Favorite Godzilla/kaiju joke/refference in pop culture.

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Spuro
Keizer

Re: Favorite Godzilla/kaiju joke/refference in pop culture.

Post by Spuro »

So I just found something today...

Godzilla, Ultraman, Gamera Star Wars, War of the Worlds, Gundam and Star Trek all crossed over at once in an anime called Daicon III.

Apparently Anno was involved with this project. Shin Godzilla wasn't Anno's first foray into Godzilla.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Good god, she killed everything and everyone.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

So many sci fi and anime references there.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

It was opening animation created for the Daicon III Convention in 1981. There was also a follow up done in 1983 for Daicon IV, which was set to ELOs Twilight, and featured even more sci-fi references both Japanese and Western. The group the formed to make these shorter later became Studio Gainax.

Daicon III
https://youtu.be/gXwGIMCYkk4

Daicon IV
https://youtu.be/brUwfQncCvI

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

DIdn't Anno actually drop out of school because he was spending so much time on the Daicon animations
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Gotta say the "Zillo Beast" episode from TCW. I rewatched it along with a couple of other episodes sometime ago, and I have to say that I was shocked by the sheer amount of references to Godzilla, Kong and kaiju films in general. From the less obvious stuff like the moral dilemma surrounding the beast and Palpatine seeking to exploit it to straight up Maser Canons. Seriously, they weren't even subtle with what they were :lol:

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

If you want another not so subtle kaiju reference then check out the Humonganaut episode of Mystery Inc. The humonganauts are obvious Gargantua homages, and they even have a woman sing the "words get stuck in my throat" song.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Destorogoji
G-Grasper

Post by Destorogoji »

Holy shit, that was awesome, even the Gundam turned into Ideon (one of Anno's biggest inspirations for Evangelion was Space Runaway Ideon).

Back on thread, there's a few; I love the classic one from the Simpsons in Japan where Godzilla, Gamera, Mothra and Rodan attack the plane. Gamera, Rodan and Mothra also appeared in Monster Island during the episode with Lisa learning hockey or something.

There's also this episode of Franklin The Turtle being afraid of monsters in his shell, and in one part, a lot of Gamera villains go out of the shell as ghosts.

A short one is Ghidorah's cameo in Courage The Cowardly Dog.
Here's my Instagram, I post photos of my figures, customs and sometimes other stuff:
https://www.instagram.com/buruno.98/

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

There was this one show about ninjas on Disney (the name escapes me sadly) that had two of my favorite gags.

In one episode, they were trying to get a magic egg, which a lizard ends up eating, turning it into Godzilla. He stomps the villian then walks into the sea while waving at the cast.

Then an episode where they go to Tokyo had Godzilla and Gigan fighting in the background the whole episode with NO ONE acknowledging it. It was funny because it PERFECTLY encapsulated how the series felt with all these random kaiju.

RIP Evan.