Best suit for the job

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
miguelnuva
Seatopian Daikaiju

Best suit for the job

Postby miguelnuva » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:50 pm

Okay, so say Toho is remaking all current Godzilla films and there asking you which suits to use for all the films which suit would you use to represent the entire 3 series of Godzilla films. Only rule is theShodaiGoji is still in the 54 film and in Destroyer we still get the meltdown look, but you get 1 suit for all of Showa, 1 for all of heisei and 1 for all of the millennium series. You also don't have to use a suit that was from the era for example if you wanted to use the KingGoji in the Millennium

54 film: ShodaiGoji

Showa Series: MosuGoji

Heisei: BioGoji/GhidoGoji

Millennium: SokogekiGoji
Last edited by miguelnuva on Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You can put it on my Tombstone Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira
my personal take

Shadow Area 1-0

MaxRebo320
G-Force Lieutenant

Re: Best suit for the job

Postby MaxRebo320 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:52 pm

I...don't get this thread...
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby eabaker » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:57 pm

MaxRebo320 wrote:I...don't get this thread...

I get it, and yet I can't entirely get my head around it.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

MaxRebo320
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby MaxRebo320 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:03 pm

I guess if you're asking what suit would represent each era, I'd go with:

SHOWA: SoshingekiGoji
HEISEI: MogeGoji
MILLENIUM: MireGoji

What I don't get at all is the whole using suits from a certain era to represent a different era.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

miguelnuva
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby miguelnuva » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:05 pm

Let me try to explaina gain.

Toho is remaking GRA- FW and you get to pick 1 suit to represent each era, 1 suit for showa, 1 for Heisei and 1 for the Millenium films, you get to pick any suit already made for each era which suit would you guys pick.
my personal take

Shadow Area 1-0

Rody
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Rody » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:09 pm

I don't think this is fully possible. I can see Mosu-Goji working up until Destroy All Monsters, but I think you would need a different suit for the heroic 70's.

Heisei is easier; Godzilla's character didn't change drastically. I would go with Bio-Goji (although '84-Goji looks pretty good).

I can see Kiryu-Goji working for most of the Millennium films, but I have trouble placing it in GMK, and it wouldn't work at all for FW.

eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby eabaker » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:10 pm

I guess the most flexible suit in terms of being able to work as a hero or a villain, as the Showa era requires, would be the DaisensoGoji.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Rody
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Rody » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:18 pm

^ You're probably right; ironically, that may be the reason I dislike it to a certain extent. It doesn't portray a distinct enough personality, IMO.

Rody
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Rody » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:28 pm

I do like it better than Gyakushu-Goji, Mire-Goji, the 90's suits, and probably Megaro-Goji. I'd say it's on par with Soshingecki-Goji for me.

MaxRebo320
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby MaxRebo320 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:33 pm

Why exactly is it forbidden that we use any other suit aside from the one used for the 1954 film?

miguelnuva
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby miguelnuva » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:44 pm

MaxRebo320 wrote:Why exactly is it forbidden that we use any other suit aside from the one used for the 1954 film?

Since it was the first I thought I would let G54 keep his spot as the first Godzilla.
my personal take

Shadow Area 1-0

eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby eabaker » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:52 pm

Varan Bon Ziller wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:
MaxRebo320 wrote:Why exactly is it forbidden that we use any other suit aside from the one used for the 1954 film?

Since it was the first I thought I would let G54 keep his spot as the first Godzilla.

But he was only in one film of fourteen films...

Fifteen.

And he was in two, if you count the footage viewed in GRA.

The bigger point may be that, since it's a different creature than the one in the next 14 films, it can be argued that it's not really a different suit for the same character, but a different character altogether.

I guess.

Breakdown
Kwaidan

Postby Breakdown » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:58 pm

Showa: MosuGoji

Heisei: Godzilla '84 or MogeGoji

Millenium: MireGoji
ImageBaby free at last! Thank Megatron I'm free at last!

JAGzilla
Keizer

Postby JAGzilla » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:56 am

The variety of suits is a big part of Showa's appeal. It would've been boring if they'd used any one suit through the whole series. Same with Millenium.

Heisei would've been better off sticking with Biogoji, though. I don't particularly like any of the other suits.

Gojira1963
Futurian

Postby Gojira1963 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:28 am

Gyaos wrote:Showa: MosuGoji

Heisei: Godzilla '84 or MogeGoji

Millenium: MireGoji

My answers would be the same! Those are also my three favorite suits!
Liam F.

My science fiction/Fantasy blog. with Godzilla content! http://foleyfunfilmfacts.wordpress.com/

pikmintaro
JXSDF Technician

Postby pikmintaro » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:19 am

I'm not sure which Godzilla suits are which (MogeGoji? SokogekiGoji? I don't know this terminology!) but what I would pick.

Showa: The Godzilla suit from Godzilla vs Mothra, that was my favorite, and I think it would be pretty epic to have Godzilla be heroic, but still look angry all the time.
Or they could just use the original Godzilla suit, I would love that.

Heisei: Ehh they mostly look pretty much the same (To me.) but I guess I would pick the Godzilla vs Biollante one.

Millenium: Well I think that I would pick the Final Wars Godzilla, and for GMK just make his eyes white, although seeing him getting his butt whooped in GXM, and Tokyo S.O.S. would make me rage.
"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. John 15:13"
Favorite Godzilla movies
Showa Mothra vs Godzilla| Heisei Godzilla vs Destroyer| Millenium Godzilla Final Wars

Rody
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Rody » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:05 pm

^ The suit used in MvsG & Ghidorah was Mosu-Goji (for "Mosura").
The Biollante suit is called Bio-Goji (for Biollante).
I believe GMK's Japanese title was 'Daikaiju Sokogecki;' hence the Godzilla suit is called Sokogecki-Goji.

Check this thread for the complete list of known names for Godzilla suits.

Goji
Kwaidan

Postby Goji » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:20 pm

miguelnuva wrote:Let me try to explaina gain.

Toho is remaking GRA- FW and you get to pick 1 suit to represent each era, 1 suit for showa, 1 for Heisei and 1 for the Millenium films, you get to pick any suit already made for each era which suit would you guys pick.

The problem with this is that a lot of people are just going to pick their personal favorites. Not to mention it's entirely subjective as to which Godzilla represents their era best..essentially making it another favorites thread in disguise.

Another issue you have is that the Showa series has *a lot* of different (awesome) Godzilla designs, many of which people have strong personal attachments to..which will cause a lot of people to pick their personal favorite 'just because'. As much as I would have loved to see the KingGoji in more than one starring role, I don't know that the suit would have fit some of the other Godzilla films from this era. Same goes for the MosuGoji.

-I almost want to say that the ShoshingekiGoji ('68-'71) should be the suit used..but as much as I love it, it's a bit too anthropomorphic for my tastes. Just a bit; not much. My *personal* pick would be the KingGoji, but the issue is that it wouldn't really fit in films like GODZILLA VS. THE SEA MONSTER, SON OF GODZILLA, IMO.

-Heisei is easy. Use the '89 Godzilla suit (minus the inflated chest from '91), and either with the '89 (suit) head, or '91 (suit) head. Use the more menacing '84-'91 roar for all the films.

-I don't care for the MireGoji, and he wouldn't fit at all in GMK, GFW, or the Kiryu films. On the other hand, the GMK Godzilla could work with added pupils, and a few other modifications. It was originally going to be used for the Kiryu films, after all..
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you

Rody
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Rody » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:47 am

Goji wrote:On the other hand, the GMK Godzilla could work with added pupils, and a few other modifications. It was originally going to be used for the Kiryu films, after all..

It WAS??
Well, I like Kiryu-Goji, but I would almost certainly trade it in for a chance to see Sokogecki-Goji again.

JAGzilla
Keizer

Postby JAGzilla » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:40 am

^ I wouldn't. I don't particularly like the Kiryu-Goji suit, but I think Sokogecki was best as a one-time suit. It worked well for its role in GMK, but I don't think it would have the same impact outside that movie. It had some annoying flaws, anyway. I would've wanted it to be pretty extensively modified if it was going to be used again. The eyes and potbelly would need to be changed, at least.

EDIT: 2000 posts. Not a lot compared to some of you, but still a big milestone.

Return to “General Toho Films”