Toho's f**ked up moments...

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Toho's f**ked up moments...

Post by eabaker »

Janjira54 wrote:How about the part in Hedorah where a baby was stuck in FUCKING sludge?
The decision to put the emphasis on the word "fucking" there, rather than on "sludge," leads to some pretty strange and hideous imagery forming in my mind.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Noble Saber
Xilien Halfling

Post by Noble Saber »

Janjira54 wrote:How about the part in Hedorah where a baby was stuck in skreeonking sludge?
It was certainly something you don't see every day.

(that counts for the whole film)

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

2004Zilla wrote:
Janjira54 wrote:How about the part in Hedorah where a baby was stuck in skreeonking sludge?
It was certainly something you don't see every day.

(that counts for the whole film)
Actually, I do see the whole film every day.

I think I'm addicted.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

ZillaJr-KaijuKing
G-Force Personnel

Post by ZillaJr-KaijuKing »

I don't remember that for some reason and I watched the movie just days ago.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

ZillaJr-KaijuKing wrote:
I don't remember that for some reason and I watched the movie just days ago.
It's part of the TV screen montage/collage.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

There were also these eerie shots of this statue melting and it had really weird music accompanying it. In short, Godzilla vs Hedorah is weird and has a really schizophrenic tone not knowing if it wants to be a drug trip, an environmental warning, a kids film or a superhero flick with Godzilla. But we all know this!

Pretty much any time the violence gets a little overboard. Godzilla has always had fair amounts of fantasy violence but anytime you see human deaths or the implications it super dark. Many scenes in GMK are like this. Same for Megagurius.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:Pretty much any time the violence gets a little overboard. Godzilla has always had fair amounts of fantasy violence but anytime you see human deaths or the implications it super dark. Many scenes in GMK are like this. Same for Megagurius.
One bit of violence that always leaped out at me was Torahata's death in Mothra vs. Godzilla, since it's so graphic, and the work on a human rather than a monster. It's a very stark, real moment in an otherwise very light movie.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

eabaker wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:Pretty much any time the violence gets a little overboard. Godzilla has always had fair amounts of fantasy violence but anytime you see human deaths or the implications it super dark. Many scenes in GMK are like this. Same for Megagurius.
One bit of violence that always leaped out at me was Torahata's death in Mothra vs. Godzilla, since it's so graphic, and the work on a human rather than a monster. It's a very stark, real moment in an otherwise very light movie.
That never bothered me because at this point in the series Godzilka was supposed to, or at least trying to be dark. It's different then gun shooting in Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
eabaker wrote:
That never bothered me because at this point in the series Godzilka was supposed to, or at least trying to be dark. It's different then gun shooting in Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla.
I didn't say it bothered me, just that it stands out from the rest of the movie. I like that about it; after presenting Kumayama as a bumbling comic character and Torahata as kind of a sleaze you love to hate, the movie forces you to realize, these people are part of a genuinely awful enterprise, being driven to grotesque behavior. It helps drive home the point of the movie.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Which is what makes their end so poetic. They both try to hold onto their ill gotten gain, and end up dead for it.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.