Ever Been Bullied Because You Like Kaiju?

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
KaijuFiend
Rainbowzilla

Re: Ever Been Bullied Because You Like Kaiju?

Post by KaijuFiend »

Giga Kaiju wrote:Are you...? Well, I'm not sure if gender decides if you will get bullied or not, but with people, who knows. It isn't as different as bullying is done to both men and women, but over kaiju-films, not that I know. I haven't meet a woman that is a kaiju fan as much as us, so yeah.
I just wonder if different attitudes between boys and girls would affect it. I do know that boys seem to lash out against other boys more for being "nerdy" and whatnot, whereas with girls I can't recall that having been a point of contention. It was more you either followed the latest fashion trends and popular bands, or you were lame because you didn't. I don't recall additional interests outside of that getting much flack. Then again, girls tend to talk about each other behind their backs, whereas boys are more upfront and harsher with each other. You don't see girls beating up other girls nearly as often as you do boys. At least that's how things seemed from my experiences, it may be different in other places.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

If a guy has a shit ton of anime shit in his room he's a loser. If a guy has a shit ton of football shit in his room he's a normal. Sports is just a different kind of nerdy.

tymon
Futurian

Post by tymon »

Ever Been Bullied Because You Like Kaiju?
Yeah, a few times, but they all got roasted by my atomic breath.
JAGzilla wrote:And then there was The Giant Condor. He...seemed very dedicated to what he was doing?

Creature22
EDF Instructor

Post by Creature22 »

Living Corpse wrote:If a guy has a shit ton of anime shit in his room he's a loser. If a guy has a shit ton of football shit in his room he's a normal. Sports is just a different kind of nerdy.
Sports is a different kind of fan base. I like soccer, enjoy watching it and used to play it all the time, but I absolutely hate American football and a lot of the fans that go with it. A lot of the "popular kids" from high schools are mainly kids that like sports, which isn't bad, but more of a normal and expected interest over something like film or music. Athletes tend to be more fit than people of other interests would be (so that they can play) and a high school football or baseball player is seen as the "ideal man" during that age to many, so other interests are kind of looked down on, especially if they are things like reading or video games. I've noticed its more accepted for a lot of those reasons and it's an overall healthy interest to have. Despite that, a lot of the people who get placed on that "status" early on turn into immature idiots. A lot of the ones from my high school aren't doing anything memorable out of high school (or still act the same in college) and seem like their best days are behind them. :?

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

KaijuFiend wrote:
Giga Kaiju wrote:Are you...? Well, I'm not sure if gender decides if you will get bullied or not, but with people, who knows. It isn't as different as bullying is done to both men and women, but over kaiju-films, not that I know. I haven't meet a woman that is a kaiju fan as much as us, so yeah.
I just wonder if different attitudes between boys and girls would affect it. I do know that boys seem to lash out against other boys more for being "nerdy" and whatnot, whereas with girls I can't recall that having been a point of contention. It was more you either followed the latest fashion trends and popular bands, or you were lame because you didn't. I don't recall additional interests outside of that getting much flack. Then again, girls tend to talk about each other behind their backs, whereas boys are more upfront and harsher with each other. You don't see girls beating up other girls nearly as often as you do boys. At least that's how things seemed from my experiences, it may be different in other places.
Girls get bullied by other things too. I have seen it happen a couple of times in High-School. If it isn't because not liking the same things, it is because of different behaviours, and wanting the other to do something they don't want. Same goes with guys. Is a sad truth that is often missed by some folks and let it slide.

From where I live, BOTH guys and girls can be harsh and upfront about something, and dismiss anything if they see fit (regardless of it is correct or not). Like you say, it depends on where it happens, but IT IS possible.

It could be the case with liking something 'obscure' like kaiju instead of sports, or something. -_-
UNSTOPPABLE FURY. UNTHINKABLE POWER. UNBREAKABLE WILL.
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.

skuzzy-punk-kid
Monarch Researcher

Post by skuzzy-punk-kid »

^
I've noticed that more people are becoming increasingly knowledgeable on the word kaiju itself, but that's due to Pacific Rim. I am merely mildly annoyed at the thought that more people associate kaiju with Pacific Rim than they do with Godzilla, even bragging about how we knew the word kaiju long before Pacific Rim came out. But, it would be pointless to bully someone over that. I wonder if this is a common mindset, or if I'm the only one who is thinking that...
What :g2k:is :g2k:so :g2k:frikkin' :g2k:wrong :g2k:with :g2k:the :g2k:frikkin' :g2k:G2K :g2k:smiley :g2k:?
The :g2k:G2K :g2k:smiley :g2k:is :g2k:not :g2k:causing :g2k:you :g2k:any :g2k:freakin' :g2k:harm :g2k:!!!

Dillyziller
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Dillyziller »

Living Corpse wrote:If a guy has a shit ton of anime shit in his room he's a loser. If a guy has a shit ton of football shit in his room he's a normal. Sports is just a different kind of nerdy.
I feel the reason people think this way is because when watching sports your watching real people. But when watching something fictional like anime nothing is real so they like to poke fun at people who care for fictional characters.
The way I look at it is its not like the sports players on TV are family or friends so they're just as fictional as an actual fictional character.
^This post in sexually offensive.

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

skuzzy-punk-kid wrote:^
I've noticed that more people are becoming increasingly knowledgeable on the word kaiju itself, but that's due to Pacific Rim. I am merely mildly annoyed at the thought that more people associate kaiju with Pacific Rim than they do with Godzilla, even bragging about how we knew the word kaiju long before Pacific Rim came out. But, it would be pointless to bully someone over that. I wonder if this is a common mindset, or if I'm the only one who is thinking that...
Seems like something that could happen, but luckily I haven't a case of that. A hipster kind of deal, or dumb-derp want-to-be-nerd of knowing the word with Kaiju, but I don't think. ;)
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Reminds me of a guy on Facebook who was saying "stop calling Godzilla, Chuthulu and the Kraken and King Kong kaiju. Kaiju is Pacific Rim monsters, Godzilla is not a kaiju."

This might have been a dick thing of me to do but I posted a screen shot of the first few seconds the film where green computer text shows that kaiju means monster and jager means hunter and said "dude seriously? The first less than 5 minutes of the movie tells you it's a Japanese for monster, it's not a made up term for a fictional movie, it's a real word."

skuzzy-punk-kid
Monarch Researcher

Post by skuzzy-punk-kid »

Living Corpse wrote:
Reminds me of a guy on Facebook who was saying "stop calling Godzilla, Chuthulu and the Kraken and King Kong kaiju. Kaiju is Pacific Rim monsters, Godzilla is not a kaiju."

This might have been a dick thing of me to do but I posted a screen shot of the first few seconds the film where green computer text shows that kaiju means monster and jager means hunter and said "dude seriously? The first less than 5 minutes of the movie tells you it's a Japanese for monster, it's not a made up term for a fictional movie, it's a real word."
I was one of those that bragged about knowing the word kaiju long before Pacific Rim came out. In fact, all throughout Godzilla's career, most of the characters in every one of his movies refer to all the monsters in question as kaiju (that is if one listens to the Japanese audio of the movie). Please tell me he finally acknowledged getting corrected?
What :g2k:is :g2k:so :g2k:frikkin' :g2k:wrong :g2k:with :g2k:the :g2k:frikkin' :g2k:G2K :g2k:smiley :g2k:?
The :g2k:G2K :g2k:smiley :g2k:is :g2k:not :g2k:causing :g2k:you :g2k:any :g2k:freakin' :g2k:harm :g2k:!!!

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

I was never bullied for liking Godzilla when I was in school. Granted, I stopped being vocal about it once I reached the second grade, but I was never really bullied for my interests. It was mainly because of my looks and personality.

I hated elementary school and middle school. My high school years were so much better...
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

Living Corpse wrote:

Wow. What a jerk. Had to be a troll for pulling stuff like that, it has to be. Anyway, ironic considering how at one point people though that kaiju was a term for EVERY SINGLE giant monster, including beings like Kong, Rhedosaurus, etc. And if by that is from some indication, only the PacRim monster can be called that... :roll:

Kaijunator
Xilien Halfling

Post by Kaijunator »

Nope. It's probably because I like and talk about other things. A few of my friends in seventh grade did see G'14. One of them even briefly discussed it with me in math class. I rarely talk about kaiju in school, except with this one friend who was a fan.
If you have digital copy codes for movies you want to give away, I'll gladly take them! :)
Dillyziller wrote:Evangelion 4.0: This is (not) a joke

It opens with Shinji, Asuka, and Rei walking along the lifeless, red earth. Suddenly the ground begins to shake.
Godzilla bursts from the ground, killing the 3 pilots. Godzilla will then battle his newest opponent...
parental issues.
TitanoGoji16 wrote:"Do you think C-Rex and FeMUTO could make sweet love down by the fire and give birth to Gabara?"
Best song ever.
YouTube!

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

That's how people in school notice when you're a fan or something. Blurting it out on a casual conversation. Is like a leap of faith and hoping not to fall on a bed of nice sharp spikes. :-x

Mastergodzilla
GPN Volunteer

Post by Mastergodzilla »

Yes. In school, I was.
:baragon: :destoroyah: :muto: :bagan: :g2k: :monsterx: :gigan: :mechagodzilla: :spacegodzilla: :g64: :godzilla: :tk:
Check out my YouTube Channel, GodzillaFan2004! Has everything Godzilla, from reviews of fan films to fan films themselves! Please subscribe!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCR1qg2 ... 4JEFNvBhCw

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

A surprisingly large number of people I've met think giant monsters are awesome.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

I was bullied a little for being quiet, but never for liking Godzilla. Everybody liked dinosaurs so nobody really cared about it.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

Creature22
EDF Instructor

Post by Creature22 »

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:I was bullied a little for being quiet, but never for liking Godzilla. Everybody liked dinosaurs so nobody really cared about it.
Yeah; everyone I knew thought Godzilla stuff was cool. If I got bullied as a kid it was mainly for me looking and acting like a total dork. :lol:
I think more than anything though I was just ignored; I didn't get "noticed" until I hit high school and started looking more mature.

Stevo_1985
JXSDF Technician

Post by Stevo_1985 »

Godzillas and giant monster movies in general have always been a guilty pleasure for me. I generally kept it a secret except for a few close friends.. Oh and my wife. Kind of hard to hide that from her.

Sorry Kiryu
#Notmymechagodzilla

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

My dad beats me up all the time and calls me a "kaijew luver"
I tell him to stop and he calls me a "winer"
Never forget tadpole :godzilla: