Film from Monster POV?

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
DaveTheAnalyzer
Samurai

Film from Monster POV?

Post by DaveTheAnalyzer »

I've seen people complain about how much Godzilla and other monster movies concentrate on the humans, either because they aren't well developed or they just to see the monsters already. Handling human characters aside, it made me wonder how a monster film from the monster's point of view would be.

I would certainly be interested in it. No matter how much I might like the human characters, the giants are usually the reason I come to watch. It'd be interesting to have some character exploration, seeing how they react to their surroundings and interact with other monsters.

I can see the challenge, though. Barring CGI, complex animatronics and suits would be needed to communicate the body language to the audience. Setting the scene would also be necessary. Even with all the best that can be done, sometimes some human characters might be dragged out to spell out what precisely is going on and what is being said.

Even with these potential problems, I would like to see filmmakers make a go at this. What are your thoughts?

Dust_pan
Futurian

Re: Film from Monster POV?

Post by Dust_pan »

Maybe as a short film, kinda like Dark Horse's Godzilla vs The Stranger comic. It would be different from a lot of the giant monster movies we get, in a possibly good way.

Though I'd prefer to see more movies that know how to handle the human characters/plot well.
Q: Will we see that monster that Bryan was going to reveal this morning at the press conference?
Cranston: Oh yeah! The only Godzilla movie with an X-rating.

Ligerzilla2014
G-Grasper

Post by Ligerzilla2014 »

I like the idea of seeing things through the monster's eyes although I think the idea would work better for a video game. Imagine a first person monster game where you can focus on destroying the city AS WELL as fighting monsters. The graphics would be almost entirely focused on creating a detailed and realistic world to rampage through with advanced physics for the destruction similar to Battle 3 where, if a bullet hit something, it doesn't simply leave a bullet hole, but will actually affect the environment like destroying flowerpots or removing a chunk of concrete. You would also have to deal with a large military response as opposed to a few jets and tanks like in previous games. It could also be open world, allowing you to travel across the globe, even revisiting destroyed cities to enjoy the carnage. The cities could also rebuild slowly over time to show the humans trying to reconstruct destroyed districts and such. There could also be little tidbits to remind you that show how you yourself look, such as seeing your reflection in glass buildings as you walk by or in the water as you enter it.

Oh, hehe. Guess I got a bit carried away. Sorry. :)

gzilla46
Futurian

Post by gzilla46 »

I'd be interested in a Dreamworks Animation comedy about a giant monster who has a dream of joining the ranks of giant monsters like Godzilla in the art of city-destroying. He is determined to prove himself worthy. However, when he is allowed to destroy his first city, he ends up getting captured by the humans. Now, his best friend and a group of misfit giant monsters have to team up to save the main monster character from the evil humans.

It could be like the Wreck-it-Ralph of giant monsters
Shadow Arena Records:

Wins: 1
Losses: 0

DaveTheAnalyzer
Samurai

Post by DaveTheAnalyzer »

ligerzilla2014 wrote:I like the idea of seeing things through the monster's eyes although I think the idea would work better for a video game. Imagine a first person monster game where you can focus on destroying the city AS WELL as fighting monsters. The graphics would be almost entirely focused on creating a detailed and realistic world to rampage through with advanced physics for the destruction similar to Battle 3 where, if a bullet hit something, it doesn't simply leave a bullet hole, but will actually affect the environment like destroying flowerpots or removing a chunk of concrete. You would also have to deal with a large military response as opposed to a few jets and tanks like in previous games. It could also be open world, allowing you to travel across the globe, even revisiting destroyed cities to enjoy the carnage. The cities could also rebuild slowly over time to show the humans trying to reconstruct destroyed districts and such. There could also be little tidbits to remind you that show how you yourself look, such as seeing your reflection in glass buildings as you walk by or in the water as you enter it.

I kinda have an idea that goes off and on that explores the origins of Godzilla and other monsters from birth until the pleasant. It is more story-centered though. *shrugs* Guess it's why I wouldn't be able to make a video game.

I'm also thinking at what angle the monsters would be observed, and what it means in context for the story. Staring up at the monsters that show how they are barely comprehensible wonders of nature; equal eye-level to show they have emotions as well; and from above when they are at their weakest moment. One scene that I have in mind was staring up at Godzilla and Anguirus as they stare at each other, switching to their height as the slightly shaky camera focuses on the emotion in their eyes. Don't know how well that would come out, but oh well.

Ligerzilla2014
G-Grasper

Post by Ligerzilla2014 »

^i like the idea of the alternating cameras. I would put the cameras on a few vehicles, but only when you are destroying the city unopposed and have them switch between each other. For example, the camera would start out on a tank a you would play from that angle. Then when the tank is destroyed, it would switch to a helicopter camera. I would only do this when there are no real threats because trying to fight a monster like that would be a real pain in the ass. The only hard part about a game like this is trying to build a story around it.

gzilla46
Futurian

Post by gzilla46 »

DaveTheAnalyzer wrote:
ligerzilla2014 wrote:I like the idea of seeing things through the monster's eyes although I think the idea would work better for a video game. Imagine a first person monster game where you can focus on destroying the city AS WELL as fighting monsters. The graphics would be almost entirely focused on creating a detailed and realistic world to rampage through with advanced physics for the destruction similar to Battle 3 where, if a bullet hit something, it doesn't simply leave a bullet hole, but will actually affect the environment like destroying flowerpots or removing a chunk of concrete. You would also have to deal with a large military response as opposed to a few jets and tanks like in previous games. It could also be open world, allowing you to travel across the globe, even revisiting destroyed cities to enjoy the carnage. The cities could also rebuild slowly over time to show the humans trying to reconstruct destroyed districts and such. There could also be little tidbits to remind you that show how you yourself look, such as seeing your reflection in glass buildings as you walk by or in the water as you enter it.

I kinda have an idea that goes off and on that explores the origins of Godzilla and other monsters from birth until the pleasant. It is more story-centered though. *shrugs* Guess it's why I wouldn't be able to make a video game.

I'm also thinking at what angle the monsters would be observed, and what it means in context for the story. Staring up at the monsters that show how they are barely comprehensible wonders of nature; equal eye-level to show they have emotions as well; and from above when they are at their weakest moment. One scene that I have in mind was staring up at Godzilla and Anguirus as they stare at each other, switching to their height as the slightly shaky camera focuses on the emotion in their eyes. Don't know how well that would come out, but oh well.
What about my idea? The animated comedy I posted above. What do you think of that?
Shadow Arena Records:

Wins: 1
Losses: 0

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

While it's a good idea to give monsters some level of personality, I prefer a certain level of ambiguity to their nature as well. If I see everything about the kaiju analyzed and explained, it would take away the inherent intrigue of the "strange beasts".

Connor
Monsterland Worker

Post by Connor »

^Too true.

Would a "boy and his Godzilla" plot do?

Starsteam
Keizer

Post by Starsteam »

It'll be neat, but it would probably work best as a short feature. I liked that issue of Dark Horse's Godzilla, although the narration helped the story. Maybe something along the lines of Walking with Dinosaurs, but with kaiju,

Godzilla2000Zero
Gotengo Officer

Post by Godzilla2000Zero »

gzilla46 wrote:I'd be interested in a Dreamworks Animation comedy about a giant monster who has a dream of joining the ranks of giant monsters like Godzilla in the art of city-destroying. He is determined to prove himself worthy. However, when he is allowed to destroy his first city, he ends up getting captured by the humans. Now, his best friend and a group of misfit giant monsters have to team up to save the main monster character from the evil humans.

It could be like the Wreck-it-Ralph of giant monsters
That would be a good idea.
I never worked this hard all my life since the time I lost my virginity.-Gareth Edwards SDCC 2012

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

Honestly, I think this is a great idea. It would be easy to make a film from a kaiju's point of view, but more difficult to create a good movie around it. Cloverfield at least had it easier because there were people talking. With a kaiju ... not so simple. So I feel like to some extent the movie should be on the short side of things; 80 minutes or so should be adequate to leave some mystique and unanswered questions that such a movie could intentionally leave given its style.

So I vote a big fat YES, but it'd be hard to do well. If it worked out well though, it'd be an incredibly unique film.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

Laserface121
Monarch Researcher

Post by Laserface121 »

I'd like to see the Godzilla Junior arc series (MechaGodzilla II, SpaceGodzilla and Destoroyah) seen through the eyes of Junior himself up to the point he becomes king.