilla
Kiryu
Megaguirus

Honorable Mentions:
Titanosaurus
Monster X ( A for strength and durability but F for competence. )

Also, apparently a couple of years ago I thought Gypsy Danger and Strike Eureka classify as kaiju.
Last edited by BurningGMK54 on Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:36 am, edited 3 times in total.

BurningGMK54
Monsterland Worker

Post by BurningGMK54 »

Edit: No point to this reply anymore.
Last edited by BurningGMK54 on Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

EmperorGhidorah
Gotengo Officer

LPG would probably be the best melee kaiju. Speed, strength, durability, and a nasty tail swipe probably makes him the best melee kaiju. Showa Godzilla is probably slightly stronger and has a much more complex fighting style so he's a close second. Frankly, I find him to be a better melee fighter than GFW.
"In the Name of God, impure souls of the living dead shall be banished to eternal damnation. Amen."

Missingno.
G-Grasper

Post by Missingno. »

The best ones I have to say are:

Just about all Showa monsters
Biollante
Destroyah

I have only seen GMK, so can't really include any from the Millennium era
TK's resident other 1980's fan who longs for that decade's return, and severe weather fanatic.
LSD Jellyfish wrote:WOW WHAT HONOL. SO KOOR, VERY JOUZU KAWAII SOU DESU NE. AHHHH OKII CHINKO DESU KA. MMMMM CHICHI, WATSHI NO MANKO NI CHINKO O IKYUUUUUUUU
NEVER FORGET:
8-8-2015
R.I.P. Games forum
Resized ImageResized Image
The 80's----The weather!

EmperorGhidorah
Gotengo Officer

Living Corpse wrote:Legendary scares me because he not only has a weight advantage (and more!) of Destroyah but the intelligence to actually use leverage like Showa.
The more I think about it, the more I believe showa and legendary godzilla are about even in the melee department. They both use their strength with remarkable constancy. They both have a unique fitting style. Even their breath is remarkably similar. Their atomic rays use heat as it's primary method of damage, and as a result, aren't very forceful. A fight between them would be very interesting.

Janjira-York
G-Force Personnel

Post by Janjira-York »

Best melee by era

Showa:
Mothra, quite impresive of her draging around a much hevier adversary (Alas G'64)
Godzilla-Fu from the late 60's to ToMG
Gorosaurus: That kick but thats about it
And of course JET Jaguar

Heisei.
This is a tricky one but I'll say that biollante, yeah maybe DEstoroyah, SG, and heisei G are stronger (Examples Dess drag Burning G around, SG impale MOGUERA, and G throw Heisei MEcha G)
So yeahBiollante with all those vines is more competent in a hand to hand combat

But this thread is about more competent Melee Figthers and not the most POWERFULL

Millenium
Finalwars Godzilla
Monster X
Kiryu (Maybe not as powrfull as the above ones but really is worth noting)
Godzilla 2000, megaguirus suplex anyone?

three
Keizer

Post by three »

Godzilla (Showa)

LPG

Kiryu

MG 1974

Titanosaurus

that's it. maybe Gigan and Monster X as honorable mentions.
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

Gojira is:Very Hiroshima®
axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

sir isaac newton is the deadliest son - of - a - bitch in space.

The Godzilla Camp
Monsterland Worker

Post by The Godzilla Camp »

Reading these posts - surely these Monsters or Kaiju would also have honorable mentions:

1.) GAMERA!
2.) THE MUTO's! Although only if they were really in a Tag-Team ...
3.) ULTRAMAN! ULTRAMAN TIGA!
4.) GOMORA!
5.) TYRANT!
6.) GOLZA!
7.) KING JOE!
8.) ZONE FIGHTER!

I noted some say DESTOROYAH - but DESTOROYAH is kinda slow and relies more on 'bulk slamming' or simply using his MICRO-OXYGEN BEAM and Laser Horn Katana and reforming abilities ...

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

There's Titanosaurus, Showa Mothra,Showa Ebirah, Gaira, Biollante, Ultraman,Showa Anguirus, and Megaguirus.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

The Godzilla Camp
Monsterland Worker

Post by The Godzilla Camp »

edgaguirus wrote:There's Titanosaurus, Showa Mothra,Showa Ebirah, Gaira, Biollante, Ultraman,Showa Anguirus, and Megaguirus.
May I ask - why the choice of Ebirah 1966? Given he pretty much just tried to clamp Godzilla 1966 and drown him and such but he didn't really do much then and how Godzilla 1966 even managed to 'snap' his arms in the final struggle ... and how even a boulder smacked on his nogging and an Atomic Ray Beam sent him retreating then ...

Wouldn't Jet Jaguar also do nicely in the list? And Mecha-G 1974 isn't too shabby neither ...

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

EmperorGhidorah wrote:Which kaiju is the best close quarters combat kaiju. Only kaijus from Toho, Daiei, and Pacific Rim ( Legendary Godzilla and all kaijus associated with him are included).

Destroyah

What?! all Destroyah has head butting and bumbing, the one thing he has which makes him strong in CQC is his Laser Horn which he hardly uses. just because he has a Lightsaber doesn't mean it makes up for everything else, when everything else is absolutely poor.
Godzilla

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

The Godzilla Camp wrote:
edgaguirus wrote:There's Titanosaurus, Showa Mothra,Showa Ebirah, Gaira, Biollante, Ultraman,Showa Anguirus, and Megaguirus.
May I ask - why the choice of Ebirah 1966? Given he pretty much just tried to clamp Godzilla 1966 and drown him and such but he didn't really do much then and how Godzilla 1966 even managed to 'snap' his arms in the final struggle ... and how even a boulder smacked on his nogging and an Atomic Ray Beam sent him retreating then ...

Wouldn't Jet Jaguar also do nicely in the list? And Mecha-G 1974 isn't too shabby neither ...
Yes, Ebirah wasn't the strongest monster Godzilla fought, but when Ebirah had Godzilla up close and personal, Ebirah was doing fairly well. It was man handling Godzilla and keeping him down until Godzilla gained the upper hand again. Ebirah'a claws are his only weapons, but they did the job of keeping Godzilla off balance for a short time. That qualifies Ebirah to be in my list.

As for the boulder, have you ever have something hard hit your head? I have, and it hurts. I can only imagine how it would feel to have a big rock slammed into your head.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

g2vd wrote:
EmperorGhidorah wrote:Which kaiju is the best close quarters combat kaiju. Only kaijus from Toho, Daiei, and Pacific Rim ( Legendary Godzilla and all kaijus associated with him are included).

Destroyah

What?! all Destroyah has head butting and bumbing, the one thing he has which makes him strong in CQC is his Laser Horn which he hardly uses. just because he has a Lightsaber doesn't mean it makes up for everything else, when everything else is absolutely poor.
While it's true Destroyah had stubby arms he was also easily able to drag the adult Godzilla around by his tail. The adult form was also capable of take melee hits and seems to have strong armor. And yes I would count the laser horn as a melee weapon. I know it has laser energy but it still acts like a melee weapon in how it sliced and corresponds to Destroyahs movemebts.
His aggragate forms also pulled off some melee combos by transforming mid air and landing hard on other monsters. The extra mouth thing also delivers a powerful punch capable of pericing Juniors skin and leaving a nasty dent.
Sure Destroyah sucks at punching but he still is pretty strong physically.

I would say the majority of monsters are great melee fights. Let's focus on the ones that suck:
Kumonga, Mothra, Battra (adult), Hedorah (though the argument could be made that Hedorah is the best melee monster because melee seemed to be completely ineffective against him and actually damaged Godzilla), SMG, Heisei Rodan. There's some other monsters like Varan or Manda that we have no idea what their melee abilities are.

As for my personal input I would say Gigan would be an easy say. The millenium version is much stronger with the chainsaw hands but he faced a much stronger Godzilla and was killed off twice easily so we never really got the full extent of it's powers.

Out of all the insectoid kaiju Megaguirus claims the spot for best melee fighter. Femuto could also be pretty good given her extra legs and weight: I could easily see her charging other monsters and knocking them over just like she did to G14.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Vatarian
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Vatarian »

1: Showa Godzilla
2: FW Godzilla
3: LPG
4: Biollante
5: Zilla Jr
6: Titanosaurus
6: Jett Jaguar
7: Striker Eureka
8: Hokmuto
9: Otachi
10: Kong

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Biollante is almost unfair in that she has a really long reach. It's almost ironic her melee attacks have long reach but her projectile is close to medium range. :lol: I think Gigan is pretty good as is Meglon when it has someone telling it how to fight, he may not be smart enough to figure it out on his own but he is smart enough to understand instruction. Having big weapons for limbs doesn't hurt either of them in the melee department either.