Favorite Godzilla/kaiju joke/refference in pop culture.

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Tokage
Monarch Researcher

Re: Favorite Godzilla/kaiju joke/refference in pop culture.

Post by Tokage »

S9y
Monarch Researcher

Post by S9y »

http://i1.theportalwiki.net/img/4/40/Ca ... ells01.wav

This one I just remembered is better than the ones I mentioned before. More than one godzilla exist in Half Life

Tokage
Monarch Researcher

Post by Tokage »

Godzilla 1995 wrote:
The problem is it's meant to be an insult.
Eh, it's just a riff on the common theme of the film snob. Godzilla movies (particularly the '70s ones) will always be a target for jokes. It's easier just to roll with it and see the humor.

Monster Zero
Futurian

Post by Monster Zero »

I think in one of the episodes of Billy and Mandy, they were travelling through Monster Island and saw Godzilla, Gamera, Rodan, and Mothra.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

In the most recent episode of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, "Attack of the Mega Shredder," a giant mutant is created with Godzilla-esque spiked plates on its back, and its theme music is very clearly modeled on Ifukube's Enter Godzilla cue.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

djkgoji
GPN Volunteer

Post by djkgoji »

Hands down, this is my favorite Godzilla reference of all time:

"Is he strong?" No, not really. He's got radioactive blood, after all.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

In the comic Mother Goose and Grimm, Grim has had fantasies of being a giant dogasaurus called Grimmzilla.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Starsteam
Keizer

Post by Starsteam »

I think my new favorite has to be Grimlock doing the drop-kick from Godzilla vs Megalon in the recent Transformers cartoon. It's too obvious of a reference.

Jatahaxe
Interpol Agent

Post by Jatahaxe »

djkgoji wrote:Hands down, this is my favorite Godzilla reference of all time:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/73 ... 38a6f2.jpg
Ah, I don't know how I didn't think of that. That's mine, too. C&H and Godzilla were pretty much my two icons as a little kid.
Monsters are the real people.

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

Noble Saber
Xilien Halfling

Post by Noble Saber »

The end of the Simpsons episode 30 Minutes To Tokyo. That was the closest we've seen Godzilla with Gamera thus far.

The reference in Pee Wee's Big Adventure was pretty memorable as well.

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

The Simpsons has a fair share of good moments. Those I'd consider to be one of the coolest to see in an episode.

Others would have to be in the top of my mind, these two from TV show, Supernatural:

and in a some dialogue parts in the episode "Heaven and Hell" in Season 4:

1.- "Not this time. You do not want to get between these two armies. It's Godzilla and Mothra. If one side doesn't get us, the other one will..."

2.- "I got to hand it to you, Sammy. Bringing them all together all at once -- angels and demons. It was a damn good plan...

Yeah, well, when you got Godzilla and Mothra on your ass, best to get out of their way and let them fight.

Yeah, now you're just bragging..."
UNSTOPPABLE FURY. UNTHINKABLE POWER. UNBREAKABLE WILL.
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.

KaijuFiend
Rainbowzilla

Post by KaijuFiend »

Yeah... Oh yeah... Ultra Peepi (from the Invader Zim episode "Hamstergeddon")

And who can forget this classic, with it's jibe at Toho's tight hold on Godzilla copyright?

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

KaijuFiend wrote:And who can forget this classic, with it's jibe at Toho's tight hold on Godzilla copyright?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fu62k4K4sQ4
I wonder if there are Japanese who are offend by the Austin Powers joke, as there are Americans offend by the pimp and cop scene in GFW?

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Then they might find the reference from Rush Hour 2 offensive. Jackie Chan says Orientals are calm, but his friend says that " They be trippin whenever" Godzilla shows up.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

People are offended by the cop/pimp scene in GFW? I just found it silly.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

30 Rock has had several great Godzilla references. My favorite is when someone accuses Tracy of having done nothing to help prevent Godzilla attacks to which Tracy responds "If anything I've increased the likelyhood!" Plus Dragonball has had numerous Godzilla/kaiju references, same for its sister series Dr. Slump.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

Now a days, If there's something that some animes do when a monster/creature is shown or take a part in the story, it most of the times uses roars from many kaiju.

Despite not being a "audience" not as big as before, it truly has left its mark in other media in Japan, often being referenced in that kind of way. That is awesome. :D
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I've seen two magazine covers. One is The Observer. When Laura Miller was mayor, they had a story about her and the council. The cover depicted Laura as Mothra and the council as a Godzilla like beast. The Observer had another cover for a story on rock bands. They showed a kaiju similar to Varan rocking out with a guitar.

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

Well, like in my post above, here's some proof on anime I had seen its first episode some time back but decided to share just cause...

Yeah...

:P