The Official Godzilla Knockoff Thread

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Ookondru99
Monarch Researcher

The Official Godzilla Knockoff Thread

Post by Ookondru99 »

Ok I don't really know where to put this, so a mod can put it wherever. (If it's been done already merge it)
Now most of these I haven't seen so I wanted to know what some of the people who have seen them think.
We all(most of us) know, godzilla had a lot of knockoffs in the mid 1960's (some could say the big G himself was a knockoff, but that's a topic for another discussion), so which of these are worth viewing. In this topic I'll ask a number of questions, such as:
How is the plot?
How are the effects in relation to toho films of the same era?
How interesting are the Kaiju?
How interesting are the Kaiju's powers?
How are the designs of the Kaiju?
That being said here are the contenders.
Reptilicus (1961)
Gorgo (1961)
Gamera, aka Gammera the Invincible (1965)
The X from Outer Space (1967)
Gappa, the Triphibian Monsters (1967)
Yongary, Monster from the Deep (1967)
Pulgasari (1985)
That being said, what do you esteemed members of TK, think of these films. I'll be honest in saying the only one I've actually seen is Gappa.
Last edited by Ookondru99 on Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TK's Resident Red Bamboo :destoroyah:

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Re: The Official Godzilla Knockoff Thread

Post by Space Hunter M »

The Return of Godzilla is a BLATANT ripoff of Giant Monster Gamera because:
A, cold war tension emphasized
B, monster first attacks a power plant to feed on its energy
C, Oshima Island is used in the plan to defeat the monster
D, has a significantly altered U.S. version.
#checkyourprivilege

Ookondru99
Monarch Researcher

Post by Ookondru99 »

I appreciate your output, but like I said that's a topic for another discussion. What are your views on these movies listed.

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

Ookondru99 wrote:I appreciate your output, but like I said that's a topic for another discussion. What are your views on these movies listed.
I think he was joking.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

Ookondru99
Monarch Researcher

Post by Ookondru99 »

^Sorry didn't read it that way, my bad

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

Necro'ing this thread so I don't have to make another (first one I found with this type of subject), but it looks like there's another knockoff to add to the list.

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/godzilla-f ... 54977.html
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

Young Guy
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Young Guy »

Smuggers wrote:Necro'ing this thread so I don't have to make another (first one I found with this type of subject), but it looks like there's another knockoff to add to the list.

Ah, I heard about this one not too long ago. It won't see the light of day.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Smuggers wrote:Necro'ing this thread so I don't have to make another (first one I found with this type of subject), but it looks like there's another knockoff to add to the list.

I use the term ripoff sparingly. If a movie takes a lot of elements from another movie yet is still good I wouldn't consider it a ripoff. I might consider the first Showa Gamera film a godzilla ripoff but the Heisei films developed their own style and weren't a ripoff.
Godzilla could be considered a rip off of the beast from 20,000 fathoms because it takes some elements from beast but I don't consider it one because it has a completely different tone and is an amazing movie. For this reason I'm hesitant to call something a knockoff until I've seen it and actually think it should be.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

M.o.g.u.e.r.a14
EDF Instructor

Post by M.o.g.u.e.r.a14 »

But Godzilla's more bigger as a monster and a series so It's all good.
Fan of Godzilla, Pacific Rim, Sailor Moon, and Transformers.
Dezerb wrote: buenos ding dong didily dias senor.
http://i.imgur.com/PpE0DEQ.gif

Moguera14 X Sailor Moon

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: I use the term ripoff sparingly. If a movie takes a lot of elements from another movie yet is still good I wouldn't consider it a ripoff. I might consider the first Showa Gamera film a godzilla ripoff but the Heisei films developed their own style and weren't a ripoff.
Godzilla could be considered a rip off of the beast from 20,000 fathoms because it takes some elements from beast but I don't consider it one because it has a completely different tone and is an amazing movie. For this reason I'm hesitant to call something a knockoff until I've seen it and actually think it should be.
So... you didn't see the pictures?
M.o.g.u.e.r.a14 wrote:But Godzilla's more bigger as a monster and a series so It's all good.
Gonna be honest, I have no idea what you're trying to say here.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

KaijuFiend
Rainbowzilla

Post by KaijuFiend »

I've seen Gorgo and Gamera. They're both pretty dang enjoyable, and Gorgo is notable for being the UK's giant monster, much like America had Kong and Japan had Godzilla.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Smuggers wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote: I use the term ripoff sparingly. If a movie takes a lot of elements from another movie yet is still good I wouldn't consider it a ripoff. I might consider the first Showa Gamera film a godzilla ripoff but the Heisei films developed their own style and weren't a ripoff.
So... you didn't see the pictures?

Nope! I'm doing a complete 180, yeah it certainly is trying to capitalize on godzilla, no denying it.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I can help you with a couple of the films.

Reptilicus has a standard plot for a 50s sci fi/monster film, but the destruction scenes are more like a kaiju film. As a kaiju, Reptilicus is basic in design and ability. His poison spit seems like an interesting idea, but we never see its effect on humans. The effects are mediocre, especially the marionette of the monster. It's movements aren't really realistic. That's not to say the film isn't enjoyable, though.

Yongary is a better film, but hard to find. Yongary feels like someone took elements of both Godzilla and Gamera and mashed them into one film. Yongary's suit is on par with the Toho suits from the 60s, and the addition of a laser to his fire breath is interesting. The laser is hardly used, though; Only once, I think. There's a kid, like Gamera, but he's not a major part of the plot. As far as effects go, I have no complaints. The miniatures are decent as well. The first part, before Yongary surfaces, may be a little slow, but you might like it.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

GodzillaFanatic2001
Monarch Researcher

Post by GodzillaFanatic2001 »

One film to mention is "Thunder Of Gigantic Serpent" from 1988. At one point, a girl is kidnapped, and the snake comes to rescue her for the finale, and to me it just screams Mothra. This film is on youtube for any interested!
edgaguirus wrote: Yongary is a better film, but hard to find.
This ones on youtube as well!.
HayesAJones wrote:
Godzilla 2000 wrote:Its harmless fun, pure and simple.
As opposed to those dangerously fun movies.

Creature22
EDF Instructor

Post by Creature22 »

It's funny how a lot of films try to cash in on the success of the Godzilla franchise, when Godzilla itself was inspired by King Kong and The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms.

It goes around full circle; in ways. Harryhausen even quoted that he felt the Godzilla movies copied his film.

"Oh, the Godzilla stuff was a direct ...' Harryhausen bites his tongue as he says it. 'I don't like to use that word. But that was a filch from The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms."

I wouldn't say it's a rip off, but definitely inspired from those movies.

As for that stuff from the 60s, none of it takes any of the material as seriously as the 1954 Gojira did. I recall the first Gamera being pretty boring, but I enjoyed Gorgo a whole lot (Gappa is basically the same story but in Japan). Of the 1960s monster movies, I think Gorgo is my favorite. I saw Yonggary long ago as well but don't know how it holds up. I also remember Reptilicus, but that was another one that wasn't too interesting for me. X from Outer Space was a lot of fun, and I remember enjoying that one as a kid. That was like a completely different thing; for some reason it really stood out.

Pulgasari I saw much later, but I was way too intrigued about the crazy production history to really pay attention to the film. I recall it had a disappointing ending though...?
The Pulgasari design I thought was really cool. I also thought it interesting with how huge of a production it really was; it literally has like, a cast of thousands for the battle scenes. Another interesting note is that Pulgasari was portrayed by Kenpachiro Satsuma, who performed as Godzilla during the Heisei series.