Page 7 of 7

Re: Toho Sci-Fi Films you haven't seen

Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:05 am
by MaxRebo320
Dr. Professor wrote:I've owned a copy of Atragon for months now and still haven't watched it. I've been waiting for my brother to come over to watch it with him (he loves Manda) but he hasn't had the time. -_-

If he's in it for Manda alone, he'll be disappointed. But the movie itself is fantastic, watch it ASAP.

Re: Toho Sci-Fi Films you haven't seen

Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:10 am
by Dr. Professor
MaxRebo320 wrote:
Dr. Professor wrote:I've owned a copy of Atragon for months now and still haven't watched it. I've been waiting for my brother to come over to watch it with him (he loves Manda) but he hasn't had the time. -_-

If he's in it for Manda alone, he'll be disappointed. But the movie itself is fantastic, watch it ASAP.

I've told him before that Manda's only a small part of the film, so he should be good, haha. Yeah, I'm very intrigued by the premise of it so I'm excited to finally get around to watching it.

Re: Toho Sci-Fi Films you haven't seen

Posted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:53 am
by GojiDog
I own the Toho Sci-Fi three pack DVD with Mothra on it, but I still haven't watched the other films on the set (Battle in Outer Space, and The H-Man) yet.

I should probably get on that.

Re: Toho Sci-Fi Films you haven't seen

Posted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:29 am
by eabaker
GojiDog wrote:I own the Toho Sci-Fi three pack DVD with Mothra on it, but I still haven't watched the other films on the set (Battle in Outer Space, and The H-Man) yet.

I should probably get on that.


For sure. Battle isn't a great movie, but the effects sequences are pretty stunning. H-Man comes a lot closer to greatness, at times establishing the same kind of atmosphere Honda would later use in Matango. And Masaru Sato's main theme for H-Man is awesome.

Re: Toho Sci-Fi Films you haven't seen

Posted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:27 am
by Mr_Goji_and_Watch
H-Man is pretty good, would have been great if it weren't for the dreadful exposition scenes with the frog and the slow car chase. There's lots of wonderful atmospheric moments and some dynamic staging. I really love the noir-ish look Honda achieved with his camera man and production design crew.

Re: Toho Sci-Fi Films you haven't seen

Posted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:52 am
by Kaiju-King42
I've yet to catch Gorath. Or The Human Vapor. I've heard really good things about both of them

Re: Toho Sci-Fi Films you haven't seen

Posted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:51 am
by Grievous
The Secret Of The Telegian is the big one for me...
& I've heard its really good.

I'm lucky enough to have seen most of the other Toho Sci-Fi
films from that era...including The Human Vapor...which is
in my opinion an underrated classic.

Re: Toho Sci-Fi Films you haven't seen

Posted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:35 am
by Godzilla21
Grievous wrote:The Secret Of The Telegian is the big one for me...
& I've heard its really good.

I'm lucky enough to have seen most of the other Toho Sci-Fi
films from that era...including The Human Vapor...which is
in my opinion an underrated classic.


Telegian for me was a bit boring and predictable. But still if you love that classic Toho era feel you need to pick it up

Re: Toho Sci-Fi Films you haven't seen

Posted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:34 am
by Grievous
Godzilla21 wrote:Telegian for me was a bit boring and predictable. But still if you love that classic Toho era feel you need to pick it up

Is it actually available on a legitimate DVD with English subtitles?

Re: Toho Sci-Fi Films you haven't seen

Posted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:36 am
by Godzilla21
Grievous wrote:
Godzilla21 wrote:Telegian for me was a bit boring and predictable. But still if you love that classic Toho era feel you need to pick it up

Is it actually available on a legitimate DVD with English subtitles?


I dont think so. Mine is a boot but it's from the best boot company out there. PM me if interested

Re: Toho Sci-Fi Films you haven't seen

Posted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:51 am
by Grievous
Godzilla21 wrote:I don't think so. Mine is a boot but it's from the best boot company out there. PM me if interested

Image

*Sends PM*

Re: Toho Sci-Fi Films you haven't seen

Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:25 pm
by LockBite
- Matango
- The Mysterians
- Destroy All Monsters (somehow)
- Gunhed

Re: Toho Sci-Fi Films you haven't seen

Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:44 pm
by Mr_Goji_and_Watch
Kaiju-King42 wrote:I've yet to catch Gorath. Or The Human Vapor. I've heard really good things about both of them


Gorath has a good first ten or so minutes but it's pretty boring. Just watch The Human Vapor. It's a terribly under-appreciated classic in the west.

Re: Toho Sci-Fi Films you haven't seen

Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:47 am
by KaijusHunter
I am proud to say I have seen every single Sci-Fi film from Toho made from 1954 to 1984. These include lesser-known titles like ''Monkey Sun'' (1959), ''Konto 55: Grand Outer Space Adventure'' (1969) and ''The Phoenix'' (1978).
While the ''Sci-Fi Movie Listing'' on the main website is not perfect and would need an update, I watched everything that has something to do with fantasy/science-fiction.
I do have to catch up on their war movies though.

Re: Toho Sci-Fi Films you haven't seen

Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:26 am
by PitchBlackProgress
Pretty sure the only ones I haven’t seen are Half-Human, Japanese cut of Gorath, and Prophesies of Nostradamus.

Added in 3 minutes 56 seconds:
Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:
Kaiju-King42 wrote:I've yet to catch Gorath. Or The Human Vapor. I've heard really good things about both of them


Gorath has a good first ten or so minutes but it's pretty boring. Just watch The Human Vapor. It's a terribly under-appreciated classic in the west.

AH-GREED! I’m almost disgusted there’s not more discussion going on about The Human Vapor around these parts, that movie has to be the most underrated Toho Sci-Fi flick just for being as good as it is.
It’s really on an entirely separate bar, true class.