Suitamation question

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
g2kmaster
JXSDF Technician

Suitamation question

Postby g2kmaster » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:30 pm

Do you think there would be any moral delimas if a Godzilla film, using suitamation, utilized people with gigantism to be the suit actors to make larger suits and much more detailed sets?

edgaguirus
Kwaidan

Re: Suitamation question

Postby edgaguirus » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:42 pm

They could use them, but with miniature sets and green screen, you could make anyone look like a giant.
Kaiju are just like people- giant, radioactive people.

Megalon went into a bar and saw Gigan. Megalon said, " Again? I thought you gave this up."
" What can I say," Gigan asked. " I'm hooked."

g2kmaster
JXSDF Technician

Postby g2kmaster » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:55 pm

I was thinking that the use of people with gigantism would mean larger scale sets and more detailed suits. Have a company like ILM or Weta produce the sets using laser cutting technology, and with a bit of some CG coupled with a great SFX director, it could be some of the best looking stuff as far as suitamation goes.

Lioconvoy
Yojimbo

Postby Lioconvoy » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:49 am

i would prefer the suitmation
mostly because i don't like CGI

Rody
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Rody » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:15 am

CGI is good when it's done at its best - but EVERYTHING today is done in CGI, so it doesn't impress me much anymore.
I will always have a soft spot for practical effects, and I love them even more whenever I learn more about the time & effort put into them. Sure, CGI takes a lot of work too, but it's all done in a virtual realm. Suits and miniatures are REAL. They have to be built and crafted by hand, and that impresses me a lot more.

Return to “General Toho Films”