Favorite Moment in the Godzilla Series

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Rodan
Gotengo Officer

Favorite Moment in the Godzilla Series

Post by Rodan »

Go for it.

What's your single, defining scene or moment in the entire 28- (29?)-movie series?

Watching my Criterion copy of the first film tonight confirmed that, for me, the single moment that defines Godzilla for me is his entrance over the hill on Oto Island.

Or, "How to successfully horrify with zero fanfare."

Everything about it is understated. There's no music cue, no buildup within the scene, no destruction or danger for our characters. In a film rife with moody night shots, Godzilla makes his first appearance as a terrible-looking puppet prop in cheerfully broad daylight.

And it absolutely works. It doesn't matter that he's a cheesy prop. The film has built up to this moment for so long, teased us with so many dark images and possible explanations, that by the time he pops up over the hill, it's a sudden and realistic culmination of everything the film has been teaching us to dread. What really sells this is the reactions of the rest of the cast -- they don't let out horror-movie shrieks, nor do they respond with confusion or interest. Instead we get a crowd reaction that's almost one of disgust followed by fear, pulled off particularly well by Emiko, our anchor for the scene. In the end Godzilla slips away and we're left with nothing but a trail of footprints leading to the ocean.

It's more frightening for that. The terror by this point in the film isn't that the characters have to face a force power to destroy -- it's that that that force exists, and it's disgusting and strange and uncanny and sudden. It pops up in broad daylight without warning, and it doesn't startle or attack -- it simply confirms that it's there, and that it will continue to be there. In keeping with the film's atomic weapons theme, the most horrible realization of the film isn't the destruction wrought upon cities or people. It's that these things that first seem so fantastic and awful so casually exist in our world.

For me, the image of that goofy-looking monster popping up over the hill is the image of Godzilla.

But what's yours? It could be serious, silly, exciting, nostalgic, or anything else. What's your moment in the series?

Black Lion
Monsterland Worker

Re: Favorite Moment in the Godzilla Series

Post by Black Lion »

How can you ask us to choose just one??

I love the scenes where Godzilla comes out of nowhere and just stuns those who were unfortunate enough to witness it.

The first Godzilla scene I remember is in KKvG, when the Seahawk is investigating the iceberg. First of all, the lights and the sound effects were just downright creepy. I didn't know what Cherenkov Light was when I was 10, but I knew it scared me. Icebergs should not glow or hum. Then after the sub hits the berg, the steady buildup of disasters for the crew keep pulling on the tension. Geiger counter response. Atomic batteries damaged. Sonar out of order. Emergency lights turn the scene eerily red. The sub is leaking everywhere and keeps getting hit by something.

The Captain is struggling to keep his composure. Secure all the bulkheads. Secure the hatch.

The music cue from the John Beck version gives a sudden sinking feeling.

Then the sudden flames and the roar.

The whole sequence just gives an air of mystery, suspense, and dread that embodies the creature to me. Despite the movie being comical in nature, it had some of the best scenes to show how terrifying Godzilla was, even though he didn't even get top billing. Of course this was before he became a hero.

Runners up go to his attack on the nuclear plant in 1985 and his breaking through the electric barricade in '54
Gamera: Guardian of Earth and Friend of All Children*

*except those who are currently out of his immediate field of vision. Sorry.

tymon
Futurian

Post by tymon »

Well since this is a topic that specifies one single moment, it'd be nice to stick to that, as difficult as it is. ;)

For me it's probably Godzilla exiting Mt. Mihara in Godzilla vs. Biollante. Big, powerful, yet simple, with one of Ifukube's best themes blaring. Godzilla's just a BAMF in that scene.
JAGzilla wrote:And then there was The Giant Condor. He...seemed very dedicated to what he was doing?

kiryu42red
Interpol Agent

Post by kiryu42red »

my scene would have to be in godzilla vs gigan when godzilla grabs all three of ghidorah's heads, picks him up, and slams him on the ground multiple times

JGAR
Futurian

Post by JGAR »

Godzilla beating up GINO in GFW
Yooo 8-)

MustafaDaisenso
Monarch Researcher

Post by MustafaDaisenso »

I'm having a hard time pinning down one moment, so I'll mention one or two:

From my childhood: The first time I saw the disguised Mechagodzilla battle Godzilla in the oil refinery, I was in awe, it was just so badass and unique; two Godzilla's doing battle against each other, and then Mechagodzilla's big reveal, the subsequent clash that sent Godzilla reeling into the bay. So amazing!

Recently: The final battle between Godzilla and Gigan: right after Godzilla regains his strength, he and Gigan really begin to go at it, like never before in the film. The choreography between Nakajima and Satsuma is really great, its an awesome rumble, yet its almost graceful. Definitely one of Nakajima's finest moments.
"I'm a freelance reporter, but... you could call me a scandal hunter hahahaha…"
Check out my YouTube channel for restored Toku trailers in HD
Rodan 1.85:1 US Reconstruction Thread

Cinematic Kaiju
Interpol Agent

Post by Cinematic Kaiju »

God, there are so many.

I have to go with (like posted above), Godzilla making his triumphant return in Biollante. It just says bad ass all over that scene. And scene would be the fighter jets attacking Godzilla in 84 when he appears in Tokyo Bay "Look at the size of that thing!"
"The only sensible way to live in this world is WITHOUT rules."
-The Joker
Heath Ledger

gojira96
Monarch Researcher

Post by gojira96 »

The final scene of the original film.

20th Century Boy
Futurian

Post by 20th Century Boy »

Shindo versus Godzilla in Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah. It contains just about everything I love in a Godzilla movie, or a movie in general:
-Akira Ifukube music
-Human-monster interaction
-Occurs as Godzilla is doing what he does best: destroying a city.
-Powerful emotional reactions
-Great special effect
-Best. Death scene. Ever.

Dogbert
Monsterland Worker

Post by Dogbert »

I'm sutck between these two:

Monster X's appearance in Godzilla: Final wars

-----------------------------------------------------------

Anguirus' appearance in Godzilla vs mechagodzilla
---------------------------------------------------------

HELP!
I calculated the odds of this succeeding vs the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid, and I went ahead and did it anyways.

three
Keizer

Post by three »

one of the best for me is when the whole room of psychic kids in G vs Biollante hold up their dream drawings and the music plays. everyone of them has Godzilla emerging from the the volcano. i get chills so hard every time i see that because i know he's coming.

BUT

since that didn't actually involve him, i'd say the moment that does it for me is when he melts down and dies at the end of G vs Destroyah. the follow up with Jr in the smoke roaring faintly silhouetted and then the credits going over all of his scenes through Heisei makes me almost cry every time. it's really incredible, the whole sequence.
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

Gojira is:Very Hiroshima®
axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

sir isaac newton is the deadliest son - of - a - bitch in space.

GalacticPetey
Gotengo Officer

Post by GalacticPetey »

An easier question would be to name your favorite moment from each film.
I can't believe that Godzilla was the only surviving member of its species, but if we continue conducting nuclear tests, it's possible that another Godzilla might appear somewhere in the world again.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

I like Black Lion's example. For a film that was intended as a comedy, and was edited into a cheesy sci-fi flick, the submarine sequence is remarkably suspenseful.

Probably my favorite moment, however, is Godzilla's introduction in the subsequent film, Mothra vs. Godzilla: Godzilla bursts out of the ground with little warning, and immediately the entire cast & plot are thrown for a curve.
It's a wonderful - perhaps even perfect - example of Godzilla's chaotic, "walking WMD" character.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

I might have to go with the very first sequence of the original movie. The ship at sea, the peaceful but ever-so-slightly eerie source music, and the sudden, blinding nature of the horror, it all sets the tone - the sense of something intensely terrible tearing our lives asunder - right from the get-go. The desperation and helplessness of the crew sells the nightmare side of Godzilla long before we ever even see the creature.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Ligerzilla2014
G-Grasper

Post by Ligerzilla2014 »

I've got two more scenes from the original. First, the destruction and hospital scene just after Godzilla's attack. Once again, Ifukube's score perfectly captures the tone of the situation. The scenes with the irradiated child and the one following where the children watch their mother die are certainly some of the most emotional scenes in the franchise to date. This is also one of the few times where we get to see the effects that Godzilla's attack had on the city and its people, which, in a monster movie, is the key to driving home the impact of the events taking place. Second, the girls' prayer. The haunting yet beautiful melody really helps with the atmosphere of that scene and the overall tone of the movie. In addition, the way it is worked into the scene and the way it influences Serizawa are simply wonderful.