The constant need to redesign and update kaiju

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
gojira012
Interpol Agent

The constant need to redesign and update kaiju

Post by gojira012 »

We all know that Famous Kaiju get updated looks all the time. So for the number that haven't been updated yet what would need to stay and what would need to go?

edgaguirus
Keizer

Re: The constant need to redesign and update kaiju

Post by edgaguirus »

The redesign can be influenced by a few factors, but it seems to usually come down to what the director/production crew want and the artist imagination. I'd expect the kaiju to not change that much.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

gojira012
Interpol Agent

Post by gojira012 »

Well let's take Titanosaurus what can stay and will need to change

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

If - IF - Toho were to bring back Titanosaurus and tweak his design, I'd say the only thing they should (much less need to) do is streamline him a little more.
....But he's fine the way he is - as are (or were) many Toho kaiju.

If it ain't broke....DON'T....FIX....IT.

MegaLagoras
Yojimbo

Post by MegaLagoras »

gojira012 wrote:Well let's take Titanosaurus what can stay and will need to change
Titano's fine. In fact, I'd say pretty much all of the mainstream Godzilla kaiju, except for Gabara, have had an appearence that seems cool to me by this point. In fact, it's a lot of the kaiju from Ultraman, who Tsuburaya seems really scared to update, that actually need it, not the Godzilla kaiju. As for Gabara, just get rid of the hair and make his face fiercer.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

MegaLagoras wrote:In fact, it's a lot of the kaiju from Ultraman, who Tsuburaya seems really scared to update, that actually need it, not the Godzilla kaiju.
I disagree here. Most of the Ultramonsters that have made recurring appearances recently (e.g. Gomora, Red King, Zetton, Velokron, Vakishm) look fine the way they are.
Some of the aliens, however HAVE been modified when they needed it (e.g. Hipporito, Temperor).

natevirus
G-Force Personnel
Location: Normally, I'M EEEEVEERYWHEERREE!!! Physically, on Earth...Mentally, somewhere unpleasant...

Post by natevirus »

At the very least, I'd say to update some of the details of Kaiju like Titanosaurus. At least in terms of how the suit would look. Could make the kaiju look a little more fleshed out or something like some of the Kaiju that did get updated looks or more modern appearances in films. :|
"Just because you think you are a fan of something doesn't mean you have to be a bias prick about it." ಠ_ಠ
I guess I just enjoy things just to enjoy them...Nothing wrong with that, right? Isn't that what fans do?