Does Toho care about their films North American Fan Base?

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”

yes
50%
no
50%

Total votes: 14

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Does Toho care about their films North American Fan Base? Discuss

B34sT
Interpol Agent

Re: Does Toho care about their films North American Fan Base

Post by B34sT »

Absolutely! Toho understands that there is a large audience in the west which is why they even commission their own English dubs for their movies.

Also don't forget how they worked on various projects with American companies in the past such as the King Kong movies, Invasion of Astro Monster, WoTG, and Last Dinosaur to name a few. So they definitely care about the North Amaerican fan base.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

B34sT wrote:Absolutely! Toho understands that there is a large audience in the west which is why they even commission their own English dubs for their movies.

Also don't forget how they worked on various projects with American companies in the past such as the King Kong movies, Invasion of Astro Monster, WoTG, and Last Dinosaur to name a few. So they definitely care about the North Amaerican fan base.
But...your examples go back to the '60s. And "The Last Dinosaur" doesn't count because that was a co-production with Tsuburaya. Toho had nothing to do with it. Preparing dubs for international exports doesn't necessarily mean Toho "cares about the American fanbase". It just means they're trying to make some money from overseas sales. Which is still true today.

Gojira1963
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira1963 »

If a company is concerned about delivering a quality product to their overseeas market you would think they do care. If you continue to deliver a shoddy product you're going to loose customers. So I hope Toho does care. I think they do care, I just dont know to what level they care.
Liam F.

My science fiction/Fantasy blog. with Godzilla content! http://foleyfunfilmfacts.wordpress.com/

Shadow
Futurian

Post by Shadow »

No of course not. All those dubbed versions of their films, done for shits and giggles. All the merchandise done over seas, they painted them with dyed semen so they can laugh at us when we touch them.
Half as long, twice as bright.
Resized ImageResized Image
Greatest Advertisement of all time.
Greatest Parody Video of all time.
TK's Resident Master Crazy Narrator and Attack on Titan fan

ScootaVaran
EDF Instructor

Post by ScootaVaran »

Well yeah, Of course they do.
Shit just look at all the stuff Takarada has done for the fanbase with the help of Toho.
The quickest way into a woman's bed is through her parents. Have sex with them and you're in. -Zapp Brannigan
For some Coffee inspired art, viewtopic.php?f=19&t=11147

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

If they did truly care, they would allow someone other than Universal to distribute King Kong vs Godzilla, so we can get the fucking Japanese version already.

Mecha-SpaceGhidorah
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mecha-SpaceGhidorah »

They care to a degree. They can make some money, so they have an interest in the North American (and whole international for that matter) fan base. But I would put too much stock in how deeply they care about much beside their bank accounts.
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man, and let history make its own judgments.
~ Zefram Cochrane (c. 2073)

tokyostateofmind
Monarch Researcher

Post by tokyostateofmind »

Sometimes I feel like Toho doens't really care about their films' fanbase at all. I mean, if I had Godzilla on my studios roster and understood the levity he brings I would Market the crap out of him. Granted I have no idea what is going on in Japan regarding Godzilla but from an outsiders point of view, I feel like Toho hype everywhere has died down.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Toho doesn't "care" so to speak, but they don't ignore the fanbase.

They're really only in it for the money sadly, which is why we haven't gotten a Godzilla anime or a new cartoon.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Guys, Toho doesn't even care to properly remaster/restore their films. Do you think they REALLY care about the American fan base? It's all about the money to them.