How Do The Daiei Kaiju Compare To Toho Kaiju?

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

How Do The Daiei Kaiju Compare To Toho Kaiju?

Postby Lain Of The Wired » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:49 am

So I've been wondering about what fans thought about the Daiei Kaiju compared to the Toho, who do YOU think is better? Why?

ImageImage
Last edited by Lain Of The Wired on Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Re: How Do The Daiei Kaiju Compare To Toho Kaiju?

Postby Lain Of The Wired » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:40 am

^ I don't
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

Space Hunter M
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Space Hunter M » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:09 am

"Thad Gamera? Shieeeeet... Everybody knows, Toho make the best Kayjus. C'mon, Gamera? With that little shell and poop? Shieeet, thing looks like a deeldo."
TK's only diehard RMA King Arthur series historian
"All you did was download the ROMs anyway! You can hardly call yourself a real fan!"

I THINK IT STINKS!
SuperMonsterZero wrote:Mire Goji. That must be the Godzilla from the Italian Dogora poster.
Chrispy_G wrote:Dead is my childhood

ImageImageImage
"Follow the light. The light is your guide."
"Cherenkov light?"

ก็อตซิลลา
哥吉拉

Megalon-5
G-Grasper

Postby Megalon-5 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:25 am

"Gamera can't do anything bu suck diiieeck."

Rody
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Rody » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:56 am

Toho has an immediate advantage because there are so many more of their kaiju than Daiei's (Does Daiei have any kaiju other than Daimajin and the Gamera roster?).
That said, I'll try to be balanced in comparison:

SHOWA
That I know of, Daiei has 9 kaiju: Gamera, Daimajin*, Barugon, Gyaos, Viras, Space Gyaos, Guiron, Jiger, and Zigra. Toho has triple that number; but even regardless of quantity, I think that the best of Daiei's kaiju (let's say Gamera, Gyaos & Barugon) are certainly inferior to Toho's best (let's say Godzilla, Mothra, & Ghidorah), and even Daiei's worst (let's say Viras and Jiger) doesn't compare well to Toho's worst (let's say Gabara and Jet Jaguar).
Toho definitely wins this one.

HEISEI
Now things get more interesting. Although Toho still has Daiei outnumbered roughly 4 to 1, quality is now balanced out more. This time, Gamera is pulled off far better than Godzilla was in the 90's films. Gyaos outdoes every single one of Toho's flying monsters, Legion certainly rivals Biollante and Death Ghidorah in size, complexity, and competent execution, and Irys is probably on par with Grand King Ghidorah.
I would probably call this one a tie, though I personally favor Gamera.

We can't technically do Millennium, because Daiei is no longer existent. Gamera the Brave was made by Kadokawa.
Still, Toto and Zedus were pulled off excellently, and I'd say they rival GMK and the Kiryu dualogy.

* I haven't seen the Daimajin films yet, so I can't properly judge on him.

Billzillasaurus Rex
Ronin

Postby Billzillasaurus Rex » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:51 pm

Even though I like the 90s gamera movies I think I prefer the monsters from Showa movies because they looked like giant monsters and there was more creativity in the suit design like Viras(not using a marionnette for a squid and not looking like it was falling apart like gezora)and jiger(knees not touching ground) gyaos in gotu I didn't care much for. Prop too stiff and costume head to big.( hey I still love the movies) legion was kind of over designed to me but still looked cool but kinda busy. Iris was heavily anime influenced but I liked it though it was very busy looking. I like zeduses look though I've yet to see the movie mainly cause it went for more of a kids film. I guess I like my monsters to look like monsters not over designed things(though I liked my share).

edgaguirus
Kwaidan

Postby edgaguirus » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:56 pm

Daiei had some creative kaiju, but some of those films were hard to watch. Toho's films were better in quality, and , most importantly, weren't filled with annoying kids. The 90s Gamera films, though, were great.
Kaiju are just like people- giant, radioactive people.

Megalon went into a bar and saw Gigan. Megalon said, " Again? I thought you gave this up."
" What can I say," Gigan asked. " I'm hooked."

Godzilla6014
Interpol Agent

Postby Godzilla6014 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:34 am

Varan Bon Ziller wrote:
Tyler wrote:Old Godzilla > Gamera
New Gamera > Godzilla

Pretty much sums it up.

yeah it pretty much does I've never before in my life seen a Gamera film but from what little research I've done online Gamera seems to like to copycat Godzilla a lot.
Legionmaster wrote:Yeah how dare people talk about the things they like. What assholes.

Return to “General Toho Films”