Favorite Godzilla Peformance?

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Pkmatrix
Futurian

Favorite Godzilla Peformance?

Post by Pkmatrix »

Of all the Godzilla films, which film or films did you think had the best Godzilla performance? I mean of the character, not the actual human actors. In what films did you think the combination of suit, animatronics, computer animation, and sound effects came together to give a memorable performance from Godzilla?

My favorites (in reverse chronological order):
  • Godzilla (2014) - This is no surprise, I think, and many of us would've been furious had they disappointed on this front. Godzilla's fury, his intelligence, and even his exhaustion were expressed very well, and IMO this is probably the performance to beat from now on.

GMK - The last great suit performance, IMO. As the only film in the Millennium series to utilize animatronics, the movie makes great use and Godzilla gives a performance that just drips villainy.

Godzilla vs. Megaguirus - The movie may be silly and over-the-top, but the performance from Godzilla here is great fun: he smart, he's creative, his energetic. This is a movie that truly is saved by Godzilla.

Godzilla vs. Destroyah - A good performance, the filmmakers manage to get across Godzilla's pain (both physical and emotional) really well. Godzilla's
    Spoiler:
    attempt to save Junior
    near the end is heartbreaking. (Yeah, I put it in spoiler tags. What'cha gonna do 'bout it?)

Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah - For a movie where Godzilla doesn't show up until past the half-way point and has a whole host of problems (for me, at least), Godzilla's performance here is fantastic. The movie took the lessons learned from RoG and GvB, then applied emotions beyond confusion or anger to Godzilla. The scene where Shindo confronts Godzilla has no words, yet is one of the most emotional scenes Godzilla ever got the chance to participate in. Wonderful, just wonderful.

The Return of Godzilla - That sneer! This was the first movie where I ever felt Godzilla was truly ANGRY, and knowing that made his battle with Super X that much more suspenseful. Godzilla was awake, he was pissed, and he was coming for YOU. O_O Also, the scream at the volcano (at least in the US version)! Wonderful touch.

Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla (1974) - One of the biggest strengths of the '70s films was that they all had strong performances from Godzilla, it was a period where he was a bit more humanlike in his behavior and, as a result, had a ton of personality. Of these, my favorite was the performance in GvMG, where he gives us a fun and well-rounded show. We don't get a whole lot of Godzilla here, but when he's around he is an absolute delight.

Son of Godzilla - I don't care at all for the suit, but I really enjoyed the performance here. Godzilla as lazy, stern, but ultimately caring father was a side we hadn't seen before and haven't seen much of since, but here it was done really well.
How about you guys? What were your favorite performances?

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Re: Favorite Godzilla Peformance?

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Godzilla 1985, King Ghidorah, and Final Wars. Godzilla has never seemed more baddass and unstoppable as in these three films. GMK and "The Thing" are very high up there as well.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

Godzilla 2014, Godzilla 1984, Godzilla 1964 and Godzilla 1974 had the best performances.

I'm also somewhat fond of GINO's performance. Yeah yeah, but I really liked the animal cunning he displayed. He used his environment to his advantage, used his enemies own weapons against them, and even set traps and ambushes.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

Breakdown wrote:Godzilla 2014, Godzilla 1984, Godzilla 1964 and Godzilla 1974 had the best performances.

I'm also somewhat fond of GINO's performance. Yeah yeah, but I really liked the animal cunning he displayed. He used his environment to his advantage, used his enemies own weapons against them, and even set traps and ambushes.
That's true. For what it was, the performance itself was pretty good. :)

three
Keizer

Post by three »

Mothra vs. Godzilla he puts on a show. KK vs. Godzilla also featured him in stark contrast to the former i named; he was so much more energetic and definitely maniacal. either of those two top my list by and far.
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

Gojira is:Very Hiroshima®
axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

sir isaac newton is the deadliest son - of - a - bitch in space.

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla165 »

2014. Godzilla REALLY comes alive here, and is full of energy during every single one of his scenes aside from the end. He just has a certain "majestic" and ancient nature to him, as well as having this warrior feel to him.

FinalGoji. I always love it when Godzilla comes off as both intelligent, and nonchalant about things, and FinalGoji shows that extremely well. The deep brows really help this as well, and he's just pumped up with unstoppable energy and charisma; FinalGoji is essentially Showa pumped with steroids.

MireGoji. He has this "I couldn't care less and do not give a shit about your life" attitude that makes me adore watching him on-screen every time I watch 2000. Also the primal and instinctual character that Mire possesses drives home his incredible performance.

Bio/Ghidorah Godzilla. He's monstrous, animalistic, outright terrifying, and makes his presence known as soon as he appears.

#BotM

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

G vs Destroyah and G vs King Ghidorah have powerful emotional moments for Godzilla, and they are well done. It's not hard to see something human in him in those moments. For the animal powerhouse, G vs Biollante shows a beast that you want to stay away from. His reaction to the soldier who shoots him in the mouth seems like true anger and spite.

SoG does a lot to humanize Godzilla. I love the scene where Minya is jumping over a sleeping Godzilla's tail, and then Godzilla looks at Minya with a look that says " can you go play somewhere else?" The performance in this film shows a range or agitation, strength, and compassion.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Gerdzerl

Post by Gerdzerl »

My personal favorites (in no particular order):

- Godzilla (2014)
- Godzilla: Final Wars
- Godzilla vs. Megaguirus
- Godzilla 2000: Millennium
- The Return of Godzilla
- Terror of Mechagodzilla
- Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla (1974)
- Godzilla vs. Megalon
- Godzilla vs. Gigan
- Godzilla vs. Hedorah
- Son of Godzilla
- Invasion of Astro-Monster
- Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster
- Mothra vs. Godzilla
- King Kong vs. Godzilla
- Godzilla (1954)

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

three wrote:Mothra vs. Godzilla he puts on a show. KK vs. Godzilla also featured him in stark contrast to the former i named; he was so much more energetic and definitely maniacal. either of those two top my list by and far.
Ah, KKvG! That's the one I forgot! I don't care much for the movie, but I loved the performance from him (and Kong too, as goofy and different from '33 Kong as it was).

three
Keizer

Post by three »

Pkmatrix wrote:
three wrote:Mothra vs. Godzilla he puts on a show. KK vs. Godzilla also featured him in stark contrast to the former i named; he was so much more energetic and definitely maniacal. either of those two top my list by and far.
Ah, KKvG! That's the one I forgot! I don't care much for the movie, but I loved the performance from him (and Kong too, as goofy and different from '33 Kong as it was).
HA! someone else who thinks that KK is goofy!! i'm not alone. :'D
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

Gojira is:Very Hiroshima®
axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

sir isaac newton is the deadliest son - of - a - bitch in space.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

three wrote:HA! someone else who thinks that KK is goofy!! i'm not alone. :'D
There are people who DON'T thing Toho Kong is goofy? :shock: