Does Toho care about Godzilla?

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Does Toho care about Godzilla?

Post by Godzillian »

Does Toho really care about Godzilla? I mean really care like how Disney does about Mickey Mouse or DC does about Superman. Toho seems to only see Godzilla as their ultimate cash cow and nothing else. It's a sad thought but do they actually care about Godzilla beyond the money he can bring in for them?

H-Man
G-Grasper

Re: Does Toho care about Godzilla?

Post by H-Man »

In the Toho Kingdom podcast where they interviewed that Jeff Z. guy from the IDW comics, he talked about how Toho would give him pointers about details like tail length and stuff like that. If Godzilla were but a simple cash cow, I don't think they would care too much about that. But it seems that they were honestly worried about how he was portrayed.

ScootaVaran
EDF Instructor

Post by ScootaVaran »

Oh i'm quite sure that Toho cares about Godzilla. He's their largest icon after all (no pun intended).
Shit, how many statues and paintings has Toho made of him around the studio?
The quickest way into a woman's bed is through her parents. Have sex with them and you're in. -Zapp Brannigan
For some Coffee inspired art, viewtopic.php?f=19&t=11147

DrBreakfastMachine
Interpol Agent

Post by DrBreakfastMachine »

I think judging by their involvement in the latest film, they do care about how he's handled and perceived a lot more than they used to. In the past they basically gave Tristar the freedom to completely alter him as a character and they themselves let Ryuhei Kitamura deface him in Final Wars, but now they seem to be keeping a close eye on him to ensure we don't get any more Zillas.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

Above: Shogo Tomiyama

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla165 »

They care about him as a character, and how he is handled, they're just not interested in making anymore movies at this point.

#BotM

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

Considering they still will sue anyone who uses the name Godzilla/Zilla without permission, not to mention how tight they are on Godzilla's appearance and actions.

Toho very much cares about there property, but they also see how much profit they can make without putting out there own money. As long as Legendary follows there guidelines and want's to continue making Godzilla films Toho will let them.

Also they just painted Godzilla's image on the side of one of there buildings, not to mention all there statues on there studio. It's hard to say they don't care or are not very protective at the very least.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Toho cares about Godzilla as much as any company cares about a trademark that makes them a lot of money.

three
Keizer

Post by three »

yes, obviously. Toho, the company, doesn't just care about the money, either, if you watch any of the interviews with some of the directors courtesy of scifi japan, you can see that they don't just let anyone take hold of the name and film. it obviously matters how much the film will make, but they allow creative expression and experimentation with Godzilla, so...clearly, they do.
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

Gojira is:Very Hiroshima®
axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

sir isaac newton is the deadliest son - of - a - bitch in space.

70s_Goji
GPN Volunteer

Post by 70s_Goji »

Legion1979 wrote:Toho cares about Godzilla as much as any company cares about a trademark that makes them a lot of money.
Well said.

They care at least as much as Disney 'cares' about Mickey Mouse. ;) (IE: milk those teats for every drop they've got!)

ILL GREEN
Gotengo Officer

Post by ILL GREEN »

Toho just doesn't give a shit about the fans. If they did we'd have collector box sets every ten years of every Godzilla movie they ever made.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

ILL GREEN wrote:Toho just doesn't give a shit about the fans. If they did we'd have collector box sets every ten years of every Godzilla movie they ever made.
That's a poor example. Toho isn't in charge of releasing these movies over here. That's up to the companies who license the films from Toho. And since many different companies have done so, full box sets will never happen.

GodzillaFan1992
Gotengo Officer

Post by GodzillaFan1992 »

Pretty sure they do.